Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SHUSHIWA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:45 pm 

SHUSHIWA

For:OKINAWA BUJUTSU HOZON KAI

The name Pan Gai Noon came from the two styles of Chinese boxing from which it derived. The first, Southern Shaolin Fist, consisted of hard body training and was primarily offensive; emphasis was placed on fingertip (nukite) training. Practitioners were known for having fingers like iron. The second, Eishun Fist, was a soft style known for its defensive skills. Shushiwa is believed to have combined the two styles to create a system that used hard techniques for offense and soft techniques for defense. The single-knuckle punch (shoken or ipponken), spear-hand strike (nukite), pointed-toe kick (sokusen) and circle block (wauke), are signature moves of Pangainoon.

Legend attributes Shushiwa with great strength. He reportedly could hold the weight of two men hanging from the fingertips of his outstretched arms. He also taught Chinese medicine and was an accomplished painter and calligrapher. Shushiwa was renowned for his physical prowess and he balanced his “hard” work with “soft” pursuits, including calligraphy – some businesses in Fuchow still have signs purportedly painted by Shushiwa.

Shushiwa stood as other patriotic Chinese in secret societies, in conjunction with the Qing Dynasty and the overthrow Ming dynasty back to power would bring. He earned his living with the manufacture of herbal medicine and alleged that the son of a farmer. They found out, however, that it is identical to the priest Sosei from a temple at Nansei. His teacher was Jizen, a famous martial arts expert. Sosei was accused of subversive activities by the Manchurian authorities searched and lived under the pseudonym Chou Tsu-Ho as a champion of herbal medicine. Later was learned that the temple at Nansei since 1768 as a shelter for secret servers.

Shushiwa, described as an intelligent and dedicated student, became proficient in several forms of Chinese boxing, particularly Tiger Fist, one of the Five Fists of Fujian Shaolin. He was the leading figure of Chinese Nanpa Shaolin Fist, and performed ascetic practices for 13 years. Its unique point is the systemization of the offensive and defensive principles of three creatures the Dragon, the Tiger and the Crane. Shushiwa contracted a severe illness and died in 1926, at the young age of fifty-two.

The three kata directly taught by Shushiwa: Sanchin, Seisan and Sanseiryu.

Shushiwa connects today with the formation of the Uechi-ryu. Uechi Kanbun, who later founded the style, traveled 1897 after Fuzhou (China) and began in Kojo Dojo training. Uechi was student of the local Udun Chokun Makabe, but Makabe had a speech impediment, and one day called him Uechi Watabu-gwa (large abdomen). Uechi then left the dojo and Okinawa and traveled to Fuzhou where while at the Kojo dojo met Shushiwa and became his student of Pangai noon.

The name Pan Gai Noon came from the two styles of Chinese boxing from which it derived. The first, Southern Shaolin Fist, consisted of hard body training and was primarily offensive; emphasis was placed on fingertip (nukite) training. Practitioners were known for having fingers like iron. The second, Eishun Fist, was a soft style known for its defensive skills. Shushiwa is believed to have combined the two styles to create a system that used hard techniques for offense and soft techniques for defense. The single-knuckle punch (shoken or ipponken), spear-hand strike (nukite), pointed-toe kick (sokusen) and circle block (wauke), are signature moves of Pangainoon.

Legend attributes Shushiwa with great strength. He reportedly could hold the weight of two men hanging from the fingertips of his outstretched arms. He also taught Chinese medicine and was an accomplished painter and calligrapher. Shushiwa was renowned for his physical prowess and he balanced his “hard” work with “soft” pursuits, including calligraphy – some businesses in Fuchow still have signs purportedly painted by Shushiwa.

Shushiwa stood as other patriotic Chinese in secret societies, in conjunction with the Qing Dynasty and the overthrow Ming dynasty back to power would bring. He earned his living with the manufacture of herbal medicine and alleged that the son of a farmer. They found out, however, that it is identical to the priest Sosei from a temple at Nansei. His teacher was Jizen, a famous martial arts expert. Sosei was accused of subversive activities by the Manchurian authorities searched and lived under the pseudonym Chou Tsu-Ho as a champion of herbal medicine. Later was learned that the temple at Nansei since 1768 as a shelter for secret servers.

Shushiwa, described as an intelligent and dedicated student, became proficient in several forms of Chinese boxing, particularly Tiger Fist, one of the Five Fists of Fujian Shaolin. He was the leading figure of Chinese Nanpa Shaolin Fist, and performed ascetic practices for 13 years. Its unique point is the systemization of the offensive and defensive principles of three creatures the Dragon, the Tiger and the Crane. Shushiwa contracted a severe illness and died in 1926, at the young age of fifty-two.

The three kata directly taught by Shushiwa: Sanchin, Seisan and Sanseiryu.

Shushiwa connects today with the formation of the Uechi-ryu. Uechi Kanbun, who later founded the style, traveled 1897 after Fuzhou (China) and began in Kojo Dojo training. Uechi was student of the local Udun Chokun Makabe, but Makabe had a speech impediment, and one day called him Uechi Watabu-gwa (large abdomen). Uechi then left the dojo and Okinawa and traveled to Fuzhou where while at the Kojo dojo met Shushiwa and became his student of Pangai noon.

Post subject: Re: SHUSHIWA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:21 pm 

Thank you for the post, Carlos. Who wrote this article?

A couple of things:

Quote:
Legend attributes Shushiwa with great strength. He reportedly could hold the weight of two men hanging from the fingertips of his outstretched arms.

I wonder if this is really possible for any human being, no matter how strong.

Let's see what Bill Glasheen thinks of this...Bill?

It must have been those finger tips that killed those tigers :wink:

Quote:
Uechi Kanbun, who later founded the style, traveled 1897 after Fuzhou (China) and began in Kojo Dojo training. Uechi was student of the local Udun Chokun Makabe, but Makabe had a speech impediment, and one day called him Uechi Watabu-gwa (large abdomen).
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:36 am 

Hello Carlos,

I take it you were not the one who wrote the article.

From a historical perspective, it would be interesting to know if the writer of this article gives any foot notes as to where he gained this information, such as historical research i.e., books, articles, temple documents, actual proven
historical facts, etc.

I will forward the article to Bob Campbell sensei, who as a member of the Royal Asiatic Society_ has access to a fabulous Asian Library in HK , where he can check out any documentation ever put into writing.

This, of course is meant as no offense to the writer of the article, just a way to establish the veracity of all that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:39 am 

Actually Van Sensei, Ric Lostritto and someone else did an article on this once,, They measured the carrying Stones that Shushiwa was supposed to have had *Or the diminsions recorded) and did the math as if it was granite( which most were made of back then) and it did measure some Un Godly weight... They weren't like Sanchin Gami that you see in Okinawa thoughThe figertips sort of fit inside...

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:51 am 

Thanks Stevie, it would be really interesting to know if there is any recorded
documentation anywhere of such stories from a historical perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:53 pm 

Another point of interest.

From my information _ It was rumored that Kanbun had the speech impediment, not Makabe (whose
grandson Gordi Breyette met ). Toyama Sensei told that Kanbun had no such
impediment, he just didn't speak much while working out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:47 pm 

aqui el autor menciona la fuente:

Dojos Ciriza Uechi-Ryu el 99 % de la informacion que me dio, la tenia, solo me faltaba la fecha de fallecimiento y la imagen muy buena que no la conocia, muy amable. mi pregunta es de donde es la fuente delos datos
Hace 21 horas · Me gusta

Okinawa Bujutsu Hozon Kyokai de nada hermano en las artes..como le dije es parte de mi libro escrito con la informacion que he recopilado durante mi vida en este camino..la "foto" es una de varias litografias que tengo en mi posecion que fueron dadas a mi persona por mi maestro Kenjiro "Kishaba" Kuniba.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:51 pm 

Voy apedirle el nombre de ese libro que menciona !!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm 

The speech impediment part is correct..They said Kanbun had a lisp..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:49 pm 

Here is the article that Rik wrote awhile back.. Pretty cool stuff..

http://www.pangai-noon.net/Training_Stones.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:05 pm 

Good article Stevie, I had seen that before. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:59 am 

Hey Van... Speaking of speech impediments... What the heck is Carlos rambling on about in the last 2 posts?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:37 am 

Data source of information:
Shushiwa information on this in a book written in Spanish, ¨ ¨ The Budo Way, the author is called Sensei Robert Martinez, will be on sale in 4 weeks.
in the second chapter deals with the subject of the origins of karate in Okinawa and Chinese teachers, where this art came to the Ryukyus.
According to the author of whom I have as one of my contacts in my Facebook, the information in this second chapter, was supplied by your Sensei Kenjiro "Kishaba" Kuniba ..
next to the information sent me an illustration of Shu Shi Wa very good, if you want to have it can lift my facebook. Dojos Ciriza Uechi Ryu .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:06 am 

Stevie,

Carlos was trying to explain the source of the information, which he eventually did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 am 

:lol: .