Newlinks for viewing

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Victor Smith

Newlinks for viewing

Post by Victor Smith »

Bill,

I think you will enjoy these videos.

Uechi-ryu Karate-do Kenseikai. Part 01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R730giWDKM
Uechi-ryu Karate-do Kenseikai. Part 02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvOEh7KIC1U
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Bill Glasheen

Re: Newlinks for viewing

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Thanks for posting these, Victor.

I used to keep these sorts of opinions to myself. But now that I've had 40 years of karate training behind me, I realize that most of these guys were kids when I started. So I guess white hair in my goatee gives me the right to be an opinionated curmudgeon. :lol:

In general the karate is great, the conditioning is great, and the practitioners appear capable.

However...

More and more as I get to understand my art, I realize that many such practitioners doing bunkai don't understand a good half of Kanbun's art, or they're hiding "the good stuff" from the gaijin. I'll give most of them the benefit of the doubt, and assume the latter. The problem with it all however is that the propagation of a "neutered" version of our art in my opinion constitutes a failure to honor the art. It is after all martial.

Perhaps many of the bunkai I've either been shown or just figured out on my own (thank you, UVa biomedical engineering education) are too violent to share with the general public. Perhaps these techniques are better shared at Quantico so our Marines can off a few bad guys. Who knows?

In any case it's always great to hear from you, Victor. I think about you, and pray that your health is the best it can be.

- Bill
Victor Smith

Post by Victor Smith »

Bill,

iI'm glad you found the links of some value.

I am stabilized but not improving as of yet. I was just given an IVIG infusion for the last 5 days to see if helps, but as I was told it migh take some time to se if there is an effect.

I still train as best I can, I feel that the arts are the best thing I have working for me.

If I see somehing new I will continue to post it.

Sincerely,
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Rick Potrekus

Post by Rick Potrekus »

Bill, You hit it square on the head. 90% of what is put out there is simply "Omote" basic or public knowledge. It is basic, linear and often devoid of any flow or footwork. When was the last time you saw anything we did not learn in the early 70s? Sensei Itokazu taught that, Kata teaches precise controlled movements with power and it is up to the student to "figure out what else you can do". He did not just leave it at that but would lead you in different directions. Some of which took me a long time to realize, creating that "damn so that's how he did that" moment. Most only saw what they wanted, his strength and power but may times he made me feel helpless by just not being there and me trying to figure out how I ended up on my ass.

Wish we could get together more often. 2 years to retirement then maybe a road trip is in order!
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Damn Gaigin..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”