Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: STREET PSYCHOLOGY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:03 am 

This is an interesting article...

http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety ... your-life/

This may be applicable to civilians as well when you get through reading!
Quote:
To save your own skin, you must conduct psychological profiling. Essentially you have to be able to sum up someone’s intentions in front of you and decide, quickly, how long it would take to get a cover officer there and whether you should try and take this guy on before that. Is he younger, obviously faster and in greater shape than you?

Or perhaps the moment you make contact the fight is on. If you want to add that he is agitated, possibly on methamphetamine, cocaine, alcohol, or in manic phase of bipolar disorder, — or, let’s make it interesting, all the above — you’re in trouble no matter, how big, how strong, what shape you’re in, if you study martial arts, etc.

However, being very tough individuals we always think we can handle ourselves. As I stated earlier, no one was worse than me in that regard. Don’t make the mistake I made and think you can do it on your own.

I don’t know how lucky I was that night. It wasn’t until I saw those five enormous deputies wrestling with the “little dude” that it all became painfully clear that I could have been killed.

You never know who and what you will be up against regardless of 'assumptions' of fighting superiority.
Quote:
Regardless of how big, strong, tough, or the kind of shape you are in, when you come across someone who is an addict, or someone who is severely mentally ill in manic phase of bipolar disorder, you are in trouble.

...Just to reiterate. I cannot turn those of you who read this into shrinks or social workers — nor would I want to. I do want you to go home at night and be with the people who love and care for you.

Just remember some of those behaviors I mentioned and commit them to memory. You will know immediately in your gut what I am talking about — all I ask is that you listen to it and get some help there as soon as it happens.

Now read the police article.

Post subject: Re: STREET PSYCHOLOGY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:32 am 

I work in mental health as a program director of an addiction unit, not a LEO. Rory Miller's book, Talking Them Through, is a great read and helpful to those of us who have to talk people down for a living.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:52 pm 

Good point Josann.

The idea being to be able to judge what you might be getting into by engaging certain people.

One problem some martial artist have, unless properly schooled in tactics, is that because of their prowess, they need fear no one...including a little runt psycho.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 am 

Van Canna wrote:
Good point Josann.

The idea being to be able to judge what you might be getting into by engaging certain people.

One problem some martial artist have, unless properly schooled in tactics, is that because of their prowess, they need fear no one...including a little runt psycho.

And sometimes end up dead. In my profession we have the challenge of having to subdue without injuring in any way. Makes verbal deescalation so much harder and challenging.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:09 am 

Van Canna wrote:
Good point Josann.

:o That's it, what i gonna say is just like this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:44 am 

We, as a people, are funny when it comes to words. "Profiling" has become a hot button topic of political debate....instead of a tactic.

Odd, when you think about it. But fun, when you think about it and don't take it too seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:13 pm 

One of the greatest tactical challenges to the self is the ubiquitous 'emotional highjack' barely dormant in our psyche that can trigger at any moment...see this...

http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/at ... hijack.pdf

Read the examples of it...

And see an example of it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjWi663kXc

Now imagine you driving your car on a daily basis having to put up with the pesky tailgaters and inconsiderate drivers, as only one example of constant provocation...

Think of what emotions flitter through your conscious and subconscious mind that might highjack you in any given moment causing you to get in a heap of trouble...possibly landing you in a hospital and or jail and bankrupt...

We have such a situation now in our dojo...arising from a party scene.

And in many cases...as in Zidane's situation...you know you made a serious mistake but are unrepentant because the other person, you think, deserved what you did or more...no matter what the cost to you.