All times are UTC

Post subject: Fantasy Self Defense
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:10 am 

This article by Mark McYoung 'hits hard' _

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/fa ... elfdefense

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Self Defense
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:02 am 

It does. But, it's basic. To all of us.

I love the Animal. Been reading, listening and studying him for a long time. (I really need to meet him someday.) I wrote him many years ago when I started teaching hand gun retention in Law Enforcement. He was great, answered in great detail and answered everything I bothered him with for several years.

To me - reading him is like listening to everything you know deep inside, but don't want to admit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 pm 

Thanks Otto. But I have met too many who don' get that 'basic' you point out...and scoff at the 'animal' for writing this
Quote:
It is a common misconception in Western culture that being a martial artist means you know how to fight. Not even close to true. In fact, there is an entire hub of this Web page dedicated to disproving that idea and clarifying what martial arts are and aren't good for. What leaves "misconception" and heads into blatant and dangerous lies is that having a black belt in a martial sport system (i.e. Tae Kwon Do) automatically qualifies you for teaching self-defense. Much less instills in you the knowledge of how real crime and violence occurs.

Rory Miller has also been pointing this out in his books.

It is the study of real street violence that does not usually go 'hand in hand' with dojo practice, so some students get sidetracked down 'primrose path'_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 am 

Yes, and it's a bit odd to me. Martial Artists have it all at their fingertips, I mean, it's right there. That base milieu in which we all live. IMO, just about every challenge can be overcome through the experience and knowledge of our Martial resources, even if they don't wear the same colors as us.