It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 pm 

http://news.sky.com/story/1014177/teena ... ht-on-cctv

Ray sent this along...interesting. 8O

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:27 pm 

a man was arrested for this

http://news.sky.com/story/1014973/man-a ... eet-attack

It doesn't say on this particular link but he attacked her because of the way she looked at him 8O
Questions arise about her preparedness, did she have earphones on like so many these days, and of course it is a validatioo of a uechi technique, which looks extremly powerfull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:01 pm 

Another good example of how unpredictable street violence can be.

And to use common sense when using 'your eyes' on a person.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:53 am 

Bottom line is that all the training in the world and anybody is vulnerable to these kinds of attacks. Yeah awareness helps, but you can never be 100% safe.

And is it only me that finds "validation of a uechi attack" to be a dumb comment for this mugging? Sorry Jorvik, no insult implied, but for those of us who consider uechi ryu to be a part of us this just came across to me as not very well thought out. I think some of the baseball bat demos I've seen on this might be validation, but certainly not this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:27 pm 

This isn't just about awareness, he hit her because of the way she looked at him. Maybe a little sneer of superiority as she walked past that bum :(
The problem is you can't always predict how your words or actions will be taken.
reminds me a bit of this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkh6if8TL2U

as to the validation, well its a nasty attack but now you know what one of those techniques will look like in a real fight, also was he a uechika? or was that some streetfighting technique that he just picked up, is it a common street move. Maybe that is how the move found it's way into martial arts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 pm 

jorvik wrote:
This isn't just about awareness, he hit her because of the way she looked at him. Maybe a little sneer of superiority as she walked past that bum :(
The problem is you can't always predict how your words or actions will be taken.
reminds me a bit of this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkh6if8TL2U

as to the validation, well its a nasty attack but now you know what one of those techniques will look like in a real fight, also was he a uechika? or was that some streetfighting technique that he just picked up, is it a common street move. Maybe that is how the move found it's way into martial arts

I don't think this has any bearing how a techniques like this "would look in a real fight." Don't consider this to be a "real fight." I also doubt he studied uechi, or even thought about a technique.

This attack even if there was "a sneer of superiority" is an unexcusable, punk, cowardly act. I get upset at your connecting it to uechi and implying that this demonstrates anything positive- uechi or otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:45 am 

Let's keep cool heads guys. A times we say/write things that just come off the wrong way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:29 am 

Van Canna wrote:
Let's keep cool heads guys. A times we say/write things that just come off the wrong way.

Point made Van. My point is this has nothing to do with what we train or do and proves nothing. I'll bow out with that statement.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:04 pm 

No problem Josann, I understand...it is easy to get 'highjacked' [not that you were] in these discussions...I should know as I have been there in the past.

Thanks for the post.