Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 am 

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/a ... grappling/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:08 pm 

I worked for 23 years in the CPS in England, and all we dealt with was crime so whenever there were acts of violence I would look at the files. It may be different in other parts of the world but in the UK there was little indication that you would end up on the ground in a fight. One of the things people overlook is that when somebody gets knocked down in a fight they get up as quickly as they can, usually because they are frightened of getting kicked when they are down, or they want to kick their opponent when he is down :)

Unlike this guy writing I have no skin in the game I don't do jiu jitsu, but it may surprise you to learn that it was the first martial art that I studied, although probably not genuine Jiu Jitsu.anyway here is an interesting article. I was a student of James Blundell mentioned in the article and knew Bob Clarke , who passed away this year
http://eugenesbigadventure.blogspot.co. ... jitsu.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:44 pm 

I like this part of the article
Quote:
You can argue how effective it is, but you cannot dispute that grappling is a fact of life that must be dealt with. Ignoring this part of combat can put a person in a bad place if they are not prepared to face it.

In conclusion, I agree that there might be a fleeting moment in a ground fight when a dirty tactic could be useful. But you’d better have a decent understanding of how ground fighting truly works before counting on it.

Does this mean I think everyone should be spending five days a week on the mat doing Brazilian Jiu-jitsu? Not at all. But you do need to spend time learning and working basic fundamental concepts, techniques, and physical movements, and how to recognize the right timing for each.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:49 pm 

I think that it is more likely to be stand up grappling than on the floor, and it is amazing hoiw many people don't know anything about that, suchas how to get out of a headlock when he is pummeling you with his fist, or grabbing your lapels so he can headbutt you