Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun rampage in Ct
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:06 pm 

Van

While I am not a religious person, I believe Eclessiastes 3 explains what it is that this officer felt while listening to the radio and the comments made. There's a time for everything, which also implies there's a time not to entertain certain activities, words, and actions. Acceptance and grief are important processes, and must come to fruition before the mind logically can move on.

- Bill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:19 pm 

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 1800.story

With all this...the mother kept firearms available to the unstable kid?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:11 pm 

Quote:
The NRA envisions a "National School Shield Emergency Response Program" where qualified police, military, security personnel and others organize to protect schools.

Schools remain a target for criminal gunmen because they are not protected by armed security the way other important institutions are, LaPierre said.

Policies banning guns at schools create a place that "insane killers" consider "the safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk," he said.

Former congressman Asa Hutchinson will lead the school security project.

Armed personnel will be part of the security model but not the only component, Hutchinson said.

"School safety is a complex issue with no simple, single solution," he said. "But I believe trained, qualified, armed security is one key component among many that can provide the first line of deterrence as well as the last line of defense."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 pm 

This from JP

Quote:
1927 Bath MI School attack via bomb killed 45 (38 children, 2 teachers, 4 other adults, and the bomber -DIRECT LINK: http://daggy.name/tbsd/tbsd-x.htm

The Bath School disaster is the name given to three bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, on May 18, 1927, which killed 38 elementary school children, two teachers, and four other adults; at least 58 people were injured. The perpetrator first killed his wife, then committed suicide with his last explosion. Most of the victims were children in the second to sixth grades (7–14 years of age[1]) attending the Bath Consolidated School. Their deaths constitute the deadliest mass murder in a school in United States history.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Multiple bombs,VBIED, Murdered terminally ill wife, firebombed his home-farm, one bomb in basement of the school did not explode (had it-the body count may have doubled).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 pm 

Armed security is an option. Like airport security, it works best as a deterrent.

But with the Chicago liberals, they wouldn't want to let a good crisis go to waste. They've been perched on the sidelines for just such an opportunity to take on the NRA.

Obama is basically a coward. [1] He's against gay marriage until it looks like the numbers may go the other way and he'll get votes for an empty statement. He refuses to change gun control policy (knowing he'll get pasted at the voting booth) until something so abhorrent happens that he can surf the emotional wave. No *leader* does this, reacting to history as it unfolds. Leaders have vision and operate out of principle.

Personally as a libertarian, I can't wait for these anti-freedom political nimwits to commit themselves with a Congressional vote. If there's one thing we know about the NRA, they take notes and they have a very long memory. Many politicians I hate because of their fiscal policies will also attempt to ride the wave. And when/if they do, they are toast in the next few elections.

.......... Go ahead!!!

- Bill

[1] Feel free to attack me for not loving Dear Leader. But be careful what you start...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:31 am 

Van Canna wrote:
With all this...the mother kept firearms available to the unstable kid?

I confess that I haven't been following the on-going trickle of information. My working assumption has been that she kept the guns locked up but that her son was clever enough to get to them anyway. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Whatever she did or didn't do, however reasonable-seeming or not, she utterly failed in her responsibility to keep the guns from him. On the one hand it is tempting to say that she shouldn't have owned any guns in her circumstances, but I think this goes too far. Rather, if she wished to own them (which she did), she needed to secure them. Period. No matter what it took. I wouldn't have any problem with it if the politicians were taking up that issue. However, what they would rather do is pursue some kind of legislation aimed at forcing mass murderers to reload more often and to avoid particular caliber ammunition. It's a feel-good, "do anything" response formulated to agree with what they were predisposed to do, anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 am 

Good post Mike. I think some people are of the illusion that all the guns now owned by Americans, should be immediately confiscated and melted, this way there will be no more such atrocities, and crime will depart for another world.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:26 am 
Site Admin

Most Americans view police in schools as the #1 way to go. This after anti-gun activists lambasted the NRA for their 'tone-deaf' proposal, as if the NRA would recommend all guns be confiscated and melted down. Prescient, rather than tone deaf.

Mental health changes are also a priority for the American people. Most of the school shootings, including those at the universities, have been perpetrated by those who were mentally ill. The mother of the latest was trying to get her son institutionalized. There are parents out there who need help with their kids, and they can't get it. That needs to change.

Violence in television and video games came third, but what are the chances of anything changing there? I'm willing to bet zero. And a gun ban? With Republicans in control of the House, I don't even think it'd come to a vote, and if it did, it would be overwhelmingly defeated. Sure, something might pass the Senate (and if it did, I'd be willing to bet we'd see a few fewer Democrat Senators for the next few elections), but without the House, POTUS is stuck with Executive Orders to achieve anything in that vein.

Speaking of banning guns, it's about as popular as arming school officials. If the government of this particular democracy were as responsive as one would hope it would be, both of those would be dead in the water.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:22 pm 

I suppose after we confiscate and melt all the guns, sharp objects are next?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:56 am 

mhosea wrote:
I suppose after we confiscate and melt all the guns, sharp objects are next?

The argument here, as you know, is that with sharp instruments the carnage will be limited.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:35 pm 

Yes, I was speaking to the delusion that you mentioned, of crime disappearing altogether. I think you are right, and I don't think people of this delusion will be satisfied even if firearms are eliminated. They want people around them not to be able to harm them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:34 pm 

Hi Mike_ thanks for the post and very good comments.

What do you think of this book by Anne colter?

http://www.amazon.com/Demonic-How-Liber ... 491&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 pm 

And what is anyone's thinking on this?

NEWTOWN MASSACRE

We know how to stop school shootings

Ann Coulter decries 'self-indulgent grandstanding' by gun-grabbers
Published: 6 hours ago

byAnn CoulterEmail

Quote:
Ann Coulter, well-known for her TV appearances as a political analyst, is an attorney and author. Her latest book is "Demonic."More ↓Less ↑like a madman’s mass murder of defenseless women and children at the Newtown, Conn., elementary school, the nation’s attention is riveted on what could have been done to prevent such a massacre.

Luckily, some years ago, two famed economists, William Landes at the University of Chicago and John Lott at Yale, conducted a massive study of multiple-victim public shootings in the United States between 1977 and 1995 to see how various legal changes affected their frequency and death toll.

Landes and Lott examined many of the very policies being proposed right now in response to the Connecticut massacre: waiting periods and background checks for guns, the death penalty and increased penalties for committing a crime with a gun.

None of these policies had any effect on the frequency of, or carnage from, multiple-victim shootings. (I note that they did not look at reforming our lax mental health laws, presumably because the ACLU is working to keep dangerous nuts on the street in all 50 states.)
Only one public policy has ever been shown to reduce the death rate from such crimes: concealed-carry laws.

The effect of concealed-carry laws in deterring mass public shootings was even greater than the impact of such laws on the murder rate generally.
Someone planning to commit a single murder in a concealed-carry state only has to weigh the odds of one person being armed. But a criminal planning to commit murder in a public place has to worry that anyone in the entire area might have a gun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:39 pm 

Quote:
You will notice that most multiple-victim shootings occur in “gun-free zones” – even within states that have concealed-carry laws: public schools, churches, Sikh temples, post offices, the movie theater where James Holmes committed mass murder, and the Portland, Ore., mall where a nut starting gunning down shoppers a few weeks ago.

Guns were banned in all these places. Mass killers may be crazy, but they’re not stupid.

If the deterrent effect of concealed-carry laws seems surprising to you, that’s because the media hide stories of armed citizens stopping mass shooters. At the Portland shooting, for example, no explanation was given for the amazing fact that the assailant managed to kill only two people in the mall during the busy Christmas season.

It turns out, concealed-carry-holder Nick Meli hadn’t noticed that the mall was a gun-free zone. He pointed his (otherwise legal) gun at the shooter as he paused to reload, and the next shot was the attempted mass murderer killing himself. (Meli aimed, but didn’t shoot, because there were bystanders behind the shooter.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:41 pm 

Quote:
In a nonsense “study” going around the Internet right now, Mother Jones magazine claims to have produced its own study of all public shootings in the last 30 years and concludes: “In not a single case was the killing stopped by a civilian using a gun.”

This will come as a shock to people who know something about the subject.

The magazine reaches its conclusion by simply excluding all cases where an armed civilian stopped the shooter: They looked only at public shootings where four or more people were killed, i.e., the ones where the shooter wasn’t stopped.

If we care about reducing the number of people killed in mass shootings, shouldn’t we pay particular attention to the cases where the aspiring mass murderer was prevented from getting off more than a couple rounds?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next