Takemi Takayasu Uechi-ryu (barbells)

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Victor Smith

Takemi Takayasu Uechi-ryu (barbells)

Post by Victor Smith »

Bill,

Another FYI , Takemi Takayasu Uechi-ryu (barbells)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R5bl7kYrKc
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Bill Glasheen

Re: Takemi Takayasu Uechi-ryu (barbells)

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Thanks for the YouTube link, Victor.

Boy, I'd sure like to get Marcus to weigh in on this.

Personally I find these kinds of sport-motion-like ballistic exercises to be ill-informed to the point of potentially harmful. I'm not alone on this. About 2 and a half decades ago the strength coach at UVa [1] argued strenuously against these kinds of exercises. As he used to say, do your sport-specific motion in your sport. If you want to get strong, then you need to be doing very different kinds of motions.

The guy is ripped. Some exercise is better than none. But this isn't a very good example of weight training.

Bill

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gambl ... ootball%29
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Hey Bill , I left this alone....

I hate criticising folks that do the work , and talented Uechika

But I dont like anything that doesnt have a safety valve for the joints , its one of the reasons I love Uechi which has circles in everything

If you can do it smooth and fast well maybe , but are we seeing that? , but I really see a million better ways that arent going to grind the joints .

Load can change things incredibly .

With adding load I always question the need of a brake , if there is a stopping action in the moment that requires the antagonist muscle then what are you training ? , this safety valve to protect the joint is building muscle memory , its teaching deceleration , if you do it well your going to wear and tear your joints , you get it wrong your going to destroy them , its simply not a balanced healthy action, where some excercises the weight acts as that brake its not as bad , your getting into more conventional lifting .

Bills right in targeting training , specifics are for specifics.

Overall IMHO there are much much better ways to get a more 3d workout if thats your goal ,clubbell swinging,kettlebells , and I would highly promote some sort of lighter gradual elastic band work if your determined to add resistance to specific kinds of movement , getting more dimensions of motion in your excercise should aim to stabilise the joints , and recruit more muscle groups and core work .

My short and sitting on the fence answer :lol: , not for me thanks

But there are folks out there that make almost anything work for them.

Caveat Emptor
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Wisely stated and well stated.

- Bill
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I think that he would be better using kettlebells, they are a fantastic workout, although sadly I can't use them now :(
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

thanks Bill , I think were on the same page when it comes to physical culture , lots of good information out there these days .

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”