Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 445 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:13 pm 

Stryke wrote:
I incorporate weapons. knife , pocket stick and short stick/bat mainly

Good test of movement and congruency

Lairds stuff rocks

Indeed...Laird is great...both he and Rick take this stuff very seriously.

I would also incorporate oc spray.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/248736 ... pper-spray

This is very good because it can be concealed in your hand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:15 pm 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/344219 ... pct-oc-red

And this in yor pocket.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:17 pm 

Quote:
Tunnel Vision -- the mind focuses on the deadly threat to the exclusion of much of one's ordinary peripheral vision. It appears as if one is looking at the threat through a tube (or tunnel, precisely), and it requires conscious effort to see more than a few degrees to the right or left, or up or down.

Always figure on this as you train, very insidious and can get you killed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:24 pm 

The tunnel vision can also affect your assailant, reason to keep conditioning your shins on a daily basis ...so you can 'chop' at the adversary's legs, trying to break, or seriously damage 'something' on impact...as your first sequence of shots. He won't see the low chopping kicks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:44 pm 

Pepper spray is illegal in my country, however I have heard say that Wasp repellant is a lot more effective both for distance and stopping power......one bad thing is it can blind an attacker..ah well :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 pm 

Tue, wasp spray is bad, but you cannot find it in a small concelable container like the 'spitfire' for example_ something than can be concealed in your hand 'extended' towards your opponent in a 'friendly gesture' _

I wonder what's legal in England these days. Nothing like the good ole USA_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 pm 

Well Van I like to read the website of our old friend Don Rearic.....a tremendous resource BTW...and yeah in the UK we are screwed about what we can do, but as Don was quick to point out, that could be what we all face..back in the day we didn't have locking knives or Tacti-Cool folders, we just had pocket knives, small knives with no locks..but heck Don't for one minute believe that they are not a weapon to the tactically minded, even simple stuff...I won't carry a pocket stick.but I will carry a box spanner, made out of aluminium and a lot more effecive in purpose or design.or a small flashlight.................it's all in the mind, if you know your laws and what you can do or not do it kinda fits into place 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:14 am 

I understand all that, Ray...my comments were in regard to:

1. The non useful portability of wasp spray as opposed to the very concealable and stealthy 'spitfire'_

2. The IMO 'repressive' English laws denying the people 'legal' effective carry of personal defense weapons.

All that does nothing to reduce the crime rate, and places the average subject in the position to either carry ineffective items of self protection, or to punish the citizen if he were to carry and use more useful items.

In the US, all states now allow a citizen to carry concealed pistols legally, which translate in a safer populace, even for the 'non carrier'_

This is my favorite, which I can fire from inside a jacket pocket at close range...nothing better...Image A punk will never see it coming.

Don is indeed a great resource and, as you might recall, was a poster on my forum years back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:04 pm 

Here's Don's website...very nice.

http://www.donrearic.com/main.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:58 pm 

In the U.K you will find more people opposed to the possession of firearms than for having them. Sad to say you will probably find more people like Piers Morgan than you could ever imagine. there are lots of historical reasons for this, the main one would be poverty. The lower classes never had enough money to feed themselves let alone buy guns,a lot of their money was spent on Tobacco and alcohol, unless you are rich you can't afford to go hunting, and hunting in England used to be done with a pack of hounds and on horseback, or with a nice pair of shotguns that would cost you £20,000 a pair on a private estate. so firearms are outside most people's pocket. As to the law,I really don't think that it is enforced as strongly as it is in the US, so people get away with a lot more, and also are probably less inclined to report something to the police.
To be honest I would be more scared to live in the US now, but that's down to the past couple of Governments that you have had and the laws they past like the "patriot Act" or Obama's National Defence authorisation Act and his "executive "orders.....you seem to be heading towards a dictatorship, as can be seen in the UK they take your rights away as if they are doing you a favour, and very stealthily.......the left and the right IMHO there is no such thing, the right took away our automatic rifles, and the left took away our handguns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 pm 

Sobering post Ray.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 pm 

Yeah Van. Life is scary..surprised we lasted this long :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:41 pm 

I like this guys stuff, it's penchaj silat but it seems to have a modern flavour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUuTjD2XtbM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 pm 

I like the way he moves.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:12 pm 

Nothing that he does violates the principles of Uechi...much of what he does resembles Rick's approach 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 445 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next