Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alaska and guns
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:34 pm 

Quote:
I find Alaska quite interesting in this regard. As a whole, the people here are quite pro-gun. Their natural reaction is to resist any form of government meddling. But the guns here are different. The state is not overflowing with black rifles. Everyone has a gun, but most of them seem to be Winchester Model 70s, chambered in .300 Win Mag. No license is required to carry, and yet very few people actually choose to do so.

Realistically, you face much more danger walking through the Mountain View area of Anchorage than you do hiking most of the trails. (Not that Mountain View is truly dangerous. It's not Watts. It's just the most dangerous place you can find in Alaska.)

And yet people are quite comfortable (socially) with the idea of slinging a shotgun to walk through the woods. But they still find it paranoid to tuck a pistol in your waistband before venturing into town.

Our laws are so unrestrictive, though, that the sheep who are disturbed still mostly just choose to remain silent. If you open carry in the wrong place, you'll get a few disapproving stares. But you won't get the virulent attacking lesbians that you might face in Phoenix. I don't entirely accept Heinlein's idea of a "polite society," but there is some evidence here of people exercising more manners while in close proximity to firearms.

The closest thing to leftists that we have in Alaska, at least in regard to guns, are the Fudds. We have an uncomfortably large number of people who just "don't understand why you would ever need one of those." And yet I cannot imagine an AWB ever being seriously proposed in our state. It's not that we like guns so much. It's just that we hate the government.

BTW Jason...what's with Mountain View area of Anchorage ?

Post subject: Re: Alaska and guns
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 am 
Site Admin

Van Canna wrote:
BTW Jason...what's with Mountain View area of Anchorage ?

Mountain View is an older, poorer part of the city that is crammed between Anchorage proper and Elmendorf AFB. Along with Muldoon Road, it is generally quiet during the day, but at night bad things can happen. There's a mall with security that will walk you to your car if you work there. There is also a homeless shelter or two. Last year, a drunk guy charged a police officer with a bat. It's not someplace I've found any reason to visit, and after 4pm I'd be carrying.

Quote:
Everyone has a gun, but most of them seem to be Winchester Model 70s, chambered in .300 Win Mag. No license is required to carry, and yet very few people actually choose to do so.

.300 or larger. 30-06 is popular. Almost as popular as 12g shotguns. .45/70 continues to fly off the shelf.

Quote:
If you open carry in the wrong place, you'll get a few disapproving stares. But you won't get the virulent attacking lesbians that you might face in Phoenix. I don't entirely accept Heinlein's idea of a "polite society," but there is some evidence here of people exercising more manners while in close proximity to firearms.

Outside of Anchorage, I've seen open carry just about everywhere in the warmer months.

Quote:
The closest thing to leftists that we have in Alaska, at least in regard to guns, are the Fudds. We have an uncomfortably large number of people who just "don't understand why you would ever need one of those." And yet I cannot imagine an AWB ever being seriously proposed in our state. It's not that we like guns so much. It's just that we hate the government.

It's true. Even our most virulent liberals, the career protestors, the media and political die-hards... everyone simply accepts that in a place where people share the top of the food chain, guns are a part of life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 am 

Is the Weatherby .300 magnum popular there?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Admin

I'll ask some people who would know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Van Canna wrote:
Is the Weatherby .300 magnum popular there?

No, apparently not. .300 Win Mag, however, is. This according to a friend who also happens to make a living selling guns, here in Alaska. Incidentally, .300 Win Mag is also mentioned favorably by the recently deceased Navy SEAL sniper, Chris Kyle, in his book, 'American Sniper.'

Quote:
The state is not overflowing with black rifles. Everyone has a gun, but most of them seem to be Winchester Model 70s, chambered in .300 Win Mag.

The sentiment remains accurate. There are far more hunting rifles and shotguns than ARs and M1s, and I have a suspicion that once all this talk of gun confiscation and banning dies down, ARs will be supremely easy to get ahold of for a time, as people sell them to make a mortgage payment or keep the gas tank full for a year. The economy here doesn't seem as bad as in the lower 48, but living here is generally more costly.