Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 445 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHE ... creen&NR=1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:03 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHE ... creen&NR=1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 am 

great clips Van , makes one consider the real questions

so many people like to pigeon hole aspects of training , TMA has all these concepts however.....

when real violence unfolds it look more like combatives , and combatives is more appropriate than most TMA for real violence simply because of the urgency and directness.

however that is simply in the way TMA is practiced

when you take the concepts of TMA and apply them under real pressure and scenario work you find things looking far more like combatives.

and when you take combatives and refine the mechanics and rehearse the technical aspects and improve the mechanics , well you start resembling TMA .

for long time MA it is the combinations of the reality pressure and gross motor , with the experience and refinement of power generation and movement from the higher path leaning of TMA.

it is simply a continuim from low road to high road , both are reinforced by the other.

Rick made a great observation on the last IUPA blackbelt test , it was simply that when rehearsing and drilling that the knife work looked very much like Fillipino martial arts with the flow and angles etc, however with the high gear and the assault the response resembled combatives.

however the skillset while used differently and with different intent/focus appeared different , it was in fact the same training and skillset and experience that made each exspression possible IMHO

which road and purpose you take tma down be it art or self protection is an individual choice, but the essence is IMHO the same.

I've followed Ricks lead in the way he has developed his website and program , I teach the art, I teach combatives/self protection , and I advocate a train fitness strength and conditioning training .

at some point they all become one to the comprehensive MA , but folks are free to follow there own path and get what they will.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL1zX-SrBH0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 am 

I agree Marcus, good evaluation…but we can't help wondering deep inside…'how well would we really do?"
And Ray talks about the 'red mist' that sets in after you get hit [so many of us are in denial of that truth…like the blocking we do being akin to an impenetrable shield surrounding us…]

We have seen the 'red misting' transforming a 'receiver' of the hit into a useless 'flailing machine' until he folds from fatigue.

And again, think about how many of us practitioners don't work impact training to bring their 'stopping power' to a reasonable chance of success…something that will cause great fear when the opponent we hit says "is that all you got, bitch?"

Just watch the typical class and count the 'air holes' in the dojo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 am 

Good clip Marcus, and very sobering, especially when it makes us realize that even gun shots into a crazed knifer, will not stop him before he finishes you off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:22 am 

The reason why deadly force trainers teach the Mozambique drill: double tap center mass and one shot to the brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QrWm3Acc0

http://jeffcoopersmozambiquedrill.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:49 am 

If we review the thread so far we have covered a lot of ground.

The first line of defence is always Awareness:

Be aware of the areas you should avoid.
Be aware of the people you should avoid.
Be aware of the people you should avoid associating or socializing with.
Be aware of your surroundings.
Be aware of any threats.
Be aware of your capabilities and your limitation -- physical, psychological or moral.

The second lines of defence are de-escalation or disengagement skills.

This is not something we have talk enough about but we have covered how hard it is to truly disengage ego and really walk away from a conflict.

We have talked about how you must detach yourself emotionally to remain “professional.”

We have not talked about specific de-escalation methods or the different forms of violence you may be faced with.

The third is martial training.

I think most (but not all perhaps) agree it is best to have some sort of base to bring your training back into be that something you have designed personally that fits you or a system that you find adaptable to what you want and for many here that is Uechi ( not surprising on a Uechi site).

I think most also agree that going outside the box to explore other training and cover any holes in your base system. I.e. ground and or weapons.

Another side of martial training is mindset how to train it and the approaches some have taken.

Fourth would be our training outside of martial arts and what some have done.

This is an interesting one for me because it is one I have at times addressed very well and others very poorly. About two years ago my life circumstances took a very large change where my wife and I became responsible for a lot of the care for two grand kids. This and some changes at work created a massive shift in stress and energy. The result was that the gains I had made in weight loss and tactical fitness crashed. But life turns and we adjust and I am back on the road to where I want to be. Those in the member’s area of my web site will begin to see a big change once the material I will be now taping gets loaded because I have again dropped weight and I am on target for where I want to end up. My work outside of martial training focuses on Coach Scott Sonnon’s mobility and tactical fitness training as well as some other yoga work.

Fifth I believe is the serious look at violence and what it really is and what it is really made up of. The world today is a fantasy land where citizens feel they can live is a safe environment where there is no crime because they passed a law that makes crime illegal and where the law enforcement officers will be right there to stop any rare crime that might take place. They live in a world that doesn’t exist because they do not want to look at the dark underbelly that makes up a segment of the world.

Those martial artists that want to be responsible for their own protection because they know when it is needed they will be the only ones present want to rip back the cover and see what is really there and what people are truly capable of.

This is not a pleasant study and not a comfortable one for many. Some simply do not want those thoughts rolling around in their heads. Do you really want to know that there are people who believe that children are just another possession they can do what they want to and dispose of like any other trash once they are done? I don’t but I prefer to know it exists and try to protect from it than learn about it the hard way.

Sixth is the legal side to self-protection which I feel is greatly hindered by the fact most citizens do not want to look at the darkness and prefer to make the person who protects themselves an anomaly that needs to be segregated from society. You need to understand that protecting yourself is not only surviving the assault but the criminal and civil law repercussions that will follow.

So far so good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 am 

Geat post Rick, thank you.

Here's more from deadly force trainers:Good Advice from Walt Rauch
Quote:
Walt Rauch was a Special Agent in the US Army Intelligence and the Secret Service and a founder of USPSA and IDPA. He is a firearms instructor and writer and these are his Rauch's Rules for the Real World from his book Practically Speaking: An Illustrated Guide.

1. All predators are always killers. When they attack, your options for self-defense are very limited

2. The predator is smarter than you. Act and react accordingly.

3. Predators will use all the force necessary (and then some) to achieve their goals, without regard to consequences.

4. Predators evaluate their targets before attacking. If you are attacked, the predator has determined he will succeed without a heavy cost to himself.

5. If you are about to become a victim, you have already made serious mistakes.

6. Believe what you see; don’t go into denial. Your attacker wont.

7. In a lethal confrontation, you will only have time to choose one course of action- and your life depends on making the right choice.

8. Predators rarely act alone, although the ones that do are the most dangerous. (If there’s one, look for two, if there are two, look for three; etc)

9. Fear is the predator’s friend… and your enemy.

10. Talk and negotiations rarely work.

11. Predators do not have a conscience. Don’t waste time and effort appealing to any sense of mercy or kindness.

12. Some people cannot be frightened or intimidated. Displaying a weapon may well not solve-and in some cases, may exacerbate- the problem. Be prepared for this.

13. “Bullets don’t work” …Gene Zink, a federal law enforcement trainer. No hand-held firearm fires a guaranteed “one-shot-stop” round. Anticipate needing follow-up shots.

14. “Stay plugged in. Stay in the fight”…Clint Smith, Director, Thunder Ranch.

15. Firearms don’t work all the time and may well not work when you need them the most.

16. Don’t be overly concerned about caliber. No one wants to “leak” or have holes put in them.

17. Carry only the biggest caliber gun you can control.

18. Carry a reload.

19. Carry a 2nd gun.

20. Be able to get to both handguns with either hand.

21. Don’t assume you can prevail in the conflict due to your superior tactics and training. The predator only has to be lucky once. Avoiding him is the best defense.

22. The honest citizen pitted against a predator is an unequal contest. The predator is a professional. Most honest citizens are amateurs.

23. No competition or training, no matter how well learned or practiced, can equal hands-on experience.

24. Predators constantly validate their training with hands-on experience.

25. Getting hands-on experience can be fatal, but survivors learn their lessons well!

26. Expect to get shot!

27. When shot, don’t expect to die.

28. If you are going to die, take him with you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:49 pm 

I think that you have to really challenge yourself and think outside of the box, but even deciding what that box is ,is difficult. Do you remember that shooting in Scandinavia? where the guy dressed as a policeman.many of his victims ran towards him, thinking that he represented safety :cry:
In these challenging times the authorities are not always our friends even when we behave morally and responsibly............as Musashi said "There are many enemies". One thing my Father used to tell me was that people who say nasty things to your face etc, they are not your real enemies.The real enemies pretend that they are your friend, but spread the slander even more. Going back to my first example though, could you kill a terrorist if he was dressed like a policeman?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:06 am 

Rick's post is so right on target, especially when he says that thoughts of self protection make may people uncomfortable.

These very people, get on a pedestal and judge the ones who do address self protection as 'paranoids' as the move through life in condition white.

They set forth the fact that chances of being assaulted/killed/raped/robbed/etc._ are infinitesimal therefore not worthy of any of the stuff we do and talk about.

You will also find many karate practitioners who will say they study karate as an art, because they have no interest in self defense, as people would really believe them.

Think about it...how many of us would really admit a self protection reason for taking up karate?

And why would we not?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 am 

Something that should be understood clearly by any of us who might be involved in a self defense situation after a few drinks,a party, leaving a pub late at night etc._ is the 'workings' of the 'reasonable man doctrine' _

Some people will think that saying 'I had too much to drink' might be a viable defense in some circles. The 'wee dram' defense backfires in our faces.

Here's Massad Ayoob
Quote:
The legal standard is "what would a reasonable and prudent person have done, in the exact same situation, knowing what the defendant knew?" The cornerstone of the defense will be to show that your actions were reasonable and prudent; opposing counsel will argue that someone under the influence cannot BE reasonable and prudent.

Now you are really screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:57 am 

Suarez forum
Quote:
I've noticed lately that the BG's tactics are changing with the times..If I'm the BG I am going to assume (because 38-40 states have "shall issue" laws) that whoever it is that I choose to assault for whatever reason that they ARE armed. I will have a plan, a place and a time to do whatever evil I choose to do with minimal risk but I will attempt my evil, thinking that whoever is my target is going to be armed.

I wont go it alone, there will be backup and it will be fast, intrusive, forceful and meant to disorientate, confuse, and cause fear. The BG's aren't stupid they will adapt, it is survival. Overwhelming force is the objective to obtain what it is I want..You will see more and more of this as they realize that people are arming themselves.

2 BG's coming at you and your family with Glock 19's, then what?? and you with a 6 shooter..If I'm the BG,you just lost the fight, BG's dont operate in singles anymore, it's pairs and 3's usually for backup..Sorry to say that society has degenerated to such a point that going anywhere alone without another armed companion is taking a risk, but it has.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:06 am 

One thing to keep in mind is that there is no such thing as 'being interviewed' by an assailant...

Being 'sized up' is what will happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:12 am 

Quote:
Many years ago (I'm embarrassed to admit exactly HOW many! ) I found myself walking on a dark street where I encountered a number of... uh.... undesirable sorts. It was, ironically, the very first time I'd ever carried a handgun on my person, and this was more by happenstance than intent (my car had broken down in a bad neighborhood as I'd been coming home from a late-night college astronomy lab, and I had chosen to walk home; I simply hadn't wanted to leave my handgun in an unattended vehicle).

The individuals I encountered made it very clear - through movement and the display of improvised weapons - that I was to be badly injured or even killed. After a frozen moment of panic in which my brain crashed to a halt at the realization that I had become the target of a mugging, I suddenly remembered that I had a handgun with me, and I drew it out into a (forgive me for I did not know what I was doing) a low ready position.

The sight of their would-be victim drawing a .41 Magnum revolver was too much for my would-be playmates and they scattered....but not before the obvious leader - armed with a pretty nasty looking butterfly knife - bawled: "That's not FAIR!!!" before he himself took to his heels.
Suarez Intnl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 445 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next