Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:55 pm 

"Prepping is always an activity worthy of much thought. I'm of the mind that what we prep is based on that which we prepare for. Gold could be a valued item with the collapse of currency. If we are looking at a total global collapse of society and logistical supply structure , precious metals would be of little value."

I note that you said currencey. currencey is not money, as you probably already know. "Fiat Currencey" is currencey backed by nothing but trust, and since America left the gold standard and went into the "petro dollar" the world has followed and adopted Fiat Currencey. America is the world's greatest debtor nation of all time she owes $17 trillion and has $100 trillion in unfunded liabilites i.e pensions and social security....so is that sustainable? who knows?
but China,India and Russia have become the biggest purchasers of Gold.Germany has asked for the US to repatriate her gold from Fort Knox, and there are moves in Switzerland for her Gold to be repatriated as well, Venezuela has already done this....all the central banks are purchasing gold and yet printing more and more Fiat currencey...certainly makes a man think.
And lets not forget dear old Cyprus, where they can just steal your money.......and moves are afloat in New Zealand, Italy and Spain to pass legislation through their respective parliaments to allow the same moves.............gold has no counterparty risk, if it's in your hand then they have to take it from your hand :evil: .but it is expensive. Silver however is very undervalues and Cheap $30 an ounce as opposed to $1600 and ounce.

However salt, sugar and curing agents for meats and spices might become more valuable than gold in a land with no supply chain and no energy source to run the infrastructure created to safely store food supplies. Harvesting meat with no means to save it for future meals becomes an activity that sometimes burns more calories that it provides."

Yeah food,shelter a place to go..if there was a currencey collapse. there will be a lot of people not getting social security, or pensions.lot of angry disaffected people. I prep now..I've got my compound bow, knives, food.I'd like a boat coz I am on an island.and they are good for fishing or escaping 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15 pm 

As to the defensive component tooling...the reality is that even in countries that 'prohibit' firearms ownership_ when the chaos hits the rotating fan_guns will materialize out of nowhere as if by magic.

People without guns and and over-abundance of ammo for them, will easily fall prey to the firearm being wielded by the opposition.

Additionally, guns and ammo_ in any survival venue_carry the greatest barter value.

Same in self defense...all the techniques or the knives or whatever, will be no match against a gun fired in your belly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:21 pm 

Don't want a gun, want one of these 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nVSfv0Rlg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm 

I'd rather keep my .300 Weatherby magnum_

ImageImage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HbUvZ9Rq6s

http://www.ovguide.com/300-weatherby-ma ... 0005c1b829

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 pm 

Van Canna wrote:

They sure are pretty too! Van I blew it there was a chap on the hunting forums selling a German made one that had no idea what it was worth. It got snapped up pretty quick I'm sure it went for nothing, I should have offered 500 and I'd would be in my gun vault now!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:27 pm 

A big part of prepping is training. If your planning on using a firearm in a confrontation you best be training frequently and in high stress scenarios if you want to prevail when things go bad. If your not sending rounds down range frequently, shooting from disadvantaged positions or instinctively clearing malfunctions your not ready to defend your when the fan blades are covering you with crap!

How about your hand to hand CQC is it all trained in the dojo? Or do you engage in stair wells , elevators and automobiles? Remember, when you are victimized you don't get to pick the battle field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9AVk4Dd ... ubs_digest

Doesn't matter what we put aside for emergencies if we have not prepared tactically or physically we may not have a long presence on this earth when the civilization crumbles. We have to be equipped but also ready, are you prepared or just stocked?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:54 pm 

Gun battles are not the movies and they are not bench shooting. Can you engage the target while running? Can you shoot from both hands or both shoulders, you may have to because of the cover available. Can you reload or clear a jam with one hand, people do become wounded, if you stop returning fire your dead, have you really trained to fight with that gun? Can you keep it running when injured.

Have you shot the platform with no hearing protection? Have you experienced the muzzle flash at night, have you tried the optics or sights at night. Do you have night vision are your optics night vision compatible? Go you have body armour? Do all shooters have a communication device. Have you trained at night, does your gun oil function at minus 40? Can you deploy your weapons system from within your vehicle? These are questions that must be addressed in your planning.

Have you trained for the fight or did you just buy some guns?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 am 

jorvik wrote:
I learnt an interesting fact. If you don't wash an egg when it comes out the hen, then it is covered by a thin film or coating which will allow it to stay fresh for up to a year,that's what I've been told anyway.so I'm looking to keep hens

I'd be very careful about that, if I were you. Chicken eggs do keep for a while, but I'd double-check that stay-fresh coating fact before staking my life on it.

I don't see how chickens would have much survival value. They need food and water. Then again, I think most survival strategies that revolve around holding out with just your own family are pretty unrealistic. If you're in any half-way populated place you'll need to join a gang.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:43 am 

Valkenar wrote:
jorvik wrote:
I learnt an interesting fact. If you don't wash an egg when it comes out the hen, then it is covered by a thin film or coating which will allow it to stay fresh for up to a year,that's what I've been told anyway.so I'm looking to keep hens

I'd be very careful about that, if I were you. Chicken eggs do keep for a while, but I'd double-check that stay-fresh coating fact before staking my life on it.

I don't see how chickens would have much survival value. They need food and water. Then again, I think most survival strategies that revolve around holding out with just your own family are pretty unrealistic. If you're in any half-way populated place you'll need to join a gang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

Eggs also keep well pickled but you might end up sleeping alone :mrgreen:

Actually free range chickens are easy to raise if you can keep the predators out of the picture.

Me joining a gang is unrealistic, heading for the bush and eating trespassers is more likely, don't like urban areas much, strangers even less. But with the right spice and proper curing I might change my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:03 am 

Feur wrote:
Van Canna wrote:

They sure are pretty too! Van I blew it there was a chap on the hunting forums selling a German made one that had no idea what it was worth. It got snapped up pretty quick I'm sure it went for nothing, I should have offered 500 and I'd would be in my gun vault now!

Mine is a German made, and it is a gorgeous piece with an original Weatherby scope factory installed, no longer made. The BMW of rifles.

One of those things you never sell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:17 am 

Feur wrote:
Actually free range chickens are easy to raise if you can keep the predators out of the picture.

Me joining a gang is unrealistic, heading for the bush and eating trespassers is more likely, don't like urban areas much, strangers even less. But with the right spice and proper curing I might change my mind.

I was assuming we were talking about an area that is fairly populated, otherwise who are you defending against? Bears are dangerous and all, but they're not looking to pick you off from a distance. I actually have planned for a while to raise chickens, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:29 am 

Valkenar wrote:
I was assuming we were talking about an area that is fairly populated, otherwise who are you defending against? Bears are dangerous and all, but they're not looking to pick you off from a distance. I actually have planned for a while to raise chickens, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
probably would have to shoot the city slickers when the started prowling for food. Other wise bear, cougars and wolves. Shoot them at long distance as they compete for your food supply. For your food supply. Predatory scavenging species do very well during natural disasters and war time the feed on the dead. But in time of trouble your biggest threat will be your fellow man. Rural and back wood areas can expect parties of urban folks out to harvest domestic and wild animals when the food system collapses.

Justin you won't regret raising your own birds, time we all took charge of our own food supply. Frankly I'm afraid of the mass produced crap that is sold today.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:46 am 

if it ever fell over the number one resource is going to be space

the more space you have the higher your chance of survival

too many people in your neighbourhood , time to move , on , without the system food wont be the same , forget corn fed anything , well fall back to harvesting animals not because we dump energy and nutrients at them , but becuase they forage more efficiently than us and we get that energy and protien easier than trying to evolve into herbivores .....

farming resulted from social numbers/effieciency and not enough space to hunt , modern farming resulted from not enough room to graze , being able to farm and cultivate your own will be the only way , I dont see big citys becoming communal farms .....

some will be able to hunt ..... but when everyone turns to the depleted wild resources , has pillaged the farms ......

youd be better of hoping it is a zombie apocolypse just so your not competing for resources.........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Feur wrote:
Gun battles are not the movies and they are not bench shooting. Can you engage the target while running? Can you shoot from both hands or both shoulders, you may have to because of the cover available. Can you reload or clear a jam with one hand, people do become wounded, if you stop returning fire your dead, have you really trained to fight with that gun? Can you keep it running when injured.

Have you shot the platform with no hearing protection? Have you experienced the muzzle flash at night, have you tried the optics or sights at night. Do you have night vision are your optics night vision compatible? Go you have body armour? Do all shooters have a communication device. Have you trained at night, does your gun oil function at minus 40? Can you deploy your weapons system from within your vehicle? These are questions that must be addressed in your planning.

Have you trained for the fight or did you just buy some guns?

Okay, I gotta ask. Where would a civilian go to do all that? Practicing from a vehicle? Running while firing? Most ranges have a crapload of rules that forbid such daring activities.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm 

Try Suarez Intnl...they are very good at what they do, and they travel.

http://www.warriortalk.com/forum.php?s= ... ea1b07cfdd

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next