Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 pm 

"farming resulted from social numbers/effieciency and not enough space to hunt , modern farming resulted from not enough room to graze , being able to farm and cultivate your own will be the only way , I dont see big citys becoming communal farms ....."

It all depends upon where you live. I couldn't hunt, but it's surprising what you can grow on a small plot of land using a politunnel and other methods, and stuff like root vegetables can be kept overwinter, fruits can be made into jams and preserves. I'm waiting on a plot of land right now to start doing just this.really though if it was up to me I would be right out of the city.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:44 pm 

Funny how different circles can overlap in unexpected ways. I'm coming at it from an animal welfare/environmental perspective.

There definitely is a lot you can grow in the city, even without any land, as such. You can do a lot with pots. There's also a good book called Square Foot Gardening (which now has a website http://www.squarefootgardening.com/) which has an interesting approach where you literally grow vegetables in one foot squares, which lends itself well to city gardening.

Useless for any kind of survivalism though, since people will just take your vegetables.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 pm 

Good stuff Justin, I agree

On a side the best prep for any emergency is your health, and the biggest component is what you eat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:29 pm 

Yeah there is a positive side to all this as well :D .....I've been interested in Permaculture for years and now also Aquaponics. The idea is to create a sustainable edible landscape. funnily enough when I see some of master Gushi's videos with the bamboo and the water it reminds me of this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 pm 

here is the negative side 8O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1OwhezMGos

i subscribe to this guy and I think he knows what he's on about :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:19 pm 

Jason Rees wrote:
Feur wrote:
Okay, I gotta ask. Where would a civilian go to do all that? Practicing from a vehicle? Running while firing? Most ranges have a crapload of rules that forbid such daring activities.
Helps to have some previous military training. The issues you raise are an on going problem, lots of ranges don't want any tactical training.

Started with ipsc and idpa (was shooting out of trucks on my first qualifier) moved into 3 gun/ multigun. Then started dabbling with some training courses. Lots of folks teaching the mag pull stuff these days.

Don't discount dryland type training just working the moves with snap caps in the living room. Fast is smooth and smooth comes from handling reps.

Shooting buddy and I have reached the point we've decided it's more cost effective to teach than pay to train, so we are looking for certification and a home base to operate out of.

Jason your lucky up north, lots of open places to train. In canada a hand gun or an AR are restricted weapon and can only be discharged at an approved range. Kind of takes farms out of the equation unless they are super huge and the neighbors shoot too.

I'm an RSO on my home range, If I'm there or my buddy and I are there and no one else I leave the gate locked and run dynamic shooting drills. If another RSO shows up the range is now open and we go shoot clays or steel in the pistol bay, just like everyone else. I get private use of the range frequently.

Laird

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:45 am 

[quote="Valkenar"vegetables in one foot squares, which lends itself well to city gardening.

Useless for any kind of survivalism though, since people will just take your vegetables.[/quote]Grow them on your roof and shoot uninvited house guests and you'll have all the veggies you planted!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:49 am 

[quote="jorvik"]Quote
"farming resulted from social numbers/efficiency and not enough space to hunt , modern farming resulted from not enough room to graze , being able to farm and cultivate your own will be the only way , I don't see big city's becoming communal farms ....."I counted 74 deer yesterday driving through farm country. (40 k's of grass land.) Saw 200 elk there the week before and now and then moose. Wildlife and farms go together in this part of the world. But I agree, land will not be communal in a survival situation...nothing will be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:23 am 

Feur wrote:
Grow them on your roof and shoot uninvited house guests and you'll have all the veggies you planted!

That might work a few times, but eventually you'll get shot trying to pick your vegetables.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 am 
Site Admin

Feur wrote:
Helps to have some previous military training. The issues you raise are an on going problem, lots of ranges don't want any tactical training.

Oh, it definitely helps to have military training. I still remember plenty from my Army days, but that was all carbines and heavy weapons. A lot of it can still apply with pistols, I suppose.

Quote:
Started with ipsc and idpa (was shooting out of trucks on my first qualifier) moved into 3 gun/ multigun. Then started dabbling with some training courses. Lots of folks teaching the mag pull stuff these days.

Checking out the local IPSC, they have two outdoor events and two indoor scheduled this summer, and I'll miss all of them due to work or deployment. Good times. I am looking at buying some Magpul stuff.

Quote:
I'm an RSO on my home range, If I'm there or my buddy and I are there and no one else I leave the gate locked and run dynamic shooting drills. If another RSO shows up the range is now open and we go shoot clays or steel in the pistol bay, just like everyone else. I get private use of the range frequently.

Ha! The only time I've had the range to myself, my targets blew away. :lol: I'm an RSO on the Ft Richardson recreational range, but every active duty member who uses it has to be trained as one. It's small and usually so crowded you have to wait a half hour for a single lane.

On public days at the range I use, we sometimes have to share (by share, I mean they take over use of all lanes for brief periods of time) with local LE. I watch, and try to learn something, but they're usually just there for quals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:26 pm 

It all depends very much upon where you live and the knowledge that the people around you have. I don't think people now know what real food is, they seem to think it is made at mcdonalds. Very few people know about growing things like potatoes even, so some would just walk right past them. I think the most effective ways to grow your own food is to use permaculture methods or aquaponic were you can grow your own fish as well.
I live very close to the Mersey river, so that is a pretty good place to get food, I often talk with the fishermen who fish from the banks, one of them caught a13lb cod. I'm thinking about getting a sea kayak.........................to get out, but also for pleasure. i would love to do it in Scottish waters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp40fD8c ... ature=plcp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm 

Valkenar wrote:
Feur wrote:
Grow them on your roof and shoot uninvited house guests and you'll have all the veggies you planted!

That might work a few times, but eventually you'll get shot trying to pick your vegetables.
note to self avoid living in the city they will kill you for a carrot! not 2 If you must live in the city pick the tallest building for farming. :roll: :roll: :roll: ....You'll not get me living in urban areas when the fan spins I become a bush bunny. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:54 am 
Site Admin

I think if crap really hit the fan, and society fell apart, survival will depend on having the largest group with the most weaponry and the ability to effectively employ it. How such a group organizes itself and survives as an organization is more interesting to me than anything else, even though my medical and military skills would pigeonhole me for certain roles that would really have no impact on that aspect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm 

What would you choose as the best survival knife to keep in your bug out bag [BOB]...not on your person?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm 

For a knife on your person.... - get a knife that has a seat belt cutter and a glass punch. You will find that if you ever need to deploy a knife for self defense... it's a huge plus to have a reason why you were carrying it in the first place.

A seat belt cutter and glass punch can turn you from a thug looking for trouble into a concerned citizen who wants to be prepared if you come on the scene of a traffic accident.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next