Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 am 

MarkNoble wrote:
The best paying jobs in my field of industrial hygiene are actually out in places like Fort McMurray, which are unfortunately, not very appealing to those raised in the urban milieu.

This is for you Mark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edAxujKev1I

And please call me Laird ( it's my name :D )

FEUR is an acronym for the art I teach. It's a private joke. I was showing a few variations of a move to a student each one increasing the level of violence. On the last variation I said if you really want to fuk them up do this.....The student said every thing you teach fuks people up.

I said well that's why we are here to learn "Fuk Em up Ryu." If anyone thought this was dance class you should leave now! This isn't zen class or the cultural exchange society we are here to learn to hurt people!

The next day one of my students presented me with this logo on a T shirt.

Image The nick name kind of stuck. My name wouldn't work when I was registering for the forum so I used the nickname for the training group.

Last edited by Feur on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 am 

Valkenar wrote:
In college, I picked up Uechi-ryu mainly because I like formalized systems of movement.
I like movement Too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fivmeh6snHM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:59 am 

I'll respond on the firearm stuff tomorrow need some sleep before I go save the world in the AM.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:48 am 

Well I grew up in the UK where guns are basically illegal, as a child I played with toy guns, shot all my friends :lol: .graduated to reading cowboy books and detective novels, I even made model second world war planes and painted them. Now, in my old neighbourhood there are lots of shootings done by youngsters who have been taught politically correctness to Nth degree, and have never been allowed to play with toy guns or do war games.why do you think that is? 8O
As to the ownership of firearms, I look at the people who tell me I can't have them, they are basically politicians.and who are they? I don't elect them to Rule over me like some God king!!. they are really flawed human beings who do drugs,have affairs are obese and sometimes even worse.why should they have the right to dictate to anyone?.............look at Obama and Hilary laughing and gloating about the murder of Bin Laden, and yet they don't want people to be armed ?
Politics is show business for ugly people.........why should they govern every aspect of our lives?...here is something that I read somewhere. Instead of Government substitute the words " A ginger headed man".......so you have "A Ginger headed man wants to increase your taxes so you can pay money to keep his children"......or " A ginger headed man doesn't want you to own a gun or in anyway protect yourself"..............kinda makes you think of government in a different way doesn't it :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:17 pm 

Feur wrote:
Van Canna wrote:
Any ideas of what that might be?
There may be three fights Van

1) for your freedom
2) the fight to preserve your assets
3) the fight with your values . (Even if the response was justified we are raised to believe the response is evil so we get looped into this moral rethink of the event over and over)

Right on target , my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:22 pm 

Stryke
Quote:
Hey mate that's the just for fun part most are talking about when they do martial arts, the two primary drives that derives from the self interest/survival instinct...... to do things with others or against others, martial arts caters too them both nicely, some may not admit they like the fighting or dominance games, but its all part of the human psyche

Well, I can understand that people are different in so many ways, and that a few would take a 'combative' martial art for reasons other than self defense, such as Justin, the exception and not the rule by any means. Fine.

But one thing now becomes somewhat puzzling.

Justin, you wrote
Quote:
Karate, for me, is about a few things, but the self-defense aspect was always a small side-benefit. It's entertaining to think about, but especially having read more about Self Defense Realities, it's not something I would even include in a list of reasons I do it at this point.

I understand that, Justin…. But, given your 'disinterest' for the self defense component of a combative martial art, such as Uechi-Ryu, and self defense realities ….if I understand correctly.

Then what is your reason for following and getting involved in discussions on a self defense reality forum?

Are you here for constructive reasons, for serving a useful purpose_ or for some other reason?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:29 pm 

Stryke wrote:
its a crime problem period , its just lazy thinking to blame the gun , if the guns werent there and or could be removed. youd have a valid point of view , but your only targeting law abiding citizens if you make weapons illegal.

I would be happy to continue this discussion with you, but this seems to be as touchy an issue as abortion so I suggest we continue in private messaging or perhaps in the 'Tough Issues' forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:33 pm 

Here is a good article related to the bombing at the marathon...

http://iscqc.org/blog/3673/how-to-survi ... icked-mob/

Quote:
I’ve been asked several times since the Boston Marathon Bombing about how to manage risk in a large crowd environment.

One answer is simple:

Unless you are absolutely required to be in attendance, AVOID large crowded environments.

Of course when there are times when you have limited choice and must venture into that environment, then use good habits of “situational awareness” and adopt a “bias towards action.”

Large groups of people will always attract a certain amount of risk.

Never underestimate the volatility of people in large groups.

Any significant event, even a “perceived” event, can result in a stampede.

People are injured and die every year during Black Friday Sales events when they become victims of a frenzied mob.

A fire, an explosion, an active shooter can all create a mob mentality that takes on a life of its own.

The KEY to surviving any event in a crowded venue will depend almost entirely on your ability to control personal panic, to assess the situation, and to take immediate action. If you panic, you drastically increase your odds of injury or death.

Here are a few strategies that will decrease your risk…

How To Be Safe In A Crowd

◦Maintain your awareness. Keep your eyes up, off the smart phone, and scan your environment. This is can be challenging due to the large volume of people. But try actively scanning. Look for “out of baseline” behaviors. People moving upstream, against the flow, for example, are out of baseline. People moving faster or slower than the baseline, or whose gestures or furtiveness do not match the event.

I have a friend that works in a department store in theft prevention. In a glance, he can spot someone about to shoplift. Their behaviors are out of baseline. A shoplifter will always stand right next to the shelf before he pockets the item, whereas a normal shopper stands back to be able to see the contents of the shelves. Out of baseline.

◦Identify specific threats or threatening behavior. Look for menacing behavior or people who by their looks cause you to feel uncomfortable. Trust your gut. There may be a valid reason why they make you feel uncomfortable. If you are in proximity, move away.

As always, look for “orphans:” bags or packages without owners. Alert security if you see them, but do not stand next to them waiting for security to arrive.

◦Identify exits. Whenever I enter a room, or area, one of the first things I do is scan for exits. Are there emergency exits? Are they alarmed? Are they locked? What about windows? Can they be opened? Is there a heavy object like a chair I can throw through the window?

◦Look for exits on the opposite side of the room from the entrance or at right angles to the entrance. Most people will bypass emergency exits in close proximity to them to go back to the entrance they came in through. This behavior has led to many deaths in ballroom and concert fires. People who are panicking seek the familiar.

◦Identify cover. Cover refers to safety from fire. A brick wall may stop bullets, but sheetrock walls will not. Solid furniture may seem solid, but even a two inch thick oak table will not stop a 9mm round. You must find something substantial if shooting starts. The engine block and front axle of a car for example may provide enough cover for one person. The car door, not so much. Inside a building, there is generally not much cover. Better to head for the exit.

◦When an event occurs, grab your family members and head for the exit. Pick up and carry children. Have your family members, (spouse, others with you) grab a hold of your belt. Move assertively towards the PRE-SELECTED exit.

Move with the crowd “downstream” but also in a diagonal direction, until can reach a wall inside, or if outside, the edge of the crowd, where you can better control your movement.

Do not be afraid to damage or destroy the fixtures or the building itself to get out, such as breaking open windows or kicking open doors, or breaking locks Timidity will not be helpful. Your primary concern must be your family.

Once they are safe, you can decide whether or not to render aid to others.

◦Carry essential gear. Essential gear for an outside event: Water bottle. First aid kit that includes a tourniquet. Knife. Multi-tool. Sun glasses that also provide eye protection. Indoor essential gear, add a small pocket flashlight which will penetrate smoke and haze, ( a cell phone light will not penetrate smoke and haze.)

It is impossible to anticipate every event.

However, most events will precipitate the need to MOVE. MOVEMENT to SAFETY will generally always be your highest priority.

If the event is localized to your immediate vicinity, then safety generally lies elsewhere.

The most important trait here is a BIAS TOWARDS ACTION. Take action to improve your crowd situation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:50 pm 

Feur wrote:

Thanks Laird, I might be able to use that in a future training session.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:55 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
Here is a good article related to the bombing at the marathon...

http://iscqc.org/blog/3673/how-to-survi ... icked-mob/

It's good advice. I can see Secret Service types methodically assessing a crowd/gathering in this way but the average person isn't trained to size up the environment in the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
Well, I can understand that people are different in so many ways, and that a few would take a 'combative' martial art for reasons other than self defense, such as Justin, the exception and not the rule by any means. Fine.

I would wager that most people studying something called a martial art have a balance of "for the fun of it" and "for self-defense" I don't think it's an either-or kind of thing. I'd also bet that fewer more people are interested in martial arts as sport than as self defense. But that's all conjecture.

Quote:
Then what is your reason for following and getting involved in discussions on a self defense reality forum?

I enjoy thinking about hypothetical scenarios, and I enjoy discussion of various kinds. Self defense realities are interesting to think about. There's also a lot of stuff posted here that isn't just about self-defense. I also like posting helpful links on occasion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 pm 

Quote:
I would wager that most people studying something called a martial art have a balance of "for the fun of it" and "for self-defense" I don't think it's an either-or kind of thing. I'd also bet that fewer more people are interested in martial arts as sport than as self defense. But that's all conjecture.

I agree totally, there are many benefits to the study of martial arts including the socializing and having fun process that is different for every one of us. I would not have continued to practice it otherwise.
Quote:
I enjoy thinking about hypothetical scenarios, and I enjoy discussion of various kinds. Self defense realities are interesting to think about. There's also a lot of stuff posted here that isn't just about self-defense. I also like posting helpful links on occasion.

Good enough Justin. Glad to have you aboard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 pm 

Yeah lots of reasons for doing martial arts, and all valid

But the reason the sport and games are fun is we enjoy the idea of playing at violence

we like the idea of being good at it and in control of it

Its in our nature to strive.

While it may be buried it its often the real factor imho

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:51 pm 

Read about the criminal mind.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/ ... different/

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:56 am 

The 'Smack-down' :mrgreen:

http://www.therightscoop.com/must-watch ... i-bombers/