Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:27 pm 

I have posted before the concept of “sen no sen”...which tells us that the best time to attack is when the opponent has the intention of attacking but has not done so yet. Taken literally this is about the instant between intention and action.

But we must have a sense that something is about to happen,which in many cases it is not clear cut depending upon the situation and our being distracted.

And in many cases an attack will come unexpectedly in the nature of a sucker punch from people that have set you up or do it reflexively if your 'discussion' between the two of you, sours for some reason.

Or_You may say something innocuous that may trigger a sucker punch out of nowhere.

You may be at a party, standing up and socializing, while holding in the flat of your left hand a paper plate full of food eating with your right...when someone who doesn't like you for some reason, comes up to you smiling, then slaps from the bottom _the plate of food into your face_ with his left palm, and then clocks you one with his right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 am 

Yes, and that sen no sen is the desirable skill to develop. The guru in Jorvik's video refers to this at 8:25 ...."after years of training you get what we call awareness".

Surprise attacks are the worst. It's tough enough to deal with an attack when you see it coming, getting sucker-punched or worse having a hidden weapon such as a knife drawn on you can be a nightmare to deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 61jnJe_1SI

Josann posted a video a couple of weeks ago in which Carl Cestari says something like "the person who is able to hit first and keep hitting usually wins the fight".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:06 am 

Hammer or the nail! Lotus be damned...whoops...no offense to any lotus, I respect everyone's choice! We are all free to chose a path. Fight or flee...what is important is, that we spot the threat and respond in a manner we can live with, or die with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:25 am 

Quote:
Josann posted a video a couple of weeks ago in which Carl Cestari says something like "the person who is able to hit first and keep hitting usually wins the fight".

Make note of the word 'usually'_

This is where many of us fall down to the 'assumption' slippery slope.

It has to do with who you are, who the opponent is _[take for example the burly guy in the clip]_

...and how really effective [stopping] what you will hit him first with _is.

And a big burly opponent will also be 'feel no pain' adrenalized.

What are you going to hit him with_first and repeatedly _that will really make him stop doing what he wants to do to you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:01 pm 

Very good point Sensei, if you're going to hit a person like that, you need to be fairly confident that you can drop him quickly.

I was once attacked by someone roughly his size (but a bit shorter) who had previously worked as a bouncer. His push landed me on my back and once on top he was impossible to get off. He had bipolar disorder and he would get into manic states similar to "Roid Rage" in which he'd see blood and feel no pain.

On another incident, the 5 police officers tried to take him down with the result being that he grabbed one of the officer's tasers and actually started using it against the other cops. Unfortunately, his mental health status gave him some protection from prosecution.

Speaking of fight-ending blows, are you familiar with this one called oyayubi-ippon-ken or haiken (thumb fist)? It works similar to the hammer fist directed at your opponent's temple except that the striking surface is the first joint of the thumb rather than the thumb end of the seiken fist. I'm wondering if you think it is safe to use or if there's a good chance that the thumb itself would break on contact with the head?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:40 pm 

Just an observation if you are attacked like the guy does in the video he is attacking in a linear manner, if you use that technique you are defending in a circular manner. The closest distance between two points is a line...therefore you lose :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 pm 

True, jabs and WC punches are linear whereas this is circular. I see it as being like a hook in boxing. At the appropriate range it's a more powerful strike than a linear jab or a cross.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 pm 

Hi Mark,

The thumb fist is OK but I personally find that the configuration of the hand and thumb in that position exposes the thumb to, sprain, dislocation, whereas the boshiken of Uechi cradles the thumb in a more secure way and allows for the pointed weapon to be delivered more naturally to the temple in a slapping arc.

However the boshiken needs to be trained assiduously and conditioned…we like to strike 'Bob's temples with it.

Many beginning students have difficulty even retracting the thumb down against the palm of the hand, where it should be as you strike. The tendons need stretching and reinforcing.

It is also good to keep in mind that the Boshiken, as well as the shoken [pointed weapons] are best delivered to soft tissue targets.

As to the having to face a big burly opponent, yes, confidence is a big factor, and that comes from two things:

1. The knowledge that even if you are smaller and weaker than the opponent, you know you pack the 'wallop' in your techniques that allows you to hurt the opponent, without hurting yourself in the process, i.e., your 'weapon' fracturing upon impact with the body parts of the opponent.

2. That you have developed a 'competition edge' in your training, where you will have fought such opponents in the ring…and used to such 'face offs'

But more important…the having internalized the 'challenge' mentality that comes from competition.

It is like Tony Blauer predicating that when suddenly finding yourself under attack, against an opponent you cannot avoid, instead of feeling fear, feel challenged.

~~

What you see in the video is of course scary, but for the sake of training some defensive moves …here we see ... the assailant placing his left elbow across your chest, then plunge the knife into your belly 'Folsom prison' style, over and over, as it will be in a street attack.

I don't want to remain 'square' to the incoming blade…no matter what linear strikes I could hit him with…I want to get off line, as the lethal force trainers teach.

In our dojo we train against a similar attack by taking off at a 10/11 o'clock angle with our right leg, 'plunging' off line behind the guy's left elbow, with our left arm then coming up in sanchin as we spin behind him, to shove him forward, then strike him from behind at the brain stem while folding one of his legs down to the ground with a stomping kick.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:49 am 

Quote:
As it has been said time and time again "all bullets, fist, knife and blunt instrument strikes are sent to your last know address" and "if you plant your feet they will be planting your body 3 days later!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11