Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 am 

Right on Laird.

As a competition rower and soccer player, the coaches had us perform a number of choreographed activities in order to increase the awareness and
resourcefulness within the specific sets of movements that in the 'heat of competition' went a long way to hold us together in vacillating moments.

Surely you will remember the fixed bayonet 'katas' we had to practice when we served in the Infantry.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 am 

Endless repetitions of the same movements ensured that we would also shoot correctly as well. :) I seem to recall repetitions of even how to stand or walk, everything was drilled until it became the natural response.

Interesting I went shooting with a group of vets this weekend two had not shot in over a decade. They handled their carbines like they had never put them down, they shot tight groups! Tens of thousands of rounds down range year after year, their kata was a joy to behold. So were their schit eating grins. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:09 pm 

"don't hold him in great regard either mate. If memory serves correct, I think I ran him off of another forum because he behaved like the 2nd coming of Christ. No one complained when I did it. "

Yeah Laird I remembered the name, must have been Rick's old forum.....I got the same impression. like he'd stepped down to my level so he could show how schitt I was :lol: :lol:

As to your last post, I agree repetition is the secret to anything, you can't help but go deeper into your chosen subject, I do loads of basic stuff,even when I'm not training with folks.I've got to the point now where I think I just need to play on my own.

Mark
I don't like the ~"internal" folks.so don't misyunderstand my posts I'm not a tree hugger chi faery.but there is sime good stuff there.mixed in with the bull

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:09 pm 

double post

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:44 am 

jorvik wrote:
"don't hold him in great regard either mate. If memory serves correct, I think I ran him off of another forum because he behaved like the 2nd coming of Christ. No one complained when I did it. "

Yeah Laird I remembered the name, must have been Rick's old forum.....I got the same impression. like he'd stepped down to my level so he could show how schitt I was :lol: :lol:

Mark
I don't like the ~"internal" folks.so don't misyunderstand my posts I'm not a tree hugger chi faery.but there is sime good stuff there.mixed in with the bull

Well, I wasn't witness to what happened on this other forum, but his articles are well-written and he has a background in physics which he uses to explain the mechanics of striking. He actually does a really good job of explaining how internal arts work (better than anything else that I have read on the subject). I exchanged a couple of emails with him regarding internal arts and he didn't come across as condescending in my experience. He was actually one of the first to recommend the Uechi style to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 pm 

Well it wasn't a big flame war or anything as I remember , I don't hate the guy, but you have to remember we have all been involved in martial arts for a very long time, myself for 40 + years so it's not unusual for us to challenge somebody, or to discuss or to even argue. Now I have my own opinion of "Internal arts", but my main opinion is about the people who teach them.most of them are arseholes who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.not all, but most ...and the folks who are really good at them aren't a heckuvalot different from the people who do "hard" "External" arts.
what you do have is a lot of wannabees, guys who move slowly, never break a sweat, talk bullscitt about how tough they are, denegrate the tough guys, but never challenge them...........and when they put their stuff to the test usually get owned very quickly, like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhhWcRGRtOI

now I have nothing against the internal arts in fact I've mostly done them. Interestingly though, the guy above got mistaken for this guy ( who apparantly can walk his talk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hjhUUhHwmk

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:37 pm 

I have seen that video of the 'kiai master' before. This isn't the same guy is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIXZ4e8x9V0

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 pm 

No I don't believe that it is ,and if he was a fake, Chris Cridalli who makes the show would say that he was ,as he has done on other programmes

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:52 am 

The lethal force trainers denote the moving off line or off the x, as the 7th concept...according to this description
Quote:
The Take Off Concept

Your take off will be situationally dependent on time, distance, position in the reactionary curve, urgency inside of the balance "to hit and to not be hit," allowable telegraphing, desired direction, traction/footing, necessary acceleration, strategy, priority between the targeted X or the positional X, physical abilities, physical limitations, agility, coordination, athleticism, natural ability, and instincts.

Remember the X is the one that is on your body.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:03 am 

Quote:
The more your drive foot is on your center of gravity, the more explosive you can be, while mitigating the risks of slippage.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:06 am 

Quote:
If we combine the beauty of the flinch, the speed potential of the drive foot off of the centerline, and the power/explosivness potential, and sure footedness of the drive foot on the centerline you may just have the very best take off available.