Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The rudness amongst us.
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm 

http://tinyurl.com/prxw48x

Quote:
Parents are changing baby diapers in booths. Besotted pet owners are trying to sneak in small dogs. Smartphone addicts are ordering meals while chatting on their phones.

The spoiled are threatening to rant on Yelp if (unreasonable) demands aren’t met. They’re sending back dishes because a pal’s entree looks better, and storming out if they’re not seated immediately. Boors are calling servers “Yo,” boasting about their wine cellars, demanding to switch tables. Locavores are interrogating servers about sourcing. The particular are using the menu as a list of ingredients, or claiming food allergies they don’t have. And the inconsiderate are skipping out on reservations.

~~

And: “No groping, . . . mauling, sucking face, canoodling or heavy petting.”

There is no manners index tracking diner behavior, but Patrick Maguire, an industry veteran who’s writing a book called “Server Not Servant,” says a survey he conducted of more than 200 current and former service industry workers found that almost one out of five customers is impolite, disrespectful, or downright rude.

“Some [patrons] are not happy unless they’re miserable, or making someone else miserable,”

“Are you familiar with a ‘love sheep?’ ’’ Doyle asks, recalling a group of guys who installed a crude, inflatable sheep as a centerpiece at a high-end Boston restaurant, to the dismay of co-diners. “There are rude people in all aspects of life,” he says, “but in a restaurant you can be stuck next to them for hours.”

Marblehead-based etiquette consultant Jodi R.R. Smith says the problem may not be that customers are getting ruder, but rather that we’ve become increasingly intolerant of others’ behavior. “Everything we watch on TV is about judging others,” she says, mentioning, “The Bachelor,” “So You Think You Can Dance,” and “The Voice.” “That’s what we do for entertainment — judge others. When we turn off the TV we continue doing that.”

Are you a besotted, 'Yo' _ canoodling locavore or heavy petting 'sucking face' who compares the size of your portion dish with other diners at restaurants ? :agrue:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

I know someone who has never failed to complain to the manager about something, no matter where we went to eat out with her. Invariably, she'd end up getting her meal for free. It's embarrassing. If they weren't family, I'd never eat at a restaurant with them.

The only time I can remember asking to speak with a manager, I invited him to sit down with me while I explained how I overheard some of his employees talking smack about another customer. I didn't tell him what I expected him to do about it. I simply gave him the facts. We shook hands, I assured him I did not want a free dessert or discount or any other such thing, and I tipped the waitress well as reassurance that my complaint had nothing to do with her.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:52 pm 

Pretty smart way of handling it, Jason.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 am 

I spent about 2 decades in the food industry, managing restaurants (65 at once at one point) and working as a chef, owned a restaurant and bar as well. Been down that street and witnessed the poor behavior on both sides of that experience .

Today, I'm in customer service once again. Hauling people from the airport to paradise! People have not improved in the past 20 years! How bad is it? Next month I plan to haul dirt instead of people, it's more rewarding! And the dirt doesn't say Me! Me! Me! Oil sands here I come! Hell I missed operating equipment! When equipment doesn't work right you just lubricate it! That's frond upon in some industries! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 pm 

Feur wrote:
Oil sands here I come! Hell I missed operating equipment! When equipment doesn't work right you just lubricate it!

Where are you looking? I had an interview with Shell @ Fort Sask a couple of days ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:31 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
canoodling locavore

Maybe? I don't go over every dish or ingredient, but if there's something with pork that sounds particularly good I'll ask where it comes from, since I don't want pork that comes from Smithfield farms. While I don't care that much about the source of every ingredient, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask. Of course there are rude ways to ask and polite ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:07 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
Pretty smart way of handling it, Jason.

Very smart and.with class . My observations tell me that a lot of the rudness is from a false sense of entitlement amplified by a feeling of insecurity. I deal with rude individuals on a daily bases and count my blessings that I am not them or related to them in any way. Ps never insult someone who handles your food lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 pm 

Good post my friend. What work are you in that makes you deal with rude people daily?

The problem with rudeness, in person, in driving, etc., is the underlying 'emotional high-jacking' that in some of us flares with a vengeance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:37 pm 

Service advisor in automotive repair. After I retired from manufacturing I decided to try my hand with the public. Car repairs especially during times of a slow economy create interesting moments when people who in the past had vehicles under warranty must deal with cost they once associated to the have not crowd. Often they want to speak to a manager when someone they feel is below them presents a bill or estimate. A "peasant" presenting them with a New reality. More posturing than the ring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:04 am 

I don't envy your job, Leo. The automobile business is one the worst in the world.