Uechi in Vancouver

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Chris McKaskell

Uechi in Vancouver

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Hi Bill,

Just wanted to note that I managed to meet up with Mike Vena and his crew and enjoyed a couple of awesome classes with them in North Vancouver. I posted a note in the 'locate a dojo' forum, but wanted to mention it here as well.

A couple of Mike's students, John and Jason, I remember working with a couple of times during earlier visits when I attended classes led by Rob Kolenc and Kai Heinonen in Coquitlan (just outside of Vancouver).

Like many here, whenever I travel, I try to reach out and find Uechika in the areas I visit. The community and this website make it possible and consequently I've enjoyed classes all over Canada and have managed to be exposed to a variety of different, sometimes disparate interpretations and ways of teaching. It's been enlightening and fun, and I know it makes me and my students better martial artists.

One of the things I really like about Uechi is the community - lot's of different interpretations, but all sharing a common core and common goals: know the fundamentals and make it work for your purposes.

I've posted this on Van's forum as well...I really just wanted to put this out there and thank everyone for their efforts in making the Uechi community what it is.
Chris
Bill Glasheen

Re: Uechi in Vancouver

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hey, Chris!

Glad to hear you're getting around. Sounds like fun.

I agree that you can learn a lot seeing what different groups are getting into. There is the core material, which pretty much what everyone does to be able to hang the "Uechi style" shingle on the front door. And then there are all the myriad things people do out there to put flesh on the skeleton. That's where we find the good stuff.

If you run across Jimmy Malone in that neck of the woods, tell him I said hi.

It's great giving some exposure to the Great White Northwest. Canada Uechi has been very strong in spots. We love hearing what they're doing.

- Bill
Chris McKaskell

Re: Uechi in Vancouver

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Agreed!

A few places up here really standout in particular -- Vancouver and area, obviously...then Alberta has a huge wealth of folks each focusing on entirely different things!

Laird if a force to be reckoned in Banff - I must get there someday; I love visiting Rick Wilson in Edmonton, and Ken Read has a very strong group working in a super-cool neighbourhood there as well; I have yet to connect with Neil Dunigan, but every time I'm out that way I stop by...he has a great looking dojo.

You've got David Mott, very central in Toronto, and Michael Hamm teaches regularly in Oakville not too far from there.

Nova Scotia has many generations of Jim Malone's students so what's not to love about the East coast!

And, of course, if any of you find your way here, to London, Ontario - you are welcome to visit my humble little group. Bruce used to visit us years ago when he was problem solving computer systems.

I can't think of anyone from any other style with an extended family like this!
Chris

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”