Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: De-Fense
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:34 am 

Quote:
I have begun to get away from the idea of ‘defensive’ fighting or the use of ‘defensive’ weapons because we don’t defend ourselves with firearms, we counter-attack someone who is attacking us. Furthermore, thinking about “defense-defensive-defending” all the time can get you conditioned not to counter-attack as soon and as intently as you need to in order to prevail in a fight. Defense alone does not win fights and does not preserve life. Counter-attacking does. Begin, therefore, to think less of defending and more of counter-attacking if you want to increase your chances of winning.

And
Quote:
This reinforces my thinking about the danger and insidiousness of the “defensive meme” that has been a staple part of gun-world-thinking for a very long time. It’s not that it’s flat wrong to think in these terms. There was and still is good reason to use the terms “defensive, defend, defending”. My concern is that it is so pervasive, so common, so often repeated, that it has conditioned entirely too many people to think and believe that they have to wait longer than they have to before they begin to actually fight back.

I believe, in fact, that the hesitation this long-espoused concept has hammered into some has been enough to get them killed. I think that too many people, even some who are serious about training and studying and preparing to protect themselves and loved ones, have been conditioned to wait until it is absolutely, positively, unquestionably clear that they can legally start a counterattack. Or they are still so uncomfortable with the thought of hurting or killing another, even an attacker, that they grasp the ‘defending/defensive’ idea as a salve to their souls and try and wait until they see that there is absolutely no choice but to fight back.

Post subject: Re: De-Fense
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:36 am 

Quote:
And because nothing is ever absolute, or certain, or positive or unquestioned where criminal assault and combat is concerned, they hesitate too long and they die.

I occasionally wonder how many are dead already because they ‘defended themselves’ for too long.

Let me make this clear: I’m not saying you shoot first all the time, every time. I’m not saying you haul off and slug the guy at the slightest suspicion they’re up to something. Take what I’m saying here that way, you’re being stupid and will go to jail. Clear enough?

What I am saying is that even in this day and age, you can often start your part of the fight sooner than most people think. You can legally pre-empt an attack more often than most people, especially those burdened by the defensive meme, believe.

You still have to wait in many, probably most, cases, for some sort of initiation, yes. That does not mean you have to wait for the shot to be fired, for the first slash of the knife to come in, for the fist to graze your forehead as you flinch back.

Neither is there a requirement, legal, moral, or tactical, for you to let the attacker keep the initiative any part of any instant longer than you have to

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:38 am 

Quote:
So start now with the deprogramming and the re-programming. Consider the stop-hit, the cut-off, the quick counter-strike. Start thinking now, when you think scenarios, about where and how you can legally and tactically pre-empt. (And don’t forget the need to properly articulate your need and reason for the pre-emption.) Clear some of the defensive thinking out of your mind and replace it with the concepts of the counterattack. It will do you good and maybe help you stay alive.

What’s not to like about that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:43 am 

:D