Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Uechi in Vancouver
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:43 pm 

Hi Van,

Just wanted to note that I managed to meet up with Mike Vena and his crew and enjoyed a couple of awesome classes with them in North Vancouver. I posted a note in the 'locate a dojo' forum, but wanted to mention it here as well.

A couple of Mike's students, John and Jason, I remember working with a couple of times during earlier visits when I attended classes led by Rob Kolenc and Kai Heinonen in Coquitlan (just outside of Vancouver).

Like many here, whenever I travel, I try to reach out and find Uechika in the areas I visit. The community and this website make it possible and consequently I've enjoyed classes all over Canada and have managed to be exposed to a variety of different, sometimes disparate interpretations and ways of teaching. It's been enlightening and fun, and I know it makes me and my students better martial artists.

One of the things I really like about Uechi is the community - lot's of different interpretations, but all sharing a common core and common goals: know the fundamentals and make it work for your purposes.

I'll post this over in Bill's forum as well...I really just wanted to put this out there and thank everyone for their efforts in making the Uechi community what it is.

Post subject: Re: Uechi in Vancouver
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:45 pm 

Glad you are happy, Chris. Best way to sum this up is 'We are family' :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:22 pm 

Hey urban dude, you could always visit the mountains of Alberta and work on your gun-jiujitsu. :wink:

I'd enjoy your company! We could work on retention and disarm skills at the same time...we might get bloody! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm 

Hey Laird!

That would be SWEET!

I will never forget you taking us out to that range in Edmonton -- my first time shooting!

Laid brought a selection of three handguns, a very cool Savage 22 bolt action with a kicking scope and an AR-14 (??) it was an eye-opening experience and not one ever to be forgotten!

The focus was on safety and respect for the firearm first, then rules of the range, then what to do during a malfunction, finally targeting and actually shooting. Laird was a thorough and patient instructor.

it was a crucial moment for me for many reasons -- in particular: we've always dabbled in disarms, but without the knowledge of what a gun actually did. VERY LOUD and SCARY!!

It was awesome!!

I love the idea of visiting -- I'll start working on the family today!! You love in a stunningly beautiful area of the country...shouldn't be too hard to convince them. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:56 pm 

This is cool, I wasn't aware of there being an Uechi group in Vancouver. I will be in Edmonton in a few weeks and hope to join up with one of the groups over there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 pm 

Mark:

Sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:13 pm 

Spent an incredible three days in edmonton training with Rick, incredible martial artist but even more impressive his teaching ability to fit the student.

And just leaving banff after a great few days with Laird, with some great range time and conversation. and catching up while enjoying paradise.

some incredible talent, with open sharing guys, my Uechi family

Sometimes you need to seek things out, you can learn so much, if you cant learn from these two you probably cant learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:54 pm 

Some serious sumo training last night mate! Your visit was too short, I'm missing you two already. Enjoy the rest of the trip!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:45 am 

Yeah mate was difficult to leave, we had a great time , been far to long and time was too short

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:51 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-hP58Gkzo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:14 pm 

It's over two years since my eldest went to live in Pennsylvania :cry: ..I miss him..before he left we dined in Chester ( in a fine Itaiian Restaurant)..this guy was there.......playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO6kYLb6As

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:28 pm 

Just wonderful, and the music goes well with Chester's architecture...love those buildings and those streets.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:17 am 

Just a note to say that it was a pleasure meeting and training with Chris McKaskell earlier this month ! Look forward to your next trip out to Vancouver and the west coast !