Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SHUSHIWA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:43 pm 

Quote:
"What does Panganinun, the name of the focus of your dojo, mean in Chinese?"
"That style of boxing means 'extraordinarily fast'. Lately I've been thinking about naming it Uechi-Ryu instead of Panganinun. But now I've stolen enough of your time. Goodbye, take care!"

It's interesting that Uechi already in the early 1930s thought about naming his way of teaching "Uechi-Ryu".

Officially, this name only appeared in 1940 for the first time. In the original of the interview above, the Name "Panganinun" is not written in Kanji, so it's not 100% clear what the real meaning of the word is meant to be. It could be one of the following:

??? Pan-Ying Kuei (law of the half hard things)
??? Pan Ying-Jên (half hard, half flexible)
??? Pan Ying-Juan (fals hard, half soft)

"Half hard" is a way of categorizing Chinese fighting styles. Besides the category "half hard method", there is a distinction between "hard method" and "soft method". Therefore, Uechi's style of Chinese Boxing would not name a certain school but a certain system.

By Henning Wittwer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:59 pm 

Thanks Sensei Van, excellent article!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:45 pm 

Greetings and my respects to all the budo friends in this forum..I will be brief, in fact the person did a mistake with the pic. The papers thet came with the lithographs he received that state the name, dates and other information were mixed by the owner of them which I know personally. Also, what you said about that probably his knowledge in uechi ryu was little is also true. But when he spoke to the first person about that pic and he understood something was wrong, he started to find out what was the mistake. He also start learning a little more about Uechi ryu so in the future he does not make the same mistake with anything related to that style or any other. Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:53 pm 

Thank you for the post. You are entirely welcome to post here at any time.

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:51 pm 

Van,
i seem to remember Bob Cambell saying that the term pwangainoon is a Hakka term that does not mean half hard half soft. i cant remember the exact translation but i think it was someting to the extent of get in close to your opponent quickly and hit'em hard.

from wiki;
Hakka are Han Chinese who speak Hakka Chinese and have links to the provincial areas of Guangdong, Jiangxi, Guangxi, Sichuan, Hunan and Fujian in China.
The Chinese characters for Hakka (客家) literally means "guest families" The Hakka's ancestors were often said to have arrived from what is today's central China centuries ago and north China thousand years ago. In a series of migrations, the Hakkas moved, settled in their present locations in southern China, and then often migrated overseas to various countries throughout the world. The worldwide population of Hakkas is about 80 million, though the number of Hakka-language speakers is fewer. Hakka people have had a significant influence on the course of Chinese and world history: in particular, they have been a source of many revolutionary, government, and military leaders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 pm 

Hi Steve,

You are probably right. Bob has a wide knowledge of these things, especially living in China and speaking the language as he does.