Wing Chun that doesn't look bad.

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

Re: Wing Chun that doesn't look bad.

Post by fivedragons »

Time has been doing its trick, but I try to stay functional. I've been doing strength and conditioning workouts that include squats, lunges, jump-rope, burpees, hill climbs, squat jumps and knee highs. I do a series of low stances that are held while doing dynamic tension exercises with the upper body, and I do a walk/run of 3 miles that includes quarter-mile runs and 100yd. sprints. If nothing else, it feels good to be healthy and mobile.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:D
I don't think anything compares to soccer as far as leg conditioning. And there is much to be learned on the field.
Well written and it evokes great memories of my field battles, as a striker, against the full backs determined to take you out.

The legs get conditioned by the constant 'banging' and slider tackles, as well as by the fast twitching of the muscles and the loading and whipping deliveries while in precarious balance.

It is in soccer that you first learn of the 'dead leg' causation to you or your opponent, which is a severe contusion of the muscles of the leg from an impact injury which causes muscular damage as it is crushed against the underlying bone.

Add to that the kind of leg conditioning the daily 'stick tapping' and kitae, and we begin to understand how vulnerable the legs of even big strong adversaries are, with no such training/conditioning.

All gross motor moves that do not fail, unless you are not conditioned for the banging.

Your training program is excellent five D. :)
Van
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I like a lot of Wing Chun but like everything you've got to pick and choose , sometimes you just learn what not to do.

This guys a lot on point and his take on timing and distance is pretty much what I advocate , but like anything there's a lot of buts and ifs and when

there's a really big difference between what you cant do and what YOU cant do

there is soft in real fights you can be hard and soft in fact in places he's doing it , there is a place for the ranges he's dismissing , is it the go too and the easiest and the optimum ...another discussion , but you better have a place out and through all ranges and timings... yup a continuum

sometimes you get crashed on , and then you better have something more than beating the attack , and crashing harder is not going to cut it.

but so easy to pull apart , heck I could dismantle myself and my take , in fact that's how I learn.....

Lots in intent , and what this guys really is talking about is the same thing that affects karate , the turn the co-operative timing , the practicing to be a victim the drill range.

gross motor and power cant argue with that , fitness and conditioning cant argue with that .

Indignation mind-set and timing and a real proactive get involved be your own bodyguard approach , what else can you do if your outgunned?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I think one of the problems with Wing chun is assumption. When people have been exposed to a little Wing chun they think that they know what Wing chun is. I remember a discussion about "chain punching" somebody said it didn't work , Now there are different approaches to wing Chun and a lot of them do not Chain punch at all, in fact there is even a saying " In Wing Chun, we are not hungry to punch" but most people assume that chain punching is a basic of wing chun. similarly there are different methods of Sticking hands. I remember a Wing Chun "Grandmaster" telling a class that there used to be a horizontal way of rolling as a opposed to the circular ball like movements that you see a lot of, but Ip Man dropped it.............Well, there are still folks who practice it.
I agree with Marcus about softness, you can be soft against hard aggression, there are ways of shutting down boxers which are relatively none violent but they are rather difficult to explain
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"You might want to read Grossman's book On Killing. He talks about animals in the animal kingdom having no problem killing their dinner, but having a psychological block against applying that aggression to each other. Your description of your ferrets pretty much brings this out. And it also informs us on why it's so difficult during *and* after the fact for one human to kill another - with some exceptions."

That's not entirely true Bill, I've seen a few documentaries where that has not been the case, with bears and with chimps randomly killing their own species, and with chimps cannibalising them as well.....however there is an important point made here. The same retisence to use violence can occur when faced with an authority figure, such as your father.or going further a Policeman or a prison guard ( that coupled with the backup their position gives them) ..So my point is, if a Leo tries to teach self defence his perception of himself is reflected back on him from the mirror of his intereaction with others often gives him a false impression of just how good he is.....folks will back down against a blue uniform, but not against the same little fat guy in civvy clothes with no indication of authority................I have seen this happen :wink:
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Ray posted
The same retisence to use violence can occur when faced with an authority figure, such as your father.or going further a Policeman or a prison guard ( that coupled with the backup their position gives them)
This is an excellent point.
Van
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

So my point is, if a Leo tries to teach self defence his perception of himself is reflected back on him from the mirror of his intereaction with others often gives him a false impression of just how good he is.....folks will back down against a blue uniform, but not against the same little fat guy in civvy clothes with no indication of authority.
Often the same thing happens in martial arts schools across the ranks.
I was dreaming of the past...
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I think one of the problems with Wing chun is assumption. When people have been exposed to a little Wing chun they think that they know what Wing chun is.
I think this is true for a certain type of person no matter what the style, 'reality training' or physical activity that goes to strength and fitness...or special 'knowledge'…and these people can't wait to 'show you' what real fighting is about. _

We have had these discussions for years on end. It is the human condition.

There are a lot of tightly-wound, sizzle-chested bench pressers out there that for some reason or another can't wait for a chance to show the world how tough they are simply because they can bench press their body weight.

Likewise, many a 'Mr. Assumption' from any training method, will let their 'method' lead them into 'dead end' situations …the famous 'but for' rule. After all, what good is to train in some discipline all your life, if you cannot prove to yourself or others how really 'tough' you are…right?

You can see this sometimes in people with a concealed carry weapon being led into an avoidable situation that they will need their gun to get out of alive.

Facts don't matter to these fools, just the emotional reactions they feel when they follow their puppet-masters.

I'm always kind of amazed at how many people have their "manhood" tied up in being willing to fight people for stupid reasons, instead of shrugging off most perceived 'insults' _

Maybe it is the 'little pecker' syndrome.

And getting beaten, even if not badly, will carry psychological scars for a lifetime, especially for a trained martial artist.
Van
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Good post Van

Confidence in this stuff is just the other side of Ignorance

I like Hickson Gracies take on Fear , he said basically that fear and intelligence are closely related , and that he's afraid of everything that can happen and that its a tool.

Confidence that eliminates fear is foolish.

Confidence in your developed attributes/skills and tactics are another thing, but they should not replace the fear of the unknown and the dumb luck that can befall anyone in a violent situation.
Last edited by Stryke on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVYTrbckIs

Push up and hit the angles , Uechi 101
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ray posted
Quote:

The same retisence to use violence can occur when faced with an authority figure, such as your father.or going further a Policeman or a prison guard ( that coupled with the backup their position gives them)

This is an excellent point.

thanks Van :)

"Often the same thing happens in martial arts schools across the ranks."

Yes it does, and it goes a lot further than that even
You may remember
Anders Behring Breivik . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik

The Norwegian bomber. What he did was set off a number of bombs and then when people were panicking and running around got out of his truck and walked towards them, however he was dressed in a police uniform.people believing that he represented safety ran towards him, and he mowed them down with an assault rifle...now they saw him as a figure of authority :cry: ....we can see this in lots of things, and it does occur in the dojo.sometimes people believe their own hype and we get stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

now this guy obviously believed in what he did, he believed that he had the power when in actual fact all that had happened was that his students had made him an Authority figure
Hokie_PhD

Post by Hokie_PhD »

Stryke wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVYTrbckIs

Push up and hit the angles , Uechi 101
Thanks I enjoyed watching this, thinking about it and seeing how "Uechi 101" relates to it!
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Thanks I enjoyed watching this, thinking about it and seeing how "Uechi 101" relates to it!
Your welcome , I should of said Uechi 101 how I see it , Lots of DNA form the southern chinese short fist styles , forward pressure and close quarter combat styles

But I really enjoy the Chinese aspect and close quarter combative roots , lots of ways to express it.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

It's really not that he's saying it about Wing Chun, but that he's saying it about his art. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNeNyAD99qw
I was dreaming of the past...
Hokie_PhD

Post by Hokie_PhD »

But is what he trying to say so bad?

What I hear him saying is that everyone needs to make their Wing Chun (and by extension martial art) their own. To me that doesn't sound bad. Now, I'm not sure about the video as I know nothing about him, or the Wing Chun community and how they're received it.

It seems to me he's really saying things I've seen here for years and that's we adapt our art to us. So is this right, or am I missing something?

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”