Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: UFC footwork
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm 

Got this from Mike M. _ my formidable Petronelli trained boxer I have often talked about on these pages.

Quote:
-----Original Message-----

To: Van Canna

Subject: UFC 162 Judo Chop: The Insanely Underrated Takedown Defense of Anderson Silva - Bloody Elbow

Van here is a great link discussing how important angles are in fighting for offense and defense, this is exactly why I appreciate your insight and continued emphasis on ingraining this focus on over the last six months. See you Tuesday night!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/6/27/44 ... -henderson

Post subject: Re: UFC footwork
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:13 pm 

Quote:
Use of Angles

Striking and grappling share certain commonalities, and one of them is that a fighter can use angles on the feet to both create offense and make defense more effective. Just as a boxer creates an angle off a punch,a grappler can angle off of a takedown attempt.

In some cases this can result in a fighter outright missing their takedown attempt. One case comes in Silva's match with Demian Maia. On this takedown everything goes wrong for Maia, his first step is poor and while he is moving from 12-to-6, Silva is moving 2-to-8 and the result is a clean miss on Maia's part. (Gif)

While not picture perfect it shows how cutting an angle can be used to avoid a takedown all together. But later in the fight Silva uses an angle to smash another Maia takedown attempt.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:20 pm 

This from Bill in another thread
Quote:
You want to deliver force to the other, and it isn't always possible to risk taking a hit to go straight in. Sometimes you can get away with it, and it's beautiful when you do. Uechi Seisan has lots of such up-the-middle attacks. But sometimes - yes - you need to apply that footwork to get around the force of a much larger opponent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:40 am 

8)

Good thread , Important skillset

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:16 am 

Yes Marcus more important than some people realize.

"standing rooted in sanchin" is many times misunderstood.

Think of the opponent's size and momentum propelled by bad intent.

The Seisan knee strike against a charging/shooting opponent followed by shokens, is one good example of ending up like dog meat against a powerhouse attacker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:08 am 

Being grounded in movement is the key

Sanchin to me is about finding your centre

while pivoting and shifting you maintain the centre and do not lean or tip your posture to either side , this way you maintain structure and Sanchin in movement

Once you have it and develop the slide , the step and the pivot you have all the tools for any kind of footwork and positioning , these are the building blocks.

you have all these blocks in Sanchin

I understand how easy it is to confuse testing someones ground path to thinking you must be anchored to the ground , however this structural alignment really needs to be maintained in motion and is just a micromoment of movement isolated to test a principle IMHO.

Constant natural movement and the speed to match/beat/merge the relationship/closing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:05 am 

I like the way they move in Fillipino boxing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-9Ab-S2Fko

It's good to stretch out your arms, using a partner or wall as a referance point then you can see how your steps can change your range. I've noticed as well that when you spar against two people using aikido footwork works really well, better than almost anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:36 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQdlLZ7ubk0

Masterfull footwork by Machida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGhVPYJ5ivQ

Some food for thought , double thrusts and footwork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:01 pm 

Stryke wrote:

I tend to teach the Seisan bunkai defense against a 'shoot' as in the above clip, getting the student to become more aware of the dip of the shoulders that flags a takedown and to instinctively react by the rotation foot work we see.

Then I recommend the left palm 'guiding' behind the neck and the knee strike to the face, as the downed opponent tries to get up from the ground going for your legs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:30 pm 

Stryke wrote:

Good clip, Marcus...it should teach us in seisan bunkai not to practice defending against the 'idiot tackle' we see in demos.

And also not to rely on the assumption we are going to stop the momentum or the person trying a take down by hitting him in the head with a knee strike.

We are still in contact range. Best way is to rotate out of the way, and maybe use the knee strike on his attempted way up if we allow him to counter after we flatten him.

Question always is: so he is down...now how are you going to make sure he remains down...what technique is next??