history of Islam

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

jorvik

history of Islam

Post by jorvik »

I found this clip, and I thought it might interest people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Re: history of Islam

Post by Jason Rees »

Why am I always skeptically about videos posted on Youtube claiming to tell of a 1,000+ yrs old secret?
That was a rhetorical question, btw.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

It's difficult to comment when this doesn't load. I have to wonder why.

What I was able to get in bits and pieces was interesting. Sources would be nice...

Bill
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ok I'll post the link again ,I didn't post it too well last time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y

Basically it is the tale of the development of Islam, it shows the wars that they have fought etc. It sounds like historical fact, which it may well be. I believe that a lot of it is correct.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The main theme I get from the lecture is that Islam was spread by the sword. There were 800 some-odd battle fought during the time it was spread.

We have reason to fear any religion or political school of thought that is imposed on us by force. Jefferson was quite adamant about that when passing his Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom. That was a response to the existing paradigm in England where The State sponsored the Anglican church and taxed its citizens to support it. That's noxious enough.

Listening to this guy makes me feel like I'm listening to politically incorrect thought. He in fact presents himself as such. But if what he says is true, it's quite damning of Islam. And we shouldn't be characterized as intolerant for bashing what is clearly itself intolerant.

- Bill
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"Listening to this guy makes me feel like I'm listening to politically incorrect thought. He in fact presents himself as such. But if what he says is true, it's quite damning of Islam. And we shouldn't be characterized as intolerant for bashing what is clearly itself intolerant."

Yeah I hate political correctness, people who spout it are using it for themselves and not because they believe it. You can't have Islam and homosexuality in the same culture.Islam doesn't like Homosexuality so the idea of a " multi cultural" society is a none starter.
Feur

Post by Feur »

Bill Glasheen wrote:We have reason to fear any religion or political school of thought that is imposed on us by force. Jefferson was quite adamant about that when passing his Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom. That was a response to the existing paradigm in England where The State sponsored the Anglican church and taxed its citizens to support it. That's noxious enough.

- Bill
Spanish inquisition?

Crusades?

I believe most religions and political positions are kept in play by the use of force.

I fear those who believe they should decide anything on my behalf without my expressed permission.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I found it interesting because i have always wondered how Byzantium became Turkey.....and also the collapse of the Roman Empire and carthage.there is a lot more to the story than that and it just doesn't involve Islam although they do play a major part.the last crusade was against the Cathars who were a christian sect, and this later led onto the Spanish inquisition.............I don't really hold with any of these religions, but if they leave me alone then I'm fine with it, the Islamics don't seem to want to do that, just look at the problems poor President assad has with Al Qaeda 8O
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

The Spanish Inquisition started when Phillip began the policy of Spain as a Catholic nation. Jews were allowed to convert. Of course, some questioned the authenticity of these conversions. Thus, the Spanish Inquisition was born to verify the authenticity of Jews' Christianity.

The Papacy had its own that started sometime around the Rennaissance, if I recall correctly.

Neither had anything to do with Islam.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Well I don't know. I do know that the crusades started against Islam and ended with the Christian Cathars , who were classed as "heretics" the idea of the ~"true faith" seemed to flair from there. the cathars BTW gave the catholics the confessionional.....they called it the Consolomentum, but the catholics were always fighting other christian sects, starting with the Bogomils in Bulgaria so on a time frame you can link them all together if you so desire

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”