Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:54 pm 

Stryke
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWQrkFErRuc
anyone see any Uechi in the positions?anyone see any Uechi in the positions?

I kind of like this guy. I recognized his voice before recognizing him. Hadn't seen him for a while. He is getting a little gray like the rest of us. Just don't understand why he changes his name so much. Jim Grover, Crucible, now Kelly McCann. Actually quite a few of his techniques do look similar to some Uechi moves, but then, quite a lot of styles do have movements that look similar in many ways.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:59 pm 

I always liked this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1R5XMSXsCQ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:26 pm 

Rick
Quote:

I like it too. watched it many times because it always seem to bring back old memories when I used to hang around in Boston's Combat Zone.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:48 pm 

I have been constantly finding Uechi in other combative systems. I use to discover new fighting techniques in training in the clinch etc.etc. and then months later I'd stumble across a video clip of some guy selling my secrete technique of doom. Turns out their are only so many ways to skin a cat and it's all been done before. But it's always good to discover your getting it right.

I've gone off and got very involved in Tactical shooting etc. I've trained different weapons platforms, I've worked at many ranges ground fighting clinch fighting throwing striking etc. I'm not the best fighter in the world but I'm very capable of harming folks. Winning fights is not the challenge.

Training for physical conflict has been part of my life for many decades. This is probably always going to be part of me. However it's not the big challenge. The challenge in life is the human interaction the verbal skill. How to engage people and prevail without beating the snot out of them.

Time for a look inward. Geoff Thompson has a great take on what I'm trying to say in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHEgMf0Wr-Q

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:19 pm 

This might be a duplicated submittal. I thought I submitted this last night but it wasn't here this morning. Umm, I must have punched the wrong button or, as usual, said some inappropriate stuff. I am softening my words and resubmitting, hope it will go through this time.

Laird
Quote:
Henry has generated a very active thread here. It's encouraging to see a Uechi senior question the validity ----- etc. -- I'm surprised to see him back pedal and attempt to close Pandora's box? ---- etc.-- You do the Uechi world a great service by posting clips of variations of Bunkai as it gets many thinking about their kata and how it might be used. Everyone needs to ponder if their techniques would stand up in a real violent confrontation

Thank you for your kind words, Laird. Yes I back pedaled. I do have the tendency of saying inappropriate stuff sometimes, or saying them inappropriately. I tent to forget that I am an old timer Uechi practitioner and a Hanshi, there are things I should say differently if I were to say them at all.

As to the YouTube video clips you mentioned, I would give GEM credits for encouraging me to look outside of the box and think of alternative applications. The clips might have become locker room
jokes (I know of at least one occasion) but I just wanted to come up with some alternative applications that I feel are more realistic without deviating from the Kata movements.

Stryke questioned at what point does evolution demand changes. As mentioned above, GEM does allow flexibility on performing the Bunkai's. I forgot his exact words but something like: Up to and including the Shodan test, the students need to do the standard Bunkai's, but after Shodan he/she may (or should?) experiment alternative applications. A good reason the Bunkai's are difficult to change across the board is the necessity of standardization. An example here: During one of my student's Nidan test in a Summer Camp I did my modified Sensan Bunkai with him because I wanted to take the opportunity to demonstrate the modified approach based more on modern day street fighting. But, due to the deviation from the standard, no one else there knows the movements.

I am signing off from this thread. Great information from everyone. Thank you all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:30 pm 

Rick Wilson wrote:

Yup, it is the brachial stun at its best.

There a subtle way for Uechi people to deliver a similar strike by using the so called 'fishtail' wrists blocks/strikes.

Once unintentionally, at camp I dropped a student, while demonstrating a 'fish tail' strike with my right hand to the side of his neck, not hard at all, but with a relaxed heavy hand plus time on target.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:12 pm 

Quote:
Time for a look inward. Geoff Thompson has a great take on what I'm trying to say in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHEgMf0Wr-Q

Great clip, Laird and so poignant. And he even mentions that 'techniques' are really a personal development...and this is _unfortunately_ a common reason for personal strife within individual practitioners and associations, of course.

That, plus the 'negativity' of violence inside of us, as he puts it_ can make life a living hell for so many.

Deep inside, I think we all know that it is doubtful that you'll find all the answers in one place... yet...

So many of us can so easily be led into a form of restrictive thinking of the strict adherence to "historical or traditional" practice with no room for individual 'deviation' if you will...not even in application...while studying under some teachers.

Reason why I am so glad I was able to post the information related to Mark Breslford by Masters Uechi and Nakahodo.

Once shown traditional movements applied in a certain way does not mean that you are only "allowed" to use that motion in exactly the same way! You have to apply the concepts and techniques of the katas in the way that works best for you, and reflects the person you are.

Naturally, other people, being different, may not always agree with what you show them and viceversa...and we must understand and accept this reality.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:13 am 

As one of the very few students of Kanei and the only legit recognized foreign student of Tsutomu. For a start, basically UP to the rank of godan with both these teachers, one was to truly and fully capture and learn the initial concepts of the 3 senior kata. The kyu kata, unless one said they wanted to become a teacher with a school were all but forgotten.

The biggest problem both these men always spoke about, was senior foreign students (mostly American) performing sanchin, and the other 2 senior kata, on a kyu level of understanding. No depth of knowledge from inside the ryuha. Many thought bringing in apps from outside the style and not learning what Kanbun's methods and teachings are THUS distracting from the real ryuha.

High rank, even now, does not equal a high level of knowledge or deep knowledge for that matter.

This was talked about many times with Nakahodo sensei and I.

MARK

"Language was invented to ask questions. Answers may be given by grunts and gestures, but questions must be spoken. People came of age when man asked the first question. Learning stagnation results not from a lack of answers but from the absence of questions."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:39 am 

Mark Brelsford wrote:
High rank, even now, does not equal a high level of knowledge or deep knowledge for that matter.
MARK
Glad to see you on the forums Mark. I have little respect for rank as few with rank,I have encountered deserve my respect. I very much enjoy meeting the exceptions!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:16 am 

Speaking of effective Uechika – Hi Mark I hope you and the family are well it has been a long time.

It was from Mark that I first learned you can generate true power right in that real tight “Uechi space.”

Thanks Mark – don’t know if I’ve actually said that before.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 am 

The brachial stun we see in that clip where the pimp ends up doing a dance...is interesting to dissect as to the why and how it happens.

The Brachial Plexus Origin, which is a nerve bundle located in the side of the neck, is comprised of the median, radial, and ulnar nerves (these travel down and feed into the arm).

Hitting this nerve bundle really zaps the electrical system, and can cause a stunning effect that could very well cause an adversary to collapse onto the ground.
Quote:
An older version of the Army Field Manual on combatives (FM 21-150) describes it this way:

A sharp blow to the side of the neck causes unconsciousness by shock to the carotid artery, jugular vein, and vagus nerve. For maximum effect, the blow should be focused below and slightly in front of the ear. A less powerful blow causes involuntary muscle spasms and intense pain. The side of the neck is one of the best targets to use to drop an opponent immediately or to disable him temporarily to finish him later.
Quote:

But since we are discussing this technique on my forum, I feel obligated to point to a caveat:

If you strike someone over forty, there may well be plaque in the carotid artery that might become dislodged...think...stroke/death. Or the blow can also cause an aneurysm leading to sudden death.

Quote:
An aneurysm occurs when part of a blood vessel (artery) or cardiac chamber swells, - either the blood vessel is damaged or there is a weakness in the wall of the blood vessel. As blood pressure builds up it balloons out at its weakest point. The swelling can be quite small or very large - when large it tends to extend along the blood vessel. As the aneurysm grows there is a greater risk of rupture - this can lead to severe hemorrhage, and other complications, including sudden death.

The strike is delivered using either the back of the hand, the palm heel, the inner forearm or the outer forearm. The bony structures of the wrist and hand are never used for striking unless it is a deadly force situation.

The forearm versions of this strike are used when in extreme close quarters, as the arm extension required for the backhand and palm heel is not feasible.

~~~~

So I wanted everyone reading this discussion, be very aware of the potential complications of such a strike that can put you in jail and deplete you financially.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 am 

Good of Mark to join the discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:23 am 

First... Thank you all for your "welcomes" its nice to be back with you all..

Now that I gave that "food for thought"...

Let me explain a bit, many in the Uechi world have a tendency not to use the tools that this great and effective style has.

There are tons of applications in the kata of this style. What many Okinawan teachers see is a lack of understanding, in folks to pull the movements out of the kata and play with them. The tools are all there just find them.

Don't be stuck in a rut, or satisfied, that there is only one way to do this or that. Explore your kata, make it yours

As someone mentioned application must be "alive", but remember it takes time and practice (godan in Okinawa) to be able to "see", have the power and strength to do this. Don't rush it...enjoy the ride!

M

"Language was invented to ask questions. Answers may be given by grunts and gestures, but questions must be spoken. People came of age when man asked the first question. Learning stagnation results not from a lack of answers but from the absence of questions."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 pm 

Quote:
The brachial stun we see in that clip where the pimp ends up doing a dance...is interesting to dissect as to the why and how it happens.

Good stuff. Thanks, Van.

Quote:
There are tons of applications in the kata of this style. -----etc--- pull the movements out of the kata and play with them. The tools are all there just find them.
Don't be stuck in a rut, or satisfied, that there is only one way to do this or that---

Welcome back, Mark. You said it so much better than I did.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:12 pm 

Mark
Quote:
There are tons of applications in the kata of this style. -----etc--- pull the movements out of the kata and play with them. The tools are all there just find them.
Don't be stuck in a rut, or satisfied, that there is only one way to do this or that---

Good advice.

And I will add a few points of my own:

1. As you play with the moves, always keep in mind the potential opponent the moves will be used against...i.e., this guy with a bat charging… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAuAEvHxf9s

2. Your state of mind at the moment of attack, the people you are with, if any, the place you are at and the situation that led to the attack.

3. Study and ingrain the tactical components of confrontations i.e., at least read Sgt. Miller's "meditations on violence" and 'Facing violence'…

4. And always be on the aware of your physical condition before you decide to engage anybody.

5. Learn and ingrain the concept of a force continuum from empty hands to deadly weapons, i.e., firearms.

~~

Example: If you were to shoot that madman with a bat in the clip above…you might well come out of it in one piece, physically and legally.

A bat attack is deadly force.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next