Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:48 am 

Stryke: "But there's lots of layers to the onion."

And then Laird posted a link that made me think about how the onion we are peeling is really ourselves. (
"the onion is me") And once the layers have all been peeled and there is no onion left, we find out that there was never an onion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:55 am 

8) very astute 8)

peeling onions often causes tears :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:01 am 

You read my mind. :lol: I tried to fit that in, but gave up. :lol:

8)

http://youtu.be/f61EeXmcXRU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm 

Here's another sad ongoing 'situation' and example of how violence can pay you a visit...http://www.infowars.com/i-hate-white-pe ... al-attack/

and the question to the self is how well prepared do we think we are in spite of our training assumptions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:50 pm 

Well, As I have often said you can't predict violence,. you just can't say how it will go down.but folks like to believe that they can :roll: .Poor fool YOU.
As to KATA...it's a toy .play with it if you want.it's not real. Think about it, break it down , it is something very simple ,made very complex, with all sorts of connotations and explanations......BUUUUUUUUT violence is very simple.....I like this sort of stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZg4mqc7n-A

, it's what I do now, I've rejectred all the "sticking hands" and "pushing hands " stuff.now I punch bags and don't listen to fools :P ....don't need kata don't need philosophy,,,,,,,,,,,I need Poor Bob to check my reality out.I can't say how usefull this tool is 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:31 am 

Stryke wrote:
8) very astute 8)

peeling onions often causes tears :lol: :lol:

or pain or grown men soiling them selves. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:08 pm 

I just realized that Feur and I actually have a lot in common:

He's out there, kicking a$$ and taking names, while I'm in here, dancing by myself and playing games.
He teaches karate to warriors, while I watch dvd's of warriors teaching karate.
He uses people as punching bags, while I use punching bags for people.
He preys on large animals with a gun, while I was preyed on by a large animal with a gun.
He showed his knife to a criminal and scared the schit out of him, while a criminal showed his knife to me and scared the schit out of me.
He trains to fuk up multiple attackers by punching and kicking them, while I train because I was fuked up by multiple attackers, who punched and kicked me.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 pm 

It is sad and also sobering for any of us to realize what real violence is all about as per five dragons experiences.

Any martial art, and no matter how well you are trained, is really a match for a swarm of attackers, a firearm pointed at us, or a blade motivated by bad intent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:15 pm 

This is from Hock's Hocheimer
Quote:
There is no such thing as one or two REAL knife attacks. They come in all shapes and sizes, quiet, calm, angry or crazed. They come from all different directions, high, low, front, back, sides, with different motives or no real motive at all, that makes any sense. They use no skill or different levels of preparation and skill.

They attack with one simple slash or stab then leave, or sometimes remain with tens or even over a hundred. There are entire profiles and psychologies, motives and methods at play with knife attackers.

People often think they know and they concoct what their version of a REAL knife attack is, but they don't know. There is no such thing as one or two REAL knife attacks. Prepare mentally and physically instead for a much bigger problem than one or two "real" knife attacks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 pm 

Hock's
Quote:
The uppercut hooking stab is one attack often declared by the naive as "unreal." These people often ridicule folks who practice to counter it.
Let me tell you a Marine story about it. The stab that many people declare "not real?" There were a considerable amount of knife fights in the Pacific in WW II and the Marines set out to investigate what they could learn about them after the war. With interviews they discovered that the common and most successful knife move was...you guessed it, the uppercut hooking stab into the belly.

The curious thing was, this move was NOT in their knife training. It is a "soft tissue stab." Enters the stomach, can puncture the diaphragm and if the knife is long enough, can even get the bottom of the heart.

This whole process was not trained. Yet, most Marines under combat stress resorted to this very natural stab in the study. It was...they described it as ...a “NATURAL” movement.

As a result, they put the move into some knife training doctrine. (I do know though, through the years, this and other knife moves slowly disappeared). I did some knife training with a former Rhodesian commando in the 1990s and this uppercut move was in their "knife 101." Some smart people are trained to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:19 pm 

Hock's
Quote:
As an aside - they also did learn that many times the Marines would lose their knives upon this this stab, as the Japanese soldiers, probably already in motion trying dodge the knife, carried a lot of inertia with them.

The knife embedded in the torso as the enemy turned away, maybe their arms swinging too? And it was the Marines' forearm muscles versus the Japanese full body weight and dodging motion - and the Marines would frequently lose the knife grip. So there was a re-supply of knives available in barrels in some locations. (Thus the importance of the lanyard.)

The reason for these close encounters in the Pacific is another long historical, essay. There are not many knife fights in modern military history.

But the moral of the story is that the uppercut hooking knife attack is actually quite natural and certainly can happen, even from totally untrained people. And trained people.

LEARN RESPONSES TO IT! The uppercut, hooking knife stab, single or multiple stab attempts, is just as real as any other knife stab.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 am 

Good read.

http://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/ ... tter&nlid=

Complacency
Quote:
I know a lot here never completely let their guard down. How many of us still scan the crowd around the restaurant we are about to enter when off duty? How many continue scanning after entering, sitting down, ordering, eating, paying and leaving. After over 35 years, I still do it. And it paid off one time when I was in the back of a 7/11 and a guy walked in and tried to rob the clerk. From the back I heard the door opening, watched in the mirrors they had back then, and saw him pull a bowie knife and threaten the female clerk. Didn't need to shoot him, as he saw my .45 was bigger than his knife, I guess. Or maybe it was the badge on my belt, that was showing. These incidents happen anytime, anywhere, on or off duty. Be alert.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8