Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: clerk-punched-in-face
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:17 am 

Let's be honest, would you have done anything if you were in the line?
Another dumb question: What happened to civility?

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... .kcal.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:32 pm 

1.Civility no longer exists in this world.

2. Intervention is fraught with danger. If the attack continued upon the clerk I think people might have stepped in to stop it.

But once the attack stops and the puncher walks away...if you step in...you will be seen as an aggressor in criminal law...also giving the puncher the right to defend himself.

Also_ if by your intervention once the threat has stopped_ the situation escalates resulting in damage to property and injuries to customers, you will be exposed to civil liability.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:55 pm 

As I said in another thread (Biker Chase):
Quote:
It is unsafe just going out any more. Animals seem to be running wild and (they are) well protected.

One thing to bear in mind and may help us to stay out of trouble during an attack to others in a store or similar places is: most places and just about everywhere have security cameras nowadays. No need to get excited and get yourself into trouble (jumping him may get you a load of troubles as Van mentioned. Furthermore, although he didn't show a gun or knife may be he was just too arrogant to, he just might pull it out if you decided to be the brave man). Having said that, just in case if the security cameras missed his face, if possible take a picture of the thug with your camera and give it to the cops. If he attacks you for taking his picture, well, hopefully he doesn't have a weapon and your years of martial arts training can get you out of it- but if you had been practicing the "right" things (that's another issue all on its own).

Feel so bad for the cashier though. She is someone's wife, someone's mother, a low wage hard worker. If I were there I probably would give her every penny in my wallet and told her to go home. D amn, what is it with those animals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:29 pm 

Very good points, Henry, thank you. This is more prevalent than one might think, that is, finding yourself in a place where there is violence going on.

The police even, will tell you to just be a good witness, instead of trying to be a hero.

Now, I think that if the attack continued upon the poor girl, I would yell out to other able bodied persons, including myself, to tackle the guy to stop him and not to hit him. This does work in most cases, where there are cameras, and also avoid revenge/retribution.

The most worrisome thing, and I have investigated similar cases, is if you do something that places other people at risk...you will never live it down...if someone is killed or injured because of your actions, in addition to your being sued for negligence.

One extreme case I handled down the South Shore, involved a nice restaurant with a bar on the main drag, and where on a Sunday afternoon the tables were occupied by families having dinner.

A bunch of 'bad ass' bikers roared in asking to be served drinks. The bartender complied but at one point the bikers became raucous, upsetting the patrons.

The bartender shut them off.

So they said 'We'll be back in numbers' and tear this place apart.

The mistakes:

1. The patrons continued eating instead of getting the hell out of there.

2. The bartender failed to call the police and ask for a couple of officers to stop by as a deterrent.

~~

Sure enough, 15 minutes later the bikers came back with baseball bats, not only destroyed the bar but hit a poor guy over the head, who was eating dinner with his family, killing him.

The estate filed a wrongful death action against the bartender personally and the owners of the restaurant.

Stupid people all the way around.

And as I have written before, many times a martial artist who thinks he is really tough...will have a tendency to stand his ground, instead of practicing avoidance, with the result he'll end up in a hole in the ground, while his sempais fold the Sanchin arm position back into a 'Sanchin salute'

The world is an ugly place.