retrospect

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

retrospect

Post by fivedragons »

The day my teacher walked up to me and handed me a black colored belt and then walked away in silence, I had no idea that I was doomed to spend the rest of my life trying to earn it. :?
Bill Glasheen

Re: retrospect

Post by Bill Glasheen »

fivedragons wrote:The day my teacher walked up to me and handed me a black colored belt and then walked away in silence, I had no idea that I was doomed to spend the rest of my life trying to earn it. :?
Hmm...

Perhaps you're placing too much value on the belt. And after all, it was just a shodan. In Asia, that's the equivalent of a high school diploma. There's no reason why most average people can't achieve one.

I'd like to offer that you shouldn't be looking back to this as some endpoint. Rather this should have been perceived as a ticket to your journey ahead. Allow it to be torn in half, take your half, and proceed on your path.

Keep the faith!

- Bill
fivedragons

Re: retrospect

Post by fivedragons »

Bill: "Rather this should have been perceived as a ticket to your journey ahead."

Hi, Bill. that is exactly what I meant. Sometimes I am surprised to realize the different ways words can be interpreted.

Was just musing about being taught how to learn, goals without an endpoint, subjective value and the old thing about a blessing and a curse.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”