Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:27 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC0uAz6RM4U

Situation:

-Man with gun inside of your gated property (Think again if a gated property means safety)
-He caught you outside doing the garbage (Not quite home invasion yet but it just might turn into one soon)

Home invasion is a big deal! He is not inside the house yet but he is inside your gate on your property. This homeowner was lucky but are you the lucky kind and can count on it? Can you count on giving him what he wanted and he will walk away (or drive away in this case) after all the hassles of getting over your double wrought iron gates? OK, even if you don't have a gate but he is right at your front door, with a gun on you.

Do you practice gun disarm in your dojo? How good are you? 9 out of 10 times successful? Is that good enough in real life situation? Don't forget what we have talked about a million times, what you do in the dojo and what you do out there are totally different. Are you the lucky kind or just kind of lucky most of the time?

If you practice gun disarming often and have the speed and agility that matches his, and with a little luck on your side you just might have a chance. I teach the stuff but I don't have the speed and agility any more, never much luck either, but---

--- Having a chance and a little luck just might be what you need.

--- The animal is going to be in your house if you don't act ---- situation is dire!

Now another question, would you shoot him after taking his gun or would you rely on your karate afterward? Now how good is your karate? Really! Philosophy and concepts will get you kill here.

We are playing may be this may be that here, but well worth some thinking. Better have some ideas now. Animals are running wild out there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:24 am 

Good thread Henry.

This reminds me of how our Big Clarence was held up by a punk with a gun he shoved into his back while Clarence was opening the front door of his house in Mattapan, then ordered him upstairs into his house.

Inside the kitchen, now the two were at a distance of 6 to 8 feet, the punk pointing the pistol at Clarence.

Clarence told me the next day, he sensed he was about to be shot, so he lunged forward for a disarm.

He did grab the gun, but the punk spun away, gun and all, dove over the kitchen table and from the floor, fired shots at Clarence with the pistol held sideways, gangbanger style, hitting him in the pelvic area three times before the gun jammed.

Maloney and learned gun disarms from Mas Ayoob and John Farnam at the Lethal Force Institute. But were advised not to try them until the very last resort as in the stress of the moment, we would likely mess up and get shot.

I …don't think there are any real answers here, as violence is very unpredictable in a myriad of ways.

Best we can do is to practice awareness and 'foreseeability' [The facility to perceive, know in advance, or reasonably anticipate that damage or injury will probably ensue from acts or omissions.]

Practicing disarms is OK but it may well ingrain an 'operant conditioning' that can get us killed, just like practicing the questionable martial arts techniques.

The best line of thinking here is to be constantly vigilant and anticipate __and always be ready to kill anyone you meet, given the right reasons, one of them being menaced with a weapon.

Example: I live in a idyllic, very peaceful, happy, and picturesque town and neighborhood, with extremely low crime rate.

My home here is in a woodsy area and it has a very long driveway where weekly I need to place the trash barrels all the way down to the street in the evening for pick up the next morning.

There are coyotes all around and we have had a pack of them once attack and kill an elderly woman at night, caught alone.

When I take out the trash with a two wheeler I have a .357 magnum revolver close to my hand at all times that I can fire in an instant against man or beast bent on preying.

When I come home at night I wait until I am very close to the garage doors before I press the 'opener' device in my car…anticipating someone in wait in the bushes or around the garage corner...to try and slip into the garage as I pull in to ambush me and invade my home.

As I get out of the car in the garage, I have the .357 in my right hand.
So …always be armed in anticipation of lurking evil. It might save your life.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:35 am 

Quote:
Now another question, would you shoot him after taking his gun or would you rely on your karate afterward? Now how good is your karate? Really! Philosophy and concepts will get you kill here.

Good question.

Once you take the gun away, you have no right to shoot him, unless he attacks you with the intent of taking his gun back and possibly kill you.

Using karate? And what do you do with the gun you took away, while you use karate on him?

And what makes anyone thing 'his karate' will subdue this assailant?

What if he is as big and strong, as an Andre Tippet, plus mean as hell?

So what do you do now, standing there, holding him at gun point?

Will he obey your orders not to move? Will he try to run away?

Will he threaten to come back and kill you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45 pm 

Good on intuition:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-gut- ... gnore.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:30 pm 

Brazilian justice...

http://www.rushlane.com/motorcycle-hija ... 92645.html