Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Szaboinc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:21 am 

Once again, thank you, Van. Just ordered the shin conditioner and the grip balls from that amazing website. I decided to pass on the garrote, for now. 8O

Post subject: Re: Szaboinc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:04 am 

My pleasure. Some really unique products there.

http://www.szaboinc.com/home.asp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 pm 

Laci Szabo has designed some knives for spyderco...first he did a butterfly knife then a folder, very distinctive designs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWfGgEkubY

looks a lot like the Mas Ayoob folder to me.but I don't think you could really describe it a a "pocket knife" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 pm 

Yup...wouldn't want to get caught in our wonderful state of Ma...with one of those...what will you tell a State Trooper that knife in your pocket is for?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:58 am 

jorvik wrote:
Laci Szabo has designed some knives for spyderco...first he did a butterfly knife then a folder, very distinctive designs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWfGgEkubY

looks a lot like the Mas Ayoob folder to me.but I don't think you could really describe it a a "pocket knife" :lol:
I like it! It is alot like the Ayoob. I got to stop clicking your links Ray your one of my more expensive on line friends. :lol: Think I might it's the right size.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:48 pm 

Hi Laird,
I'm surprised you haven't seen that one around, I can see how you would like it though, you seem to like a curved cutting blade like a scimitar............I'm just a knife nut I love all types of knives
I thought that you would have one of these by now :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwimJteCPjI

but it's not the biggest production folder out there J.J. Martinez make bigger and IMHO better 8)

http://www.filofiel.com/tiendaonline/jj ... -1630.html

and for a gentleman's folder you really have to look to Europe they have the best tradition for that sort of thing.Italy for example , but they also do dangerous looking knives
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usCyxqkv_r0

and surprisingly Bulgaria
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _B2Wpp0TDI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:23 pm 

They are nice knives for collectors but not very practical for self defense.

it's like the old saying by the police....a gun won't do you any good unless it is in your hand when trouble starts.

Same with blades.

Reason why I like the Emerson Commander...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 pm 

This is what I have

3 inch blade for cutting through seat belts, etc. and the butt end can be used as an impact tool for breaking car windows, etc. Pointy tip for getting pickles out of the jar, etc.

Hardly ever carry it anyway. :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:41 pm 

Good knife...you can also see the butt end of the Emerson being sharp as a skull crusher or breaking a car window in emergency. The curved blade of the Emerson gives it great slicing power.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:43 pm 

I can't say that I like any of the standard models by emmerson, I think that his Customs and the ones that are pimped by ferrrk are fantastic though.but a Commander at $219 is a collectors knife not a user.............IMHO you have to be prepared to dump your knife or leave it sticking in somebody.so something like CRKT Cruiser would suit that..................Knives are not treally liked in my country :cry: so quality knives are hard to come by, but having worked for Law and order for 25 years I can say that though my country is overwhelmed by " knife Crime" the weapon of choice is usually a 4 inch kitchen utility knife, or a boxcutter.........never anything more than that

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 pm 

With the "Traveler" in the closed position, I can place my thumb over the blade end with the wave opener seated between my first two fingers. This causes the other end to protrude from the "hammer fist" about half an inch. If I find myself in a bad situation, I would hope that I could use it in this manner to do what needs to be done. Would be like getting hit with a ball peen hammer.

It is an extremely solid and balanced knife with a locking mechanism that I can trust. I love the way the handle fits perfectly into my hand in both standard and reverse grip, with no chance of slippage.

Awesome tool, and I can wear it without looking like a bloodthirsty pirate. :lol:

An interesting thing about the material used for the handle, is that it is impossible to leave a fingerprint on it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:03 pm 

Nice looking carry!

I have never heard the claim that EKI knife handles are fingerprint proof. Five of Diamonds could you substantiate this comment? (no offense, always interested to learn)

I believe G10 composite handles are used on Emerson Knives. G10 scales are used on most decent folders these days, it's pretty much an industry standard. What is G10? Well it's just another name for a material that has been in use in manufactured products for a very long time micarta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta

We all have different needs when it comes to our choice for an every day carry. Where we live and work will influence that decision, as will out body type and local laws. I'm contemplating switching to carrying a fixed blade as my EDC. Folders are pretty much impossible to open when your wearing work gloves.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:13 pm 

Can you legally carry a fixed blade, Laird, and of what length?

If no legal problems, it would also be my preference.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:39 pm 

Hey Laird, tried to find something to verify my claim, but couldn't. I wasn't saying that the material wouldn't hold the oils from the skin, but these handles are made with a rough surface, like a tiny offset honeycomb pattern. I found something about if there are enough points of the print on a rough surface, like a brick or rock, it can be possible to connect the dots, but would not be a fully detailed print. So, I was making an assumption based in the rough pattern on the handle. According to some guy on the internet, the difference between G10 and micarta is that G10 is a resin with glass, while micarta is a resin with fibers.

Just for the record, I'm not worried about fingerprints. :lol: The thing sits on my bookcase most of the time anyway, so if I ever really need it, hopefully I'll be near my bookcase, otherwise I'll just be wishing for it.

Just got the shin conditioning wheels in the mail right now. They seem to be really well made! Right on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:57 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
Can you legally carry a fixed blade, Laird, and of what length?

If no legal problems, it would also be my preference.
There is no federal law in Canada restricting blade length or restricting fixed blades.

Spring openers (Switch blades, stilettos are prohibited, as are balisong and other inertia openers.) Spring assist openers are legal but sometimes create problems with the over zealous LEO. Knives are illegal to be carried for the purpose of self defense in Canada however they are useful tools and may be carried.

If one finds them self facing a disparity of force in a violent confrontation we are allowed under Canadian law to escalate our response. If one deploys a weapon in self defense in Canada they can expect to be charged.

The courts will determine if your use of force was appropriate. In their determination they will only consider if your response to your perception of the events was appropriate.

So you can conveniently find a blade in a life threatening situation and deploy it, you just can't carry one planning to do so.

If I start to carry a fixed blade I'll look for easy to sharpen steel and a blade length around 6.5 inches with a large solid hand and a good choil to prevent sliding down the cutting edge. Overall length probably 12.5 to 13 inch.