Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Survive a dog attack
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:26 am 

I found this interesting.

http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/dog-attacks/index.htm

Quote:
Most dog attacks take place when an unsupervised dog charges up to investigate a dog on a leash. “It's a dog's nature to investigate the new dog by sticking his nose in the new dog's crotch,” says Minnerly. “Dogs instinctively attack the stomach because gut wounds nearly always prove fatal. It's a lot like the way lions bring down prey in the wild. If you get in the way, the dog will bite you, too. The worst thing you can do during a dog attack is run,” says Minnerly. “If you run, the dog sees you as prey, and he'll chase you down.”

Quote:
If the unthinkable happens, and a vicious dog attacks you or someone you love, quickly search your environment for weapons to hold the dog at bay. If a bite is truly inevitable and you find no weapons at close range, use a shirt or jacket to wrap your weak-sided arm. Offer the protected arm to the dog as a distraction while you call for help or attempt to back to safety. Often in a frenzied attempt to get at you, an attacking dog will bite almost anything.

A stick, a bag or a book may provide a valuable substitute for an arm or leg as you try to escape. It's always a good idea to carry weapons such as mace, a knife or even a handgun. Real survivalists carry more than one weapon. Two knives, one carried on each side prepares you to survive an incapacitating wound to either your right or left side and allows you to fight on.

If you carry a knife, cut the throat, stab the eyes or the face of the dog for the quickest reaction. Stabs to the body don't always take effect in time to prevent the dog from biting you. Attacking the dog's face, jaw muscles or throat will disable it quicker and may prevent serious injury to the person.

Post subject: Re: Survive a dog attack
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:28 am 

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Kent ... =video&c=y

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:26 pm 

Quote:
“I've had police officers down on the ground under attack by a criminal. When the policeman calls his dog for help, the dog attacks him,” says Minnerly, “because he's on the bottom of the pile. It takes a lot of training to overcome a dog's natural instinct.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:58 pm 

I have a big dog, a Dogue de Bordeux, with a dog this large it would be like fighting a lion, you really wouldn't stand a chance. If you have a dog then you start to understand the way that they think and behave. there is a saying which is fundamently true " There are no bad dogs,only bad owners" Certain breeds can be very dangerous if they have bad owners, but the most common dog to bite in the UK is a labrador, that could be because they are so common, and were kids are involved you should be worried about small dogs like terriers which can kill a toddler easily.
I spoke with a police officer who had had to shoot a dog that had killed a child, the dog ( from what I can gather was used in dog fights).the officer told me that the people who use these dogs for fighting feed them steroids and raw meat to make them bigger and more aggressive......my dog is a gentle giant , as soft as a puppy but I know that he could change like a werewolf if anybody in my house was attacked........they are great protectors, but they need as much knowledge as you need when you own a dangerous weapon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:53 pm 

How much does this dog cost you, Ray, in daily chow? :)

True about bad owners but the dog's nature cannot be discounted, especially when gathering as a pack one reason or another.

I was almost attacked by a dog one night while taking my long walk down my drive-way to put out the garbage.

Don't know who the owner was [there is a leash law in my town]...but this stupid owner was one small step away from becoming 'dogless' because he almost ran into a .357 magnum high velocity extreme shock bullet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a1PfHZvpXE

And in my work I have handled countless cases of serious dog bites/attack, even upon little children by the dog owners.

There is a statute in Mass. holding the dog owner strictly liable for any injury or damage a dog will cause unless there is proof that the dog was being tormented.

In one case a dog bolted across the highway, causing a car to swerve and crash killing the occupant.

The owner was found strictly liable and we paid the policy limits to the estate of the decedent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 am 

http://youtu.be/NkrexXKcnEs

A short clip about a dog that saved two little girls from a mountain lion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:36 pm 

"How much does this dog cost you, Ray, in daily chow?

True about bad owners but the dog's nature cannot be discounted, especially when gathering as a pack one reason or another."

He doesn't cost that much Van. He usually has two meals a day we give him a bowl of his special pedigree food, some sausages and eggs.
Well the mentality of a pack is different than for an individual. For a dog to be happy he needs to know who is the leader of the pack.in this case me.but it is quite a big subject to get into with many different opinions." Nature or Nurture" applies with anilmals as well as people, although I guess people are animals as well.

5 Dragons.cool video all Mastiffs are protective and territorial. they also have the strongest bite of any dog, and yet if my dog takes a treat out of my hand he is very gentle whereas a terrier would take a couple of fingers off :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZm037jPNgc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:13 am 

Quote:
He usually has two meals a day we give him a bowl of his special pedigree food, some sausages and eggs.

My kind of dog :lol: