Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The knock out game
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:12 pm 

Quote:
1. Injury works.

Brains are soft and fragile, and a single solid blow to the head is more than enough to cause a concussion and unconsciousness: real, debilitating injury. People who are so injured are often not capable of arresting their fall in any meaningful way—they tend to strike their head on the ground for secondary complicating injuries. This is where they die.

There is nothing to be learned from trying to reverse-engineer the blow, the concussion, the fall and figure out what you would do in their shoes. (The answer, below, is not the one anyone wants to hear.) From an operational side the results are illuminating and can help build your confidence—if you know how to cause injury, this serves as an example of the power you wield.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:13 pm 

Quote:
2. The attacker wins.

The person who brings the injury to the party gets to go home when it’s over. The person eating it, not so much. The aggressor, the assailant, the attacker has a distinct advantage over the defender. If they swing and miss (or fail to inflict debilitating injury) then it’s anybody’s game; but if they connect and injure everything can be resolved victoriously with a single blow. This is why we must strike the idea of “defense” as an action from our thinking and doing—regardless of how it starts or where we find ourselves, the first thing we must do when we realize it’s on is attack.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:15 pm 

Quote:
3. Everyone can sucker-punch anyone.

There is no meaningful “defense” against a sucker punch, no more than you can dodge a bullet once it’s left the barrel.

“What do I do if I get sucker-punched?” You get hit. Period.

If they get it right, you’re out. If they screw it up and you find that you can think and move, attack. Trying to work this problem from the losing end is pointless—things like blocking, countering and the like are seductive fantasies that we can make work in the training environment… but they evaporate into awful nothingness when subjected to the heat of actual violence.

No one wants to get hit, and if that was a choice we could make then we’d be training for it. The hard fact is that you don’t get to choose whether or not you get hit; the only choices in violence are when to attack and when to stop. And that’s it. Everything else that’s going to happen will happen.

The most dangerous part of the blocking fantasy (aside from choosing second place) is what happens when objective reality rudely obliterates your subjective one—you panic. If you train to not get hit the thought process upon getting cracked runs along the lines of: OH MY GOD IT’S NOT WORKING! If, instead, you train for objective reality as it stands, then getting hit—without injury—comes as no surprise. You’ll be able to act instead of trying to deal with something that’s already happened.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:19 pm 

Quote:
4. The only way to win the knockout game is to not play.

It seems so obvious… and yet, it’s easy to lose sight of this simple truth.

Maintain your situational awareness in public, especially with regards to the idea that space—distance—will grant you precious reaction time. Change your behavior to minimize your risk and take nothing for granted.

This is not the same as stalking through the world giving everyone the hairy eyeball with one hand on the butt of a gun—that gets exhausting and is corrosive to the psyche—it’s simply paying attention, being mindful and not drifting away to curl up inside your own skull as you go about your business.

When you do that you appear vulnerable—remember that victimizers are actively seeking victims, not those who appear to be aware of their surroundings.

The solution to this problem does not lie in a cool move or a secret technique, or even in more training—this is something for the home, the school and society to hack at the root of the issue. Until the fad subsides—as it inevitably will—we will unfortunately be reminded of the hard facts of violence and injury, and the completely unfair physical world in which we live.

The winners in violence use that lack of fairness to their advantage; when this is done within the proper context we give the perpetrator a pass and call it justified.

When it’s used for the sake of amusement, or power, or from ignorance it’s monstrous. Nevertheless, we must always strive to learn what we can from it, both to inform our social judgment and operational capacity, as hard as it may be to see that the same information can serve both.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:21 pm 

Quote:
One thought on “Winning the Knockout Game”

1.Carroll November 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Don’t walk alone if you can and carry a hand gun if you have one. I make no apologies for my answer. A very strong message has to be sent that this is not acceptable in society and if it were to happen more than once, it would probably cease to be a game to them. It’s not a game. It’s assault with the possibility of a traumatic permanent brain injury or death.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:23 pm 

Quote:
There is no meaningful “defense” against a sucker punch, no more than you can dodge a bullet once it’s left the barrel.

“What do I do if I get sucker-punched?” You get hit. Period.

~~

Quote:
If they get it right, you’re out. If they screw it up and you find that you can think and move, attack. Trying to work this problem from the losing end is pointless—things like blocking, countering and the like are seductive fantasies that we can make work in the training environment… but they evaporate into awful nothingness when subjected to the heat of actual violence.

~~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:14 pm 

Good article. Thanks.

Hey guys, I was a little concerned with the stuff I have been posting, so I googled my user name and lo and behold, it brought me to my last post here. Da*#!

As Van said many times on the forum, you never know what you say online could be twisted by the lawyers against you. Be careful.

Don't use real name, don't use user name abbreviated from your real name as I did.

I read criticisms of folks who do not use real names, such as "if you are not a coward, why don't you use your real name?"
They don't know what they are talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

A man in Michigan gave a guy two extra orifices with his handgun for trying to play this game. I haven't heard of it happening in Alaska.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:57 am 

http://www.tonyblauerblog.com/2013/11/2 ... t-ss-hole/

Better than anything I could write.

just spineless punks with this crap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

A link to the Lansing, MI incident made the Thug Report.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:16 pm 

If you are not aware then you are an easy target .but not just that without awareness you can walk into oncoming traffic and inadvertantly put yourself at risk. It is really the first thing that you must develop. Not going into certain areas at nightime is a development of this skill, eventually if you are consistant then the chances are that you will never be in a situation where you are in danger.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:42 pm 

Listen to this (from Thug Report):

Victim:
Quote:
"I saw the van circle twice, and the second time three kids came out. I didn't suspect anything."

Thug:
Quote:
just a certain game to be played on certain days. You don't even try to rob them or anything.

Quote:
(Thug) said they liked to target crowds because it would be easier for them to get away. It could be played during the day or night, and it didn't matter who the victim was, man or woman, old or young

Sounds to me one needs to be a little more than just being aware of his surrounding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 pm 

Quote:
Sounds to me one needs to be a little more than just being aware of his surrounding.

True. You must be ready to really hurt someone in survival mode and hurt them real bad...unfortunately it will not be something you can do easily with your 'empty hands'...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:57 pm 

"Sounds to me one needs to be a little more than just being aware of his surrounding."

not at all, it depends on your natural level of awareness. you see guys walking around with a coffee mug in hand and stereo headphones on, may as well have their fingers up their arse. I am always aware even in crowds, if you have that kind of mindset it takes a lot to surprise you.
As tp hurting people etc.i notice that people will say that /I am very aggressive when I am not, I am just very assertive.....for example a bitchslap looks very violent when it is just decisive............when you move quickly and decisively, cut away all the fluff and bubbles, no silly stances or set ways of moving your hands e.g. hands held at the hip.then to people who don't move like this you do look violent.but it's them who are doing it wrong :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:50 pm 

The deadly force game:

Quote:
SOME NOTES FROM FORCE ON FORCE

1). All fights involve one party taking the initiative and the other party responding. There are no mutually agreed upon fights. You start the ambush, react to it, or avoid the danger area altogether. Most so-called modern gun training, takes the assumption that, due to a super developed mind-set, that the "modern operator" will never be surprised and thus always have the initiative. Very wishful thinking if you ask me.

2). If you have good information and can trust what you see, you can take the initiative on the adversary. This may mean preemptive drawing and shooting, as well as preemptively leaving before the fight begins. Distance benefits those who wish to be preemptive which is why the insistence of certain schools in always maintaining such distance, and always being alert.

Problem is, you can't "always" do anything. If you can guarantee always being alert, 24/7/365, and will never be surprised - and can guarantee it 100%, then just work on your marksmanship and don't worry about anything else. In fact, why are you even listening to me? The rest of us will look at other solutions.

3). If the adversary also has the initiative the result will either be a "suicide drill" where each man kills the other, or a stand-off where nothing happens until one of them decides to either act or leave. We see the suicide drill a lot when training first time FOF students from certain gun disciplines. They rely on a fast draw without thinking that the other man may also have a fast draw, or even get to start the fight.