Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Grab Drill
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:29 pm 

Hock Hochhiem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YWEUSXoQWE

Good stuff and a natural for Uechi moves.

Hock
Quote:
"I will never tell you how to fight. That is your job. We just get

together and experiment, problem-solve and exercise."

Post subject: Re: The Grab Drill
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:54 am 

Good stuff Van , my group works kotikitae as the hubud type drill above , and with a grab variation almost identical

lots to learn form stretching out the uechi fundamentals and exploring this kind of stuff , you can do grabs , jams , slips , and just learn to negotiate angles of force , combine getting of the x and you've got basic positional strategy .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:13 pm 

That is a great drill, and it is very versatile. I have done it were you grab with one hand and strike with the other. My favourite variation is to use the lbow of the none catching hand for limb destruction 8) ..a lot of the traditional phillipino arts are very clever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:26 pm 

Nice, yeah there's strike the limb and grab, and strike the limb and attack at the same time as you said Ray

After a while you're timing and mindset changes, attacking and receiving at same

Great way to get familiar with force

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:50 am 

Hey, Van! Fun stuff!

I've sometimes introduced aikido in my Uechi classes, only because when people mess up a move I teach, it's usually because they violate a stupid/simple principle of Uechi. Thus it's an opportunity for me to get them out of their familiar comfort zones and show them how to apply basics in other venues.

What I found interesting is how "grabbing" was so obvious and simple to me, while others stumbled. Like playing baseball, a lot of people just figure it out by doing. But when watching someone stumble, it became obvious to me that "obvious" wasn't necessarily obvious to people who didn't have a certain degree of ingrained athletic ability.

One final note... The basic drill that the video is based on is the opening move in Uechi's Sanseiryu. Marcus correctly noticed that the structure is also in kotekitae. The hand switching from inside to outside is called watari uke in Uechi circles. Where and how you can grab within that basic structure is interesting. I learned a lot by watching.

- Bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 am 

Good stuff Bill , kotikitae follows the hubud lubud pattern in FMA

it crops up in lots of places , and translated hubud lubid means Tie and Untie , grabbing fits straight in and it is its own counter to being grabbed .

I really think Kotikitae is uechi hidden treasure , hidden in plain sight .... so much strategy feel , and positioning in one little drill , and a gateway into so much material and understanding , tegumi drills , sticking hands , grabbing , clinching , striking , its all there .

got to love the uechi basics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:25 pm 

Hope all is going well, Marcus.

We *really* need to get you and I together with Raffi. He's ranked in Uechi, FMA, and JKD. He does similar circular drills that one does back and forth and back and forth until you're starting to think about if you've gotten your laundry done and how cute that girl is on the other side of the room. And then he challenges you to do techniques in-between the beats. That improv on top of basic structure is actually what jazz and some rock & roll is all about. Then once you get it down empty-handed, he puts a stick or a knife in your hand and challenges you to follow the same pattern. So much from so little. This is the reason why Uechi and FMA blend so well together, and why Raffi aggressively pursues both arts.

That said...

When teaching partner work, I get to a certain point with drills like this where I can pick out who plays a musical instrument (or sings or dances) and who doesn't. The dialogue is usually something like this.

..... BILL: Do you play a musical instrument?

..... STUDENT: No.

..... BILL: I can tell...

Yea yea... so I'm not the most understanding teacher at times. :lol: But really... I firmly believe that if you don't play some type of musical instrument, there are some things in martial arts and in athletics that you will never quite get. I implore such students to pick up music (violin, piano, drums, what-ever...) as a hobby. They don't even need to be good at it. They just need to learn the concept of timing, and how intricate it can get.

This aging white boy can still take a lot of younger, faster people strictly because of rhythm and timing. Being fast is important, but having a deep understanding of rhythm is even more so.

- Bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 pm 

Good stuff Bill, Marcus.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:52 am 

All's good Bill , all the best to you and yours I'm feeling festive already :)

I'm sure Rafi has a leg up with the FMA and JKD angle , it is a great combination.

I hear what you say about music and timing , while music is your medium its really a consciousness and awareness issue , I don't play any instrument well so id be in the non-musician bracket , but I do get what your talking about.

these flow drills are exactly about this to me , I got into Uechi because of Patrick McCarthy , not because he recommended it but because he introduced me Sanchin , and then proceeded to blow my mind with all the tegumi drills and pratical functional applications in a way only he can .

well I've never been a follower , so I didn't follow the messenger but struck out after the message , Uechi had everything I was looking for .

all the more chinese weapons missing in my Shotokan practice , the range , the internal aspects , the conditioning , and there all wrapped up in a bow was its very own authentic tegumi type drills .

Back to the point .....

I always tell my students that you know when you can do a drill when you can no longer do them .......

Yes I get a lot of confused looks but there very forgiving and used to me 8)

to many get expert at the drill , but the drill is mean to highlight something , once you master the thing the drill becomes to difficult to flow , timing drills become interrupts , reception drills become interception drills and so on and so on .

So I love drills were you can mix the cadence , change the moments , explore the moments between the moments .....

and ultimately make them impossible to do .....

I guess I'm advocating never be a master of the drill , be a master of the lesson .

Would be great fun to catch up I'm sure , looking forward to news on the book 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 am 

I love drills but they do have a great many shortcomings. I used to train with a friend who had an escrima school, but the problem was that we were hitting each others sticks rather than trying to hit each other, we became too accomodating. With other drills or exercises you get to "into" the drill so things like sticking hands and pushing hands can become ends in themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:56 am 

Great thread. 8)