Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bare knuckle boxing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:42 pm 

With all the talk of palm strikes and damage to your hands when you fight using your fists I wondered how they got on in the old days of bareknuckle boxing. It turns out that they were aware of this and punched a lot differently to modern day boxers, both in the way they punched and the targets that they chose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V2Uf06NrFc

I found this very informative

Post subject: Re: Bare knuckle boxing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:57 pm 

Yes, the fist is a great weapon and you are right about using it on the right targets.

Any place where it is soft-- as oppose to where it can damage your knuckles and put you at risk of not being able to continue.

The nose, solar plexus, liver, and groin. (I would stay away from the nose due to the only reason that breaking it will be bloody which means increasing the difficulty of dealing with the situation if the cops show up.)

The stomach is not a bad target either-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MciLrVWcP8w (I think the punch struck the stomach, slightly lower than the solar plexus.)

Post subject: Re: Bare knuckle boxing
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:53 pm 

I posted this just by chance as it was only just uploaded to that site and it seemed relevant to stuff that I had on my mind. Which was that we assume things so much so that we get blinded by this, and there are two things here one is that bare knuckle boxing works, but, it is totally different to modern boxing........I was actually looking at some of their knife fighting videos and they said that in medieval times the defences against a knife was against downward strikes, contrary to what people do today......so this is from people from people who actually killed using these techniques.their views on law and order and politicians are also very different from today