Server-side Includes

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

moulton

Server-side Includes

Post by moulton »

Anthony,

Have you ever used server-side includes?

Allen
moulton

Server-side Includes

Post by moulton »

Hello Anthony.

My reason for using a server-side include is to place into one file, data which I use across multiple pages, such as my menus and drop-down submenus from my Pulse. I make one change in the file and presto the 200 odd pages will reflect that change. I need to start going macro.

.shtml was at least once a requirement.

I also considered using in-line frames to accomplish the same thing but some browsers do not support in-line frames yet. There is only so much one can do when specializing towards a specific browser before it starts to bite him in the a'. Knowing how close to the bleeding edge of technology to bring the webpages requires subjective decisions sometimes.

What I'd like to do is wrap my entire website into one main Active-X control, but that is at least several years off yet and I'm getting there one small step at the time.

It'd be sweet to ZIP pages including graphics on the server, then when the URL is requested, the zip file is downloaded on to the pc and opened but not extracted from. This would make for faster URL access and save space on the local hard drive. 56k is just not fast enough.

Dennis is planning a 3-D graphics site in December or early next year using VMRL (you know, the spinning cube). Got to have speed.

Allen
moulton

Server-side Includes

Post by moulton »

Hello Anthony.

Check your syntax.

There is also another way of including external text, and that is by using the OBJECT tags. HOWEVER, it doesn't work.
Either I am syntactically incorrect or IE doesn't understand it. To rework your example by substituting OBJECT for the include:

< HTML>
< HEAD>
< TITLE>Title of page</TITLE>
< BODY>
< OBJECT data="header.html">< /OBJECT>
Body of page
< OBJECT data="footer.html">< /OBJECT>
< /BODY>
< /HTML>

[This message has been edited by moulton (edited 11-29-98).]
moulton

Server-side Includes

Post by moulton »

ok, Anthony.

To be more precise, in The Pulse I use Java Scripting for the pull-down menu boxes and Java Applets for the horizontal menu bar.

The horizontal menu bar is the 'include' of interest.

What I thought I had a handle on was the OBJECT tag and the server-side includes.

Wrong! Hence a call to this page.

However you brought to light that at least the server-side is CGI but maybe also the OBJECT tags were also CGI.

I dicked-around with the Applet stuff for awhile to get it to perform correctly in a separate file but to no avail. I wanted to do the include business in HTML but looks like that is out unless I want to learn Pearl first; that is out too.

BY THE WAY. Two other things I wrote about on these forums just rang a bell.

You called me a dirty mname the other day; I think it was 'Visionary'. Aren't they people who walk around with crosses trying to convert people? Anyway, the common website... Hold on to that thought past the next pagaraph.

This morning I mentioned a Cynthia Rothrock page and web ring. The key word is WEB RING. Apparently webrings 'glue together' closely cooperative sites such as ICQ does with it's members except anyone with a browser can get to web rings.

Don't know how long it has been around, but today's research (elsewhere than Rothie's place) discovered web rings are touted as a hot way to link related sites; the thought you've been holding on to. I guess if you had a ring of six sites you could play Russian Roulette. Panimaesh?

Allen

moulton

Server-side Includes

Post by moulton »

Anthony,

I added more to my previous post as you were posting your response. It is an aside.

Java does not have the debugging power that MSVC++ does. Do you write in Java or J++?

Yeah, I saw the missing curly braces. It is the same format in c++ but I thought that the other java debuggers caught at least that one.

Headers and footers preplanned? Right. An entire website of more than a few pages should be designed up front using a top-down methodology. It should go into the original design of a project. I wanted inclused for my dojo listings but had to regress to using frames because I did not know how to do it the way I wanted to and was not in hot pursuit of a better way.

Allen

moulton

Server-side Includes

Post by moulton »

Anthony,

Nothing wrong with that except I couldn't figure what inclused means.

Snag the dstuff, eh? True fisherman.

Thousand pages? Im thinking of using VSS when Dennis gets started with his.

The header and footer we discussed works nice but it still isn't the answer although closer.

The concept of web rings is ok. Ugly tables on pages with yucky graphics can ruin any page.

Allen

moulton

Server-side Includes

Post by moulton »

Anthony,

Have you noticed the super-increased activity in the net this weekend causing pages to take much longer than normal to load or not load at all. Similiar to Cape traffic on weekends. Just stay off the road unless you like large parking lots.

I'm going to play later this week with '#include' directives and such. I only have several 'original' HTML books, purchased when HTML first hit the bookstores. I was coding HTML for a local company when Java was created. There are some good website tutorials on the net for anyone wishing to learn basic webpage design. It almost isn't necessary anymore with all the new HTML wizards out there. (A wizard is an application that 'talks you through' writing a webpage and automatically sets up a lot of parameters through dragon drop Image} mechanisms)

Update: Interesting! I made an ASCII side-face above and this UBB automatically converted it to a red face. What other surprises lurk deep inside this thing?

Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”