Mountain lion attacks, and what we can learn

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

Re: Mountain lion attacks, and what we can learn

Post by fivedragons »

Laird: "Maybe I should have just painted the dog"

8) Hindsight is always 20/20
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Laird: "I tried teaching the dog, but the dog had no fight in it, stopped coming to class after a few sessions, complaining that the shins were too bruised. Maybe I was a bad teacher and rushed the dogs conditioning."

Oh my lord. :lol:
Feur

Post by Feur »

fivedragons wrote:8) Hindsight is always 20/20
I'm just happy to see anything these days :) . Just finished a bout with the autoimmune system, it tried to kill my eyes again. I've given up making perfect decisions in life and have decided to attempt to survive instead. Some days are struggles. But... "I can see clearly now!" (uveitis and conjunctivitis) It's been a few years since I had an out break...medicine expired in 2009 but still did the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jsw_r0hILQ
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

I hope things turn out okay. I have a minor but strange condition, where my right eye has a cyst on the back, near the optic nerve. It makes driving a car an adventure, as the faster I go, the more my eyes are perceiving different information. It causes wave-like distortions that affect my depth perception and peripheral vision. I was told that laser surgery might be able to help it, or cause permanent blindness. :? WTF?

I feel like a total loser. I can't drive on the freeway without experiencing a full blown panic attack. :lol:
Feur

Post by Feur »

Articles are correct Van there still is a stigma attached to PTSD within the service. One of my friends was among the first to come forward. I'll mention no names and keep things brief. A veteran of Bosnia and Rwandan He came home and developed problems. Eventually he was put on medical leave got to talk to shrinks and was given drugs until he was out of his gourd.

The Canadian military had not given credence to the condition back then and he was pretty much treated as a slacker a malignancy and shunned by those he served with. If you sick you are weak! We are strong you don't belong!

He had no where to turn. He eventually became so frustrated angry lost that he got drunk while medicated and drove his pickup truck into the front doors of head quarters one morning. He got a lot more attention after that. Charged and facing a dishonorable discharge, he, his family and the media brought PTSD to national attention. Eventually PTSD was recognized as a real illness, eventually after going thru a very public battle against the government that he had served he got treatment as did others.

Today my friend lives on rural land and raises horses...think he's doing okay...but PTSD isn't like the common cold, it's always there, you may get better but it can trigger again, it lurks in the background. He has a pension and lives with his horses has a few dogs and a gal in his life. He's functional. He doesn't work these days he gets by on a wee pension and the critters are his medicine. Equine therapy is working for the lad. Caring for critters has brought him peace he could not find in every day life.

This guy brought the disorder out of the closet . Many members of his regiment shun him because he broke with command and went public. Well if not for him those that are ill would be adrift with no help. Because he was first and went public he suffers rejection. Van you realize that those that have served know that the best ear is an ear that's been there. There is a bond that can not be broken in our life time. Worst thing one could suffer is rejection by ones peers.

BTW PTSD is also prevalent within the RCMP. This police force also works with the provost corps/ security branch of the military. They deploy on peace keeping missions and help 3rd world nations develop a professional policing service. This has come at a cost and some officers have had developed issues upon returning home. And like the military the police service has also been slow in accepting the diagnosis and providing medical service to veteran officers.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I think folks can learn from the sharing mate

Its the judgment , the thought somehow your weak our didn't prepare that others can impose on you

Its real ignorance . Such courage , if only the rest of us all had the courage to admit to ourselves it could happen to anyone. Easier to remain strong than be vulnerable

And we end up In this viscous circle.

It's akin to the ignorance that some sort of martial prowess its the answer, its all statistics and odds, and we've got to acknowledge it can go against you.
Last edited by Stryke on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Laird: "Many members of his regiment shun him because he broke with command and went public."

F$ck them. Who's the sheep, now.
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

And then there is the problem of rape. There are times when the chain of command and the cohesion of a unit will not suffice. Problems have to be addressed, and service members do not need to be treated like they are orphans in a vast reform school.
Feur

Post by Feur »

fivedragons wrote:Laird: "Many members of his regiment shun him because he broke with command and went public."

F$ck them. Who's the sheep, now.
My friend many of them are damaged too. We all don't come home again unscathed. I know you've been thru some hell in your own experience, lets not judge those who are living in a personal hell. The ethos are what they are but all members subscribe to them and they make things tick. I spent decades in this culture, I believe it to be correct. The flaw I see is not the team players performing as required. The failure I see is the command structure failing to care for the serving members forcing one to step out of line! If we were looking after our people they would not have to use alternative measures to seek help. The Ethos is to soldier on endure all hardships that's the job. This individual was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He helped many soldiers and is condemn by some as a result. This culture is not built by the bottom of the structure it's top down and adhered to by all.
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

My bad, I did not mean to malign anyone. It infuriates me when I hear about people who have lost so much, being turned on by the system that they served. I really just wish everything could be better for those who need help.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Laird/5D...sorry to hear about the eyes problems...do you guys have trouble getting a driver's license?

And what you two are relating about the PTSD subject is indeed somber.
Van
Feur

Post by Feur »

Van Canna wrote:Laird/5D...sorry to hear about the eyes problems...do you guys have trouble getting a driver's license?

And what you two are relating about the PTSD subject is indeed somber.
No problem getting license to drive heavy equipment or large passenger vehicles like a bus. My condition is temporary and I don't work if I have a vision issue. (happens every 5 years.) Think of it as an allergy. That's what arthritis of the eye is, an inflammation of a body part. Can be triggered by dirt in the eye...which can be a risk when your engaged in moving tons of the stuff. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: If I keep medication handy I can nip the reaction in the bud!
Feur

Post by Feur »

fivedragons wrote:My bad, I did not mean to malign anyone. It infuriates me when I hear about people who have lost so much, being turned on by the system that they served. I really just wish everything could be better for those who need help.
I agree we need to demand it of our legislative representative. It's the only way things will improve, voters demanding change. Those who make decisions/control the purse strings live on votes.
Feur

Post by Feur »

Stryke wrote:I think folks can learn from the sharing mate

Its the judgment , the thought somehow your weak our didn't prepare that others can impose on you

Its real ignorance . Such courage , if only the rest of us all had the courage to admit to ourselves it could happen to anyone. Easier to remain strong than be vulnerable

And we end up In this viscous circle.

It's akin to the ignorance that some sort of martial prowess its the answer, its all statistics and odds, and we've got to acknowledge it can go against you.
5 edits, I know your attempting to be precise and speaking from your heart mate. I agree with what you've posted. I believe the study of the martial arts is a look inward. We can not move forward without acknowledging our faults and setting out to improve on the short comings we have seen. To posture tough and superior only serves to point to our shortcomings. Unfortunately those that need our support don't receive it when we roll about in our own insecurities. The circle is only broken if we are willing to look in and look out. It's difficult to put others needs ahead of our own problems. But to solve this problem we must address the needs of others first.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I shouldn't post on my phone, it just doesn't work.

You captured my sentiment, I think the inability to open up reflects more on the judge than the judged

we all have our walls but I honestly try to be as authentic and honest as possible, sure makes decisions under stress far easier.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”