Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:03 pm 

I've been visiting these last years many dojos , different groups of Uechi Ryu Karate , and watch in amazement , as has been abandoned almost entirely on adult classes and advanced , the practice of Jiyu Kumite
Any of you have an explanation of why this happens?
always listen to the kata and kumite were intimately related !
also remember the late '60s and '70s , every Friday night my Okinawan Master, I spent the class jiyu kumite , that was fantastic !
what happens now ? this is a new Karate ? without a fight ?
Mmmm .... more and more away from the roots and reality ? ? ? ?
and I believe that the laws and responsibilities , see MMA and other fighting arts make your workouts with proper care and with adequate protections , we could train our jiyu kumite without such problems . I said no because a beautiful part of our style we're leaving out of our workout routine ? ?

español:
he estado visitando, estos ultimos años muchos Dojos, de diferentes grupos de Uechi Ryu Karate, y veo con asombro, como se ha abandonado, casi completamente, en las clases de adultos y de avanzados, la practica de Jiyu Kumite
Alguno de ustedes tiene una explicacion de porque esto sucede?
siempre escuche que el kata y el Kumite estaban intimamente relacionados !!
tambien recuerdo a finales de los ´60 y en los 70, cada viernes en la noche, mi Maestro okinawense, dedicaba la clase a jiyu kumite, eso era fantastico !!!
que pasa ahora?? este es un nuevo Karate? sin combate?
Mmmm.... cada vez mas lejos de las raices y de la realidad????????
y no creo eso de las leyes y las responsabilidades, veo MMA y otras artes realizar combates en sus entrenamientos, con los debidos cuidados y con protecciones adecuadas, podriamos entrenar nuestro jiyu kumite sin problemas de este tipo. alguno me explica porque una parte preciosa de nuestro estilo la estamos dejando fuera de nuestra rutina de entrenamiento ???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:05 pm 

I've been visiting these last years many dojos , different groups of Uechi Ryu Karate , and watch in amazement , as has been abandoned almost entirely on adult classes and advanced , the practice of Jiyu Kumite
Any of you have an explanation of why this happens?
always listen to the kata and kumite were intimately related !
also remember the late '60s and '70s , every Friday night my Okinawan Master, I spent the class jiyu kumite , that was fantastic !
what happens now ? this is a new Karate ? without a fight ?
Mmmm .... more and more away from the roots and reality ? ? ? ?
and I believe that the laws and responsibilities , see MMA and other fighting arts make your workouts with proper care and with adequate protections , we could train our jiyu kumite without such problems . I said no because a beautiful part of our style we're leaving out of our workout routine ? ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 pm 

Hi Carlos,

Good questions, hard to answer...everyone will have a different opinion.

As you said, in the sixties and seventies, free style sparring was common in Uechi karate classes, without safety equipment. At sensei Mattson's dojo in Boston, we had sparring at the end of each class, plus the 'Wednesday's nights at the fights' when students of different styles would show up by invitation.

Lots of people got pretty banged up and we also had some serious injuries, but those were different times.

Today we have senseis who don't believe free sparring is useful...that prearranged kumite and bunkai is all a student needs to develop defensive capabilities. Some also feel that free sparring develops bad habits.

We also have the problem of potential liability, insurance coverage and the expense of having to buy protective equipment.

Surely other people will have many more reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:14 pm 

8O 8O 8O jajajajajajajjajajaja !!

Decir Karate okinawense sin Kumite, es como decir , helado caliente !!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Say no Okinawan Karate-Kumite Jiyu, is like saying hot cream!

por otra parte, alguno piensa que el bunkai o el kyu Dan kumite va a salvar su culo contra un salvaje de la calle ??? entonces que corra a comprar un seguro de vida, asi por lo menos su esposa queda con algo de dinero !!!