Second Star to the Right, and Straight on till Morning

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Second Star to the Right, and Straight on till Morning

Postby Jason Rees » Tue May 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Big changes are afoot for me. Almost two years ago they changed the High Year Tenure rules for Staff Sergeant, E-5 in the Air Force. Since then, I failed to climb out of my career stall, and didn't make the next rank up. So here I find myself with eighteen years of service in the military, and I'm being pushed out the door. I won't deny a small measure of anger and bitterness, but I have many things to be thankful for, including an intact marriage and four awesome kids.

I have not found a job warranting us staying in Alaska, so we're off to the lower-48, and since I haven't found any job in particular, I have no idea where we'll end up. Our preference would be a state which respects our Second Amendment rights to our firearms and our ability to secure our persons, and our right to homeschool our children. That's our preference, but I'm cognizant that reality can be pretty disrespectful towards preference. We will end up wherever the job trail takes us.

I've been applying to VA hospital jobs, where the benefits make up for lower pay, and remote medical jobs, such as oil rigs, where the pay would make up for lacking benefits. My goal would be to finish up my paramedic, making me more eligible for remote medic work. I can't deny I'm not quite ready to settle down yet, but I need to make sure my family is secure before I go gallivanting around the world. That said, I'm not beyond picking up a different career track. It wouldn't be the first time for me. In fact, I'm on my third now.

Anyway, we'll be criss-crossing the country on our way east, stopping in Montana, Colorado, Nebraska, and so forth. Maybe I'll get a chance to finally meet some of you. I've enjoyed discussions here greatly over the years. May they continue for many more.

(In keeping with Van's topics, travel security tips welcome)
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Re: Second Star to the Right, and Straight on till Morning

Postby fivedragons » Wed May 07, 2014 2:13 am

I hope you still get a pension.
fivedragons

Postby Van Canna » Wed May 07, 2014 12:45 pm

Wishing you the best of luck my friend. The military can no longer be relied upon these days to be fair.

You may like these tips...http://www.sans.edu/research/security-m ... ravel-tips
Van
Van Canna

Postby Jason Rees » Thu May 08, 2014 11:16 pm

FD, nope, no pension. I get 'severance pay.'

Thanks, Van. For the sentiments and the resource. :D
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 09, 2014 4:16 am

Do you need 20 years for a pension?

Anyway...moving forward...I'm sure you will do well...keep us posted...you are a good friend, Jason.
Van
Van Canna

Postby fivedragons » Fri May 09, 2014 4:23 am

The company I work for froze the pension before I was vested. Now that they have made the highest tier of profit for two years in a row, they are trying to do away with profit sharing. There is no wisdom in large organizations. Forward movement, enjoy the game.
fivedragons

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 09, 2014 4:32 am

They all seem to have gone down the same path Sean...bunch of bastards.
Van
Van Canna

Postby fivedragons » Fri May 09, 2014 4:36 am

Yep. The fat cats and the sneaky rats. :roll:
fivedragons

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 09, 2014 4:52 am

fivedragons wrote:Yep. The fat cats and the sneaky rats. :roll:

Van
Van Canna

Postby Jason Rees » Fri May 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Van Canna wrote:Do you need 20 years for a pension?

Anyway...moving forward...I'm sure you will do well...keep us posted...you are a good friend, Jason.

20 for full retirement w/ pension and health benefits. What's killing me is that they're offering 15-year early retirements, but I don't qualify because I am already identified for separation due to HYT. I may go ANG to prevent being called back to active duty. I was obligated to sign for three years inactive reserve, or I wouldn't get my severance pay. After two years, they take a pay grade, so theoretically they could call me back to active duty as an E-4 in two-and-a-half years, with no possibility of increase in rank, for an indefinite time period due to stop-loss. Nuts.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Postby jorvik » Fri May 09, 2014 6:40 pm

My wife is a nurse in the UK. Many of her colleagues are from Africa,the phillipines or India.They tell her that they move around a lot taking jobs in Saudi Arabia, Abu Dabhi etc.......and they make a great deal of money. One of her colleagues ine the UK has a house in England and one in GOA where her parents live, with servants and many rooms, which she and her husband pay for.
It may be worth your while to try and land a contract in the united arab emirates or thereabouts, they pay huge tax free salaries , or at least they used to...worth a look though.
jorvik

Postby Jason Rees » Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Jorvik,

I've been looking into that. I need to get my paramedic finished. Then, with a few certifications, I'd be able to do something like that.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Postby jorvik » Fri May 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Best of luck with it. I was quite surprised to find out how international nursing/medicine is and you can make a lot of money in a few years ...............or alternatively in many European countries there is a nice standard of living with no worry about getting medical cover, so that's worth a thought as well. Really you have quite a few good options.
jorvik

Postby cxt » Mon May 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Jason

I wish you good luck.....not that you will need it.

Sorry to hear about the "up or out." The military needs to take a hard look at that policy.
Forget #6, you are now serving nonsense.

HH
cxt

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities