Hot Yoga Burned Calories

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

hsagor02

Hot Yoga Burned Calories

Post by hsagor02 »

Hot yoga may allow you to burn a significant number of calories, but it also has several other benefits, some of which are difficult to measure. In addition to promoting flexibility and core strength, hot yoga can help you reduce stress and manage chronic conditions such as high blood pressure and cholesterol. Losing weight is often a priority among exercisers, but there are superior exercises to hot yoga for burning calories. Still, the physical benefits of the practice may be outweighed by the mental and emotional satisfaction that comes with regular participation in Bikram.
Bill Glasheen

Re: Hot Yoga Burned Calories

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Not sure if this is just spam, but no worries.

I've had some of my best workouts back in the day when the gyms at W&M and UVa weren't air conditioned. One summer day in particular at UVa was a day when I first hit bottom on a lateral split. The biggest problem is the sweat. It makes the floor very slippery, and has its hygiene issues.

Calorie burning through high temperature is another issue altogether. I don't recommend it. It's too easy to get dehydrated and get into electrolyte issues. Plus lost water weight most definitely is not lost weight. The best calorie burning exercise in fact is cross country skiing, as part of the burning comes from your body fighting to keep warm. Another method not taken into account by the aerobics crowd is weight training. It isn't the exercise per se; it's the increased basal metabolic rate that follows an increase in muscle mass. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest.

This is just another way to do yoga, and not a bad approach. It's particularly good for people who are afraid of pulling muscles. It can be a good compliment to martial training, like a number of other cross training methods.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”