Explosive Karate topics

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Explosive Karate topics

Post by Art Rabesa »

Regarding the topics from my book "Explosive Karate". I posted these 6 years ago. I haven't changed my views or training on any of the segments listed. However, my website covers all areas in more detail. I hope you all visit my site and check it out. Thanks Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Explosive Karate topics

Post by Art Rabesa »

I hope those of you that are running dojo's , are covering the needed details. A well rounded curriculum will produce well rounded students. Are you missing an element in your teaching needed for the advancement of the students? I hope I can help you with that. That is one of the reasons I did my web site. I covered a lot of material that can enhance the level of awareness in your students. It can also help you put forth a well rounded uechi ryu curriculum. Run around the uechi ryu wheel on the site and add them to your classes. I'm pretty sure it will beef up your training sessions. ---www.artrabesauechiryu.com -------- Happy Trails ------ Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

There are some things that seem to have disappeared or diminished from the curriculum over the years. Things I remember doing and teaching many years ago. How many remember kumite 2? Very few dojo's still teach this one. As a matter of fact, kyu kumite is not taught much either. There was a drill called the 8 form that seems to have vanished. This was great for ending the class on a good level.It could involve everyone in class because each student had to come up with a different movement as the 8 form went from one person to the next. It was also a good cardio drill. If you had a good size group, this 8 form could go for some time. Remember these? -----Happy Trails ------- Art
Art Rabesa
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Still working all these kumite although as I age I often start doing kumite #2 and somehow end up finishing it as kyu kumite. I hate them(more stuff to remember) but at same time like them. Working them intight so forearms (not wrist) redirect enhances the drills as a teaching tool. New students tend to redirect incoming punches with the wrist area therefore it`s an opportunity to correct distancing and timing. Last week I found myself doing the same mistake while working the simplist one of all...kumite #3 :roll:
Léo
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Hi Leo ----- Prearranged kumites play a big role in my teaching. They serve a few important areas. When done tight, it brings a different look to your body mechanics. It also fills in as a conditioning drill, because your arms and legs need to be conditioned to do it this way. Check out my web site on this. www.artrabesauechikarate ----click on blocking and two person sets, This will clear things up. Happy Trails-------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

One of the most important things I teach is moving in "one piece". I teach it right out of the gate. When it is time to teach the blocks , with the stepping, it is the time to begin teaching moving in one piece. The most important aspect is for the new students to begin to feel the difference in their power. This comes from them stepping, and blocking. Then work them on finishing that block on the step. To move in one piece means that your movement starts and ends at the same time. The students will feel the difference between blocking just with their arm, and using the entire body. Then have them begin to move and punch. Work them to end that punch as the forward foot plants. Have them simply strike the bag with their arm. Feeling the difference is very important. later in their training, introduce blocking the attack moving into it. This is graduation. Now they will really get to know the importance of "moving in one piece". Take the teaching of this slowly. The result will be a student that can really explode into their movements. Watch how their kata starts popping. ------Happy Trails--------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

It is Sunday AM here on Cape Cod. Temps at 41. Not bad for Dec. Windy as hell though. Let me get out there and tackle those hills. There are lots of hills behind my house. It's called North Hill for a reason. I do this walk every morning. I don't like using my treadmill. When it's in the teens and snow and ice are everywhere, I wimp out and jump on the treadmill. The hills really get your attention. Why does it seem that I'm always going up hill? There are sections of my route, that have no homes. I like to work my thrusts and the pulling of the back leg when going up hill. I make sure no one can see me doing this. The neighborhood watch would call the police reporting some guy walking around high on something. It takes about 45 minutes to complete the route. I always feel real good walking up my driveway when finished. Nothing here in the way of an "Explosive Karate" topic. However, this is something that enables me to continue to be considered explosive. Gotta keep moving man. Have another birthday coming in a few days. I'll make sure I'm outside walking those hills that day. Happy Birthday Baby! ------Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Explosive Karate topics - Storm

Post by Art Rabesa »

It's Jan. 28 and 10 degrees with a wind chill at -3 here on old Cape Cod. My truck is buried in snow. We got hit pretty good the last 36 hours. Now I'm looking at hours of shoveling just to get my car and truck out. Got an email from Van Canna warning me about shoveling snow. He knows I'm a little crazy at times. No walking today, but I'm going to get a hellava workout outside. As my mother would say ,"Your going to have a good tired". So - if you are now in a warm section of the country I'm glad for you. Here in New England, this is par for the course. OK - let me get this white stuff moved so I can get down my driveway and walk. My good friend Jim Maloney lives in Nova Scotia. I'm sure he has the same situation I have here. He probably is getting around on dog sled. Springs coming. ----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”