DSL & other misc items

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Dakkon

DSL & other misc items

Post by Dakkon »

George (and Allen),
Change the swap file over to another differnt partion. Leave it the same size just change it from c: to like d: or something. This is all based on the system still being made up of 4 small partions.
If it's been redone to 1 big one and this is happening I'd start looking at device drivers and maybe the BIOS even.
Granted Allen has the fastest and easiest method of fixing it Image

Chuck
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

Hi tony:
The Flashcom people gave me the MS site to check on speed when I complained about it being slow. Today I pulled:

668.9 kbps and 82 k bytes/sec.

Still seems slow

Beginning to think I have hardware problems. Lockups becoming a real frustration. I'll check out the sites you referenced earlier to see if more light can be shed on the problem. Can't believe any conflicts are responsible, since I disconnected all devices

------------------
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

Al installed a new drive (1.3GB) and we are using it for virtual memory. Shows 687MB being available.

------------------
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

Al installed a new drive (1.3GB) and we are using it for virtual memory. Shows 687MB being available.

------------------
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

Getting fewer hangups. Norton 2000 found lots of problems which it corrected as well, which may have helped. Will keep you posted.

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

I threw some Caviar (1.6 Gig) into GEM's machine on Saturday and put his swapfile onto the new hard disk to give him more speed.

His primary drive is a 6.something Maxtor, not the 2gigger I originally though it was. However his c drive was previously stuffed, probably giving his swapfile some heartburn before Saturday, although when I went there he was still having lockups even though his swapfile had plenty of headroom. I'll rule-out the swapfile as being the culprit.

One thing that bugged me, though, is right after I installed the new hard drive the machine locked up before the os was activated while the BIOS was still doing its thing. A reboot cleared that problem out, and a little while later while I was given a demonstration of the speed of his new modem, his system hung again.

If Norton keeps reporting errors, and he keeps correcting them, then maybe his primary drive is sick. We need more info on the types of errors as Tony suggests.

I mentioned to GEM on Saturday that I was suspicious of RAM, but that is a difficult problem to detect, esp. if it's intermittent, and he's without detection devices. A good thing to do, George, is to unplug all your memory, then reseat it.

George, were you having problems before you hung that little doo-hickey off your parallel port?

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 12-14-99).]
Gene DeMambro

DSL & other misc items

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Speaking of things already here...

After last year's tourny, AL Moulton was lamenting a technical snafu/limitation with his video camera. He also mentioned that maybe "next" year, video cameras will write directly to CD-ROMS. Well, if you're listening Al, they have arrived! Either HP or Sony just released them at this years COMDEX in Vegas. A techno whiz like yourself might be able to tell if it's a go or a no-go.

Add another line to the Christmas list!

Gene
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

Thanks Gene.

Lately Best Buy in Braintree has been carying a Sony with a built-in firewire to attach directly to a similarly equipped camcorder (such as the one I was toting looking for a place to plug in to). All these things are usually a "go", especially with PCs approaching the 1GHz range (2000), and promises to go to 2GHz following, and new high-speed busses to boot.

Another thing I got wind of the other day is a writeable DVD! That's hot.

Close your eyes for 5 minutes, Gene, and it's a whole new world out there.

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

DSL & other misc items

Post by gmattson »

After using Norton2000 to clean up over 90 various problems, (I didn't keep a record of the errors) my computer seems to be functioning normally. Although I did experience two lockups two days ago, they were the last.

Some of the problems resulted with the new drive, which assumed the 'd' drive position. My old 'd' drive programs were pushed to 'e' drive. Many of the errors were programs looking for links in the wrong drive. After moving everything to the new 'd' drive, all programs worked.

Al: I was experiencing problems prior to my installing the card reader off the parallel port.

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

DSL & other misc items

Post by Allen M. »

USB hard drives are already here.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”