The Dark Side of being a Good Sumaratan

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

I witnessed first hand Joe Pomfret's knock out of his opponent and my best guess was that this guy was out for at least ten minutes.

This was in despite the fact that he was attended to by two professional EMT's.

The EMT's were from a professional ambulance company and were of course insured.

What made me think more about this subject was a thread published by Evan Pantazi, sensei, in the forums, of how he had revived a knocked out contestant and had to even hesitate for a second on whether or not to revive this person for fear of being sued for negligence in the event that the contestant did not recover so well and was prompted to sue the world. Evan should be given a medal but in his mind he had to make the unfortunate decision of being given cudos and accolades or served with a writ.
It was quite obvious that he observed the true values instilled in the healing aspect of martial arts.

Nurses and doctors are faced with this problem in treating accident victims, but at least have some immunity.

Let us say that a healing MA did attend a fallen contestant, and the outcome was not so good even after revival treatment.

You could be sure that everyone associated in the event would be sued. Liability is another matter but would require each defendant in a suit to pay for legal representation unless covered by an insurance policy or some umbrella policy wherein such action was required to be defended by the insurance company. Even if covered, if the suit were for an amount in excess of the policy limits, then the insurer would adives the insured to get separate counsel for the overage.

It took years for medical and nursing people to get some sort of immunity for treating victims on scene. How would MA's, who know enough about revival and to make a difference between death and permanent injury, get sood sumaratan laws passed.
The answer my friends is in lobbying, which is an extremely expensive way to go.

Lobbying is not wining and dining leglslators for special interest, although that is part of it. It is for an informed proponent of a bill to educate legislators what it is all about. Most of the legislator's are not aware of the meaning of "healing arts" as a definition within martial arts. They would think Kyusho is a selection on a Japanese menu.

But the risk is rare and the rewards must be tremendous for the person peforming the healing; and healing art being one of the finest examples of what was orginally taught in the Taoist and Shaolin Temples.

I feel better as a spectator, knowing such people are present and appreciate their fear, and salute their humanatarianism.

Alan K
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

It is very important for people to understand the Good Samaritan laws in their jurisductions.

Massachusetts has a Good Samamritan law. But...

Only Doctors and Nurses are covered in the statute. No other person, health care professional or not, is protected.

Gene

[This message has been edited by Gene DeMambro (edited May 31, 2001).]

Return to “Realist Training”