A Call to Samurai

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Asura

A Call to Samurai

Post by Asura »

Greetings..

I am new to the basic web/forum thing all around, save for my occasional fight on a video game or something.....so I will do my best to present my problem. I have lived in the Kyoto District for most of my life, I am now 26 and will be moving to the states, Nashville to be specific. I have recently become a samurai, trained by a friend of my father's. I now wear both the blades that he owned, passed down for many generations. I hold close to the ties of bushido and have had them instilled into me. I was suggested to consult the web, or a forum and see if I could find out some information.

1. Does anyone know the rules on the weapons on airlines now..?..namely bladed weapons...

2. Those of you who are samurai in the states, I take it you do not carry your swords on your person, so how do you deal with that aspect of bushido...I was taught that the swords are never to leave one's side..for to do so..would strip the samurai of his soul..?

thank you for all your help

------------------
If you are not with your soul..the edge is not sharp..if you do not follow your mind..the blade will not cut..if you do not hold life and death close to your heart..then you will never live at all.
gmattson
Site Admin

A Call to Samurai

Post by gmattson »

Asura:

Please tell us what test/training you performed to become a modern samurai? Who was your teacher?

An honest-to-god modern samurai. I'm impressed! Image
Alan K

A Call to Samurai

Post by Alan K »

Asura sama:

I am indeed impressed with your command of the English language and welcome you to this forum.

I also am quite interested in your credentials and training and echo the words of Gmattson, sensei's request for your background and history.

If you have viewed these forums you should be impressed with the variety of subject matter and knowledge of the moderators and contributors.

As for this forum dealing with the law, I can assure you that you will not be allowed to carry on your person any katana or other edged weapon into the airport and you could be arrested on the spot.

I am sure that you are quite aware of the extent of security in airports these days.

The law dealing with weapons carrying, which blades or weapons are by statute or regulation, are prohibited and under what circumstances samuarai swords or knives may be transported differ from state to state.

I do believe that we have one acitve member of these forums from Tennessee who might be aware of laws in that state. Since Nashville is the Capital of Tennessee, here is a telephone number for state information (615) 741-3011 Web site: www.state.tn.us

Alan K
LeeDarrow

A Call to Samurai

Post by LeeDarrow »

Asura-sama,

Very interesting that the Japanese police would allow you to wear the Daisho on the street when there are very specific laws prohibiting such, except at certain ceremonial occasions. No flame here, just amazement as the Japanese police forces are very good at what they do and take their laws very seriously.

As to transporting the swords from Japan, if they are Japanese historical blades, you will have a really tough time getting them out of the country due to the, I believe it's called Antiquities Act, which basically declared all such blades to be National Treasures. Check with both the American Counsulate for Duty and Import certificates and the Japanese Foreign Office for clearances on that.

Airlines - they will probably require you to ship the weapons in sealed containers as part of your check through luggage IF they allow you to take them on the plane at all. They may require you to ship them separately.

US Customs will want a lot of information about the blades, proof of ownership, import permissions, duty information and will undoubtedly charge you a duty fee for the blades. If they are antiques, there are all sorts of separate hoops to jump through as well, from what I understand. Check with the Customs office at the American Consulate for information on how to do this the easiest way.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
mikemurphy

A Call to Samurai

Post by mikemurphy »

Asura,

I'm going to try not to sound disrespectful here, but I'm kind of baffled by this post.

First of all, are you telling us that you have become a "Samurai" recently and that you are of American decent? I'd have to check of course, but I thought Samurai "status" traditionally was hereditary; you didn't earn it, but were born into it (or course you would have to train). I have never heard of a foreigner being "adopted" to that status. If that were the practice, why wouldn't people like Donn Draeger (sp?), etc. given the samurai title.

Secondly, you were allowed to wear your swords in the Kyoto district? Are these real swords? Like Lee, I have never heard of the Japanese government allowing this to occur unless it were for ceremonial reasons. Do you live in such an area where there is no local law enforcement?

Lastly, your parents, who you state are from the United States, should have told you that it would be impossible to wear swords such as the samurai of old in downtown USA. Even if they haven't/didn't, you should have known this, unless you have been out of the loop for your 26 years, and I don't think that is the case where you are using a computer and have found the Internet.

Please excuse my forwardness concerning your post, but it does seem rather wierd from our perspective here.

Thanks,

mike
Scott Danziger

A Call to Samurai

Post by Scott Danziger »

I'll be foward.

If you wear those things in the states, especially NY, you will be shot. Then you will be asked why you were wearing them in public.

Second, I think you are full of ****! And I also believe I know who you are (again!)

Give it up! Tell your fantasies somewhere else!
Asura

A Call to Samurai

Post by Asura »

Well, I was born from American parents in Kyoto district..I was more or less a military brat. I grew up with a a friend of my fathers, named Kendall Ayar, who was also being taught Kendo and Iaido by my future Sensei Hanzi Miramoto. He isnt famous or anything from that I know of, no books have been written of him, or anything of that sort, but he can trace his ancestors and his training methods back several generations. His Great Great Grandfather was a retainer in the Miramoto family, and was a trainer of samurai then as well.

I started training when I was 7, actually going through my gempukku, and being given a name by Sensei Hanzi's grandfather. Genjuro, which I found out was a samurai had been trained by his grandfather and was a rather bullheaded fellow from what I have found out. ((he is also the name of one of the samurai showdown characters, I found that out later))

I trained with him most of my life, attending school some, but eventually being home taught.((I trained under both Kendall and Sensei Hanzi)) I was taught Iaido and Kendo, more or less grasping Kendo more than Iaido, and when I was 25, I took the the test, which consisted more or less..of me trying to beat my sensei. I was able to do just that, he smiled, presented me with his swords, that had been passed down, while Kendall was given the Armor and the Daishi that Sensei's Great Grandfather had worn.

I am going to be moving to Nashville to hopefully continue my education in the states, and go from there. I wanted to know what I was going to have to do to bring the swords with me. While I was in Japan, I wore them on my person, as best as I could, I did get my share of stares, mostly by tourists.

I was told to search online to see if I could gather enough information, sadly, it is lacking on the web, so I searched out a forum, and found yours. I have read most of the posts in here, and you are right..it is very impressive..it is good to find martial artists who one can talk with, either as allies or as opponents..

It is sad to hear what you told me though, I value my swords and wish to not dishonor them by having them seperated. Do you know who I can call or found out more information, other than the site you have listed? Are there other sites I could search for information on if there are other samurai here in the states?

Thanks

------------------
If you are not with your soul..the edge is not sharp..if you do not follow your mind..the blade will not cut..if you do not hold life and death close to your heart..then you will never live at all.
Asura

A Call to Samurai

Post by Asura »

I will take each one, as I think I need to make myself clearer, like kendall says.

I am not samurai by heritage..only by I guess you could say title, Sensei Hanzi is my godfather you could say...I do not know what that rules on, as I am not fully aware..as I tell Kendall..I am just the one that swings the sword..I would guess that makes me more or less a hemin that knows how to swing a sword, or at the most a ronin, another question to be answered I hope by all of you.

I do not wear the blades on my person, I have them in a bag, a leather bag that I carry like a gym bag , they are in full sight, and I have been stopped by the japanese police several times. I ussually handed them a folder of papers, papers that I found out were documentation, that my sensei was applying for the swords to be registered as antiquities. I was ussually searched and then given the papers back and let go. Public for me was ussually to the dojo and back. I stayed at the house most of the time, save for my recent visits to where I write this forum..that being a cybercafe. A place I am liking...

Mr Alan, I contacted that place, and you were right, I will have alot of paperwork waiting for me should I choose to do so, and I was also told that all the states carry the same policy.. ..thanks for your help.

Mr Darrow, you were right as well, when I called the Information number like Mr. Alan suggested, I was told that the chances that if the swords were indeed renewed as antiquities, that I probably would not be allowed to carry them to the states, which presents a problem to me as well..

I never wore my swords in the kyoto district, not the formal way, though I did carry them, I was not allowed into any of the temples unless I left them with a monk that would then give them back to me after I left.

My parents had told me, but I was going to check on my own, I guess I should listen to my elders more..another flaw of me I guess, my dad had said that maybe there may have been some license..such as those used by ones who carry firearms, but he didnt know, I guess that is what I am truly looking for..

Danziger, I do not mean any disrespect in any way, I am truly just looking for information. And I think you do have me mixed up with someone...

I hope I answered all your questions, I truly hope they do, though I still think I probably made more questions than answers, I truly do appreciate all your help.
Asura

A Call to Samurai

Post by Asura »

oh..one more thing...Kendall said that if you wish to have him list the ancestry he can do that.
Scott Danziger

A Call to Samurai

Post by Scott Danziger »

Asura,

If what you are saying is honest and true, then of course I must apologize.

I will admit I have trouble believing you because of the weird coincidences you may have come into and you don't realize it (if you are being honest and true).

Please allow me to explain....

A while back we had some clown come to our forums and babble a lot of bull****. He was a major nuisance and a troublemaker. We banned him but he kept returning under different names. One of which is 2 letters different than the one you are using. Also, the email addresses he was using all came from the same company you are also using.

Hmmmm.

Now you say you are an American, over 19, a military brat still living in Japan. Did you become a Japanese citizen? Is your parent/parents still in the military still based in Japan? (No transfers ever?) And are you still a dependent in your mid 20's?

Then you claim to have become a samurai? Sounds like a B movie called American Samurai I, II, and III. I saw those movies. They sucked.

Can you see why I am skeptical?

I guess anything is possible. I don't know everything in the world. However, until otherwise instructed by the seniors of this community, I will give you benefit of the doubt.

So again, IF what you are saying is actually true and honest, then I deeply apologize.

Scott
Asura

A Call to Samurai

Post by Asura »

Ugh this is early...

Ah well...

Scott, I assure you I am not this person, I am truly looking for some information..

My parents were born in the states, and were transferred to Japan. They have been transferred to several places, but have a permenant home here in Kyoto. ((rather outside of it anyway)) I live in an apartment between the dojo and them, so I am close enough if I need them, but far enough to keep them at bay...

By all accounts, I am a japanese citizen, since I was born in tokyo.

I dont see myself as dependant, but I do ask for money every now and then...when I am not training or being schooled, I work at a library about 2 miles from my apartment, everything is nice and close...its not alot of money, only about 20-30 yen, not alot really, but enough to give me the occasional buy or something, esp to support my video game habit. I have been thinking about moving close to the base my dad trains at and getting one of the apartments near there, I hear they are cheaper...dont know yet..

If you want to know where I live now and such, let me know and I will find a map and show you. I am pretty sure one of my other more techonolgy based friends here can find one or something..

thanks
Alan K

A Call to Samurai

Post by Alan K »

Asura -sama

Some of the replies you have read here were posted by very worthy and reputable sensei and all posts were made by persons well educated in Martial Arts, and perhaps you can enhance your credibility, by offering more of the historical background of your studies, in Iado and Kendo. I believe that Kendo was a study taught in college ciriculum.

I think that you may get a great deal more information on these forums if you can establish a better documented history.

No one writing in these forums intends any disrespect, and a new face in the martial arts you espouse would be welcomed by all.

One avenue of approach might be through your father's contact with the military as a method of transporting your blades with legal status.

Alan K
In any event,

A Call to Samurai

Post by Guest »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Asura:

I work at a library about 2 miles from my apartment, everything is nice and close...its not alot of money, only about 20-30 yen, not alot really, but enough to give me the occasional buy or something, esp to support my video game habit. I have been thinking about moving close to the base my dad trains at and getting one of the apartments near there, I hear they are cheaper...dont know yet..

20 to 30 yen.....is this apartment rent?
20 to 30 yen.....is this a pay check?

are we having fun yet?

Laird
gmattson
Site Admin

A Call to Samurai

Post by gmattson »

Yes, the yen doesn't go as far today as it did 200 years ago.

------------------
GEM
LeeDarrow

A Call to Samurai

Post by LeeDarrow »

On Friday last, the exchange rate of the Japanese Yen to the dollar was approximately 167 Yen to the dollar.

I don't know of ANYONE who can live on less than 25 cents a week! Especially in Japan, where a Big Mac is four DOLLARS (668 Yen)!

I am geting the feeling that either a serious typo happened or something else is going on.

No offense, Asura, but your finances are simply not possible.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.

Return to “Realist Training”