Leadership

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Rick Wilson

Leadership

Post by Rick Wilson »

New forum formats! New forums! The growth of the connection formed on the web hosted by Sensei Mattson continues. I would like to take a moment to address an issue that we often pass over and take too lightly.

I was discussing rank with my students the other day. When discussing the higher levels I told them that, while the ability to perform our art is always a factor, there are other considerations that come into play. What have these individuals given back to the art that they have received so much from?

I think that in North America we have been led by example. Sensei Mattson brought Uechi Ryu to North America and through his students it spread. With so much accomplished you would think it was enough. But then the camps came (which I have vowed to attend from now on). Martial artists could gather and learn. Not just from Uechi Ryu but from other styles.

Then came the internet. A means of communication that shrunk the world as the telegraph once did. And who is leading the way in promoting discussion and the advancement of knowledge in our art through this new technology? Sensei George Mattson.

If anyone ever wants to learn what it takes to achieve the highest ranks in our style they need not look far.

I would like to thank Sensei Mattson, not only for hosting these new forum format and his web site, but for his leadership by example. He continues to expand our horizons.

With the deepest respect,

Rick
david

Leadership

Post by david »

Rick,

Well said.

david
Scott Danziger

Leadership

Post by Scott Danziger »

I'd like to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th that. It was because of this website that I began practicing again at all. Though not "yet" with a dojo, I practice 3-4 times a week, use the Uechiryu Karate Do book, black belt guide and Sanchin video (#17) quite often. This forum alone and with the help of some superb seniors (of whom I have even yet to meet) have been a great help. It's no wonder that uechi-ryu.com is the most visited martial arts website on the internet. The quality of ones work is reflected through the quality of the person.
Thank You Sensei Mattson for your hard work and dedication to Uechi ryu and the martial arts that help spread it's positive image, influence, and Knowledge.!

Thank You Sensei Glasheen for answering not only my own questions but everyone elses as well. I (and others) learn from them all.

Thank You Sensei Van Canna for scaring the $#!t out of me with your realities forum. It is a most important lesson that we realize the difference between REAL LIFE and Fantasy self defense.

Thank You Anthony for your hard work getting these forums to gel.

And to all the other great people here (I can't start naming everybody). I only learn, even when negative forces occasionally flow through.

Sorry if this sounds a bit sappy but I do mean it from the heart.

Scott

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”