Lost time

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gene DeMambro

Lost time

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Howdy!

When I was growing up, I wanted to take karate. I saw all the Bruce Lee films, heard all the fanciful stories, and became entranced by the whole mysticism of it all. Howwever, Dad kept saying no.

Fast forward to college. I had visited a few schools, observed classes and even filled out a registration form. However, this time Mom said no(with good reason-we had to hospitalize her).

Fast forward to the past few years. I finished school and have a wicked good job, even if the hours are for the birds (I'm a pharmacist). I starting taking karate and jujitsu in 1995, and will (knock on wood) test for Uechi-Ryu shodan in 1999. Mom is doing well (here health problems have passed). She also adminishes me for not going to karate class when I don't go. She even proudly displays my Jujitsu shodan certificate (even if she initially wanted to place it in the hallway leading to the bathroom).

The question is: The time between me being 10 y.o.and first wanting to take M.A. classes and the time I started is considerable (14 years). How do I make up for lost time?

Gene
Jason Bernard

Lost time

Post by Jason Bernard »

Student "Master, how long does it take to become a master?"

Master "If you train hard it will take 10 years."

Student "Master, I am willing to train twice as hard, how long then?"

Master "In that case it will take 20 years."

Personally, I don't think there is anyway to make up for "lost" time. Always train as hard as you can and be true to the martial way and tradition. I find my greatest achievements (martial or not) often come when I just let them come.

Okay, technically I suppose if you quit your job and train in martial arts as a profession you could make up "lost" time relative to other people who keep working and train with less frequently, but even the I wonder whether you would be internally sabotaged because of the intent??? I can't answer that.

Anyway, if you are putting in 100% to your martial studies you can't put 110% (100% by definition is all you got) ... either you are doing everything you can along the journey or you aren't. If you aren't what are you waiting for? Image (joke, Shihan Salter used to say this to us all the time ... doing pushups, you slow down he say "Jason, wait you waiting for?" ... anyway, sorry for the tangent). If you are then just let it all come.

Another stray thought... it sounds to me like you might be concerned that you could be doing more. If that is the case, and only you know, that requires you to look for areas where you could increase your level of training. I don't know if this applies to you but I find there are not enough martial artists who read about martial arts (people are too fixed on the in-dojo training). Maybe that is something you could pursue if you aren't already?

Osu!
Jason
moulton

Lost time

Post by moulton »

Gene, If you have had the spirit of karate in your soul all those years then you haven't lost any time. Just move forward. -- Allen
Bill Glasheen

Lost time

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This reminds me of the Cheshire cat. When asked which direction to go, he answers that it depends on where you want to end up.

Fast forward to me at 44. What I am doing in my martial arts at age 44 is different from what I was doing at 34, is different than 24, and is very different from what I did when I started at age 17. And I suspect if I'm still around and kicking at age 80 (bad pun, I know), then I will be doing something different again. And what I do with my training is different from what I would be doing if I still had my right lateral meniscus (a knee part). I don't, so...I do what I can with what I have.

The beauty of this art, for those who are mature and have learned to adapt, is that it means different things to different people, and it means different things to the same person at different times. And the "secret" of being a good karateka is learning good "process". At any one point in time, evaluate your abilities, strengths, weaknesses, age, limitations, gender, preferences, etc. Then work with what you have at that point in time. Develop the best training regimen you can given what you bring to the table. And be sure to reevaluate your goals with time. I do that about 4 times a year.

When the process is right, when you enjoy what you are doing, when you are giving it your best, then the outcome will be the best it can be. Forget yesterday. Forget what you don't have. Concentrate on where you are and what you CAN do.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”