Sanchin Demo idea

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

miked

Sanchin Demo idea

Post by miked »

Picture this.

Gymnasium full of spectators, MA's wandering the hallways complaning of lost points, bruises and poor judging. Out into the middle of the floor steps six (or eight or 10) Uechi BB's. Half face at a 45 degree angle to one side of the gym and half stand opposite to the first group at a 45 degree angle to the other side of the gym.

Simultaneously, the first group bows and steps into Sanchin, draws their arms up and await Sanchin "test". The second group moves into position in front of the first group and at each count simulatenously strikes the first group of BB's with similar techniqes test. The test would be just for the "front" (i.e. arms, abs, neck, thighs, etc.).

After finishing the test, the second group of BB's returns to their original starting place, enters into their Sanchin position and is then tested similarly by the 1st. group. At the end of the test the second group returns to their Sanchin position and then at each count all BB's move simulatenously towards each other through the kata until they reach each other. I am imaging that at this point, all of the BB's are aligned with each other, alternating in opposite directions, with enough space between the BB's to perform a turn without bumping into each other. On command all the BB's perform the turn. The second group of then smartly steps over to 1st group of BB's and on each count, simultaneously tests with similar strikes, the "traps". "lats", etc. of the 1st. group of BB's. The second group returns to the line, assumes the Sanchin position and the 1st. group of BB's "repeats the favor". The 1st. group returns to the line, reassumes the Sanchin position and then the groups move away from each other with each count. After a sufficent number of steps and strkes, all BB's turn and at this point the groups would be facing each other once again. On count, the BB's perform the three arm strikes, simulatneously move to the sides to and then back towards each other to perform the tiger strikes and then return to closed gate position and bow out the form.

Would this demo. be practical? Would it "look good"? Any input would be appreciated. Any other "creative" suggestions for performing a group Sanchin.
For the time being please let's leave aside inanimate object breaking (i.e. bats, boards, bricks, tiles, ice, etc.) as well as anything having to do with breaking inanimate obects over various portions of human anatomy. I harbor no hostility toward these objects so why would I want to attack and destroy them?

Thanks,

Mike
Bill Glasheen

Sanchin Demo idea

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Mike

I have to admit that I find this a bit difficult to picture. However there is an aspect of this that I like. Basically seeing the students "returning the favor" in a demonstration and having this done in group fashion makes it clear that this isn't gratuitous abuse. I'm always concerned about the impression we leave on folks when doing these demonstrations that - to some - look like nothing better than public beatings. I think the approach you suggest sufficiently avoids that impression.

In general I like creative choreography like this in a demo. If you ever get a chance to do this demo (or want to test it before going public) please send a tape.

Thanks
Bill
Lori

Sanchin Demo idea

Post by Lori »

Mike-san,

Sounds interesting - a sanchin demo is definitely a challenge. From a choreography standpoint - what about having the two lines facing the same direction, with a lead position and a "back point" thus avoiding the need for a count by using peripheral vision to stay together? Then before or after each turn the front line and the back line can alternate performing either a front or back check (or both - since both lines will alternate with the check) then return to their own line and continue the kata by following the lead positions when they begin the next move. They could end after closed gate by the front line turning around to the back line and performing a thank you bow, before bowing to the audience.

Just a random thought.

Peace,
Lori

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 03-08-99).]
miked

Sanchin Demo idea

Post by miked »

Bill,

Your point about beating on one another, perceived as abuse, is well taken. My understanding of a demo. is to capture attention and students. "Heavy" sanchin testing is probably a "turn-off" to most potential students, but this is just a guess on my part.

I may not have articulated my demo. idea in such a way as to engender the right type of mental imagery. Let me give it another shot.

I was envisioning a type of synchronized or 'team' kata which would be visually appealing and yet at the same time present the essence of Sanchin as practiced in our style. It is beautiful, to my eyes, to watch a group of highly trained BB's perform a synchronized group kata.

Let me see if I can rephrase my idea. While performing Sanchin, I would have two groups of black belts moving towards each other, then moving away from each other when they turn and then moving back towards each other after the last turn and then finishing the kata simultaneously.

During the midst of the perfomance the two groups of BB's would "trade off" to test each other's Sanchin. I would also have the testing synchronized with similar techniques.

Does this make any sense? If not, I won't be offended. I am just searching for various alternatives to the trite spectacles we've all come to see as demos.

This came to me while immersed in a warm jacuzzi under a perfectly blue L.A. sky with bright sunlight streaming down through the palm trees shimmering on the blue/green waters and red tile roofs. Gee, I hope a little snow didn't bother anyone on the other coast. Did it? (Hee Hee)

Does anyone have any other creative demo. ideas? Let's hear them. I am sure we could all profit from this type of exchange.

Back to sun and fun.

Mike
Bill Glasheen

Sanchin Demo idea

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Mike

Before they ever did "the wave" in stadiums, I used to do similar types of choreography in group kata for demos. When doing that flowery movement after the groin strikes, I would have the group (in a circular formation) "wave" the motion down the line one way, and then "wave" it the other way when doing it in the other direction.

Yes, I think the kind of asthetics you speak of are very appealing. It is remeniscent of some of the good march and rifle work you see done in polished military drill corp. What you speak of is appealing on many levels. And I meant my first comment as a compliment. Just one more layer of appreciation for what this could accomplish.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 03-08-99).]
miked

Sanchin Demo idea

Post by miked »

Lori,

I am having trouble understanding how you would handle the testing. If both lines are facing the same direction then it would be easy to test the "backs" since each line would be facing the back of the other line at least once during the performance. How would you handle the testing of the "front" for each line? Perhaps I don't have the imagery correct. Please assist.

Anthony, any suggestions as to how we can draw this choreography out using the keyboard?

Thank you,

Mike
miked

Sanchin Demo idea

Post by miked »

Bill,

I appreciate your compliment. This is just something that I am trying to work out in my head, should the chance ever arise to perform some sort of public demo. YOur "wave" idea sounds intriguing.

How about instead of having all of the BB's performing the sanchin strikes simultanously they perform all of the Sanchin strikes in the "wave" manner you suggested. Hmm, I'll have to think about that one.

Unfortunately, at my current dojo, there aren't enough currently active BB's to try out this idea. I'll test it out at the next West Coast Okikukai BB test/workout in May. If anyone else wants to give it a go, please feel free and let us all know how it turns out.

I would also like to encourage everyone to share any and all other creative demo. ideas.

All the best,

Mike
Lori

Sanchin Demo idea

Post by Lori »

Hi Mike,

I'll try to get the picture more into words - 2 lines - both bowing together and performing the opening moves together - then the back line breaks and walks up to the back of the front line and does the "back" check. They return and re-assume the opening stance. Both lines perform a prescribed number of strikes and steps. Then the front line turns around while the back line remains in position. The old front line then breaks position and walks to the back line and perfoms a "front and back" check. Then they return to their position. The back line then executes the turn and both lines perform another set of strikes and steps. Then the new front line turns first while the back line holds position and have their "front" check. Then those checking return to position and those who were just checked execute their turn. The last set of strikes and checks end with the double strikes and step offs performed simultaneously.

I have never actually done a demo like that - the image just came to mind after reading your post and mixed with images of our dojo's "car wash" routine.

Sounds like the weather there is almost as nice as here - I'll contemplate your demo question further at our beach workout tomorrow...

Peace,
Lori

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”