Newsweek Article on MA for Fitness/Certification

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

To all: The 3/29 Newsweek has a nice article in the 'Health' section promoting martial arts as a great alternative to traditional health club stuff to achieve fitness, lose weight, maybe learn a skill.
TKD and Tai Bo were featured, but Tai Chi and Kung fu are mentioned.

What caught my eye was the paragraph on selection....... Good advice on being wary of '10th degree' blackbelts. But the author suggested that instuctors be certified by the American College of Sports Medicine, or an organization like the American Council on Exercise.

Where did this advice come from? Sounds good, but what do these groups know about martial arts instruction? Am I going to need a new teaching certificate?

Bill, George, JD, anybody?

------------------
Rich in Richmond on the James
Chris Long

Post by Chris Long »

Holy Smokes!!

I thought I was all over it getting "First Responder" certified! Seriously, we as a group ought to decide what we want our instructors certified in as a minimum. Then we can put all kinds of fancy initials behind our names, and look cool to everybody (er - I mean provide a better, more standardized service to our customers...) God knows I hate regulation from above, but it just might be in our best interests if Bill or even GEM sanctioned some kind of dream list for dojo qualifications with a couple year lead-in for all of us to get the proper stamps on our visas.

I certainly don't agree with this trend in our society, but being a pariah doesn't make you right. It used to be that a teaching certificate was enough. But insurance needs, public expectations, and common sense do have at least limited appeal to my (limited) sensibilities. Our style is too valuable to get lost in the squeeze of modern (lawsuit) times. Some kind of affiliation/accredidation (spelling?) would probably be a good idea to look into for the future.

Oops, sorry for crowding you on the box, JD.

Chris Long
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Mattson sensei does have a certification process, not completely formalized as yet. On my wall hangs a 1999 stamped, signed and sealed Uechi-ryu Karate Association cerificate. Talk to George about the process of getting certified.

Earlier this year, as I was negotiating the liability insurance minefield, the question never came up. Niether AMICA nor Markel wanted to know if I relly knew what I was doing. Just wear rubber boots and send money. Despite this, I felt it would be prudent to have some documented ability. Also, I brought my CPR regitration up to date as well. Now, should I upgrade my first aid capabilities as well? Probably.

GEM: Perhaps you should document and post the process. Maybe it is on the site somewhere and I missed it. Any thoughts?

------------------
Rich in Richmond on the James

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”