Training Alone

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Neal

Training Alone

Post by Neal »

I have been recently placed in a situation that has left me without a training hall and a sensi.Due to a personal problem that was not related to karate Im now having to train alone.
I need any and all suggestions that would help further my knowlege of this wonderful art.Doing kata is a great thing but I feel that I need more and Im having no luck as to ideas of my own.
Im a new small fry in this art and Im not willing to change styles just yet.(if ever)I've worked too hard to change now.My worst fear is losing interest from not being in my usual routine of 4 nights a week at an hour and a half in the dojo.Plus the only other option is TKD in my town and Im not so sure about that.
I feel that Im about to go completely crazy...if there is anything that you could suggest,I would greatly appreicate it!!
Thanks in advance Neal
Kevin Mackie

Training Alone

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Neal , don't dismiss working out with the TKD practitioner. I did this for a while with a guy for a time when I couldn't go to a dojo. We stretched, kicked a heavy bag, punched , and sparred (he had all the MA equipment) This worked out okay as I kept in shape.

At a different time I happened to live next to a Uechi Nidan who did not have teacher and worked with him on exercises and kata.

Look around, talk to people at work or school, get to know some people in like situations.

Good Luck

Kevin
Neal

Training Alone

Post by Neal »

I was afraid to say where I was from only because I didnt want word to get back to my sensi and have him worry in his own paranoid way that I would be flaming him in some way or another...which is and will be far from the case.(you know how those vicious circles work) Image
I live in Pinehurst North Carolina.I have e-mailed the other dojo listed in the directory and Im waiting for a reply.He is close enough to travel to relatively easy if the class times work out.
Im also an advocate of "getting along" and Im not so concerned where I work out as long as its under the same Uechi umbrella.
Training with some of the TKD people in my area is something that I would do in second...what I ment in my earlier post was I didnt want to change over to that style.
Are there any other Uechi's in my state that anyone knows of??
Thanks to all for the help!
Neal
Scott Danziger

Training Alone

Post by Scott Danziger »

Neal,

I cut and pasted this from the Uechi Instructors list from the Main site:

Ray Soltis: High Point, North Carolina: UechiRu@aol.com
Darrell Paul Chagnon: Pinehurst, NC. (910) 695-7866

Judging from the 2nd entry on the list, you are either in luck or...

Anyway good luck! I know what it is like to train alone. It bites. However, the only thing worse than training alone, is not training at all.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited 04-17-99).]
Cecil

Training Alone

Post by Cecil »

Some tips from a dude that has trained alone (did it for a year)

1) stretch

2) develop your overall physical fitness

3) work on your basics A LOT

4) consider switching to another style. I know you don't want to do it, but believe me, there are more similarities than you think, particularly in the striking styles.

5) If you still don't want to switch, bounce around to the intro classes of other styles. I did a few (and I mean as in three) gungfu classes and I am still applying the basic blocking pattern that Sifu Burris taught me (and I still refer to him as Sifu. I just couldn't afford Sifu at the time. I can now, but I live too far away. However, I am considering trekking out there on a monthly basis once I reach 1st Dan at Tompkins, as black belts basically self train at that point in my current system). You'd be surprised. I had to leave a TangSooDo school due to a move. Before I left, the master just gave me a few tips, tips I am still working on, and tips that have saved my buttocks. Sometimes if a teacher thinks you are really serious but knows it's not your fault that you can't train all the time, they will give you good ADVICE that can go a long way.

6) do stance work

7) do meditation. The guy I refer to as a Jaded Master, he meditates now. He's gotten his stuff down to where he doesn't have to think about it. If he can fling a man (myself) across the room who has a good 85 or more pounds on him and is nearly half his age, I think he may be on to something.

8) talk about your situation around people who have martial interests. Like someone mentioned, most really GOOD senseis don't advertise.

9) again I say consider switching, but as in to a complementary deal, like Aikido, Judo, Yudo (korean judo), Aikijitsu, Jujitsu. Still keep up the Uechi, so that way, when you can go back to where your heart is (Uechi) you may know some other stuff to apply to it.

10) get the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. Read it three or four times, "take what is useful" and work out of it. Bruce was on to something!

Cecil

------------------
Email: <A HREF="mailto:creativebrother@yahoo.com">creativebrother@yahoo.com</A>
Web Page: http://creativebrother.freehosting.net

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”