A little help, please?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Greg

A little help, please?

Post by Greg »

Well, here's a post I never thought I'd be making... friends and family are in shock... Why's that, you ask? On Tuesday, I became a member of the U.S. military, specifically the Air Force!

I'm still a bit wierded out by the whole thing - but that's not why I'm posting. In addition to totally changing my life around, this is going to necessitate a move away from Mattson sensei's dojo, where I have been privileged to train for the past nine or so years.

The help I am hoping for is twofold. I will be stationed at Wright-Patterson in Dayton OH. From a combination of Mapquest.com and the instructor listing, it seems the nearest dojo is 190 miles from the base. While not the end of the world, I'm kind of hoping to find something closer...

The first question I have is: who's out there in the area? I'm interested to hear from people who do Uechi in the area (whatever assoc.) or of anyone who can point me in the right direction. I tell ya, folks, when there were posts recently about managing one's training in between a regular dojo stint, I should've been paying more attention! I've been spoiled - and I suppose I shouldn't complain, but this is going to be a hard transition...

The second question (although I may kick myself later for asking it) is more out of curiousity. For all of you active and reserve folks out there, any thoughts, pointers, etc. about survival in the service? Remember, please, to be kind (i.e. this is not the time to say "are you f-ing crazy?!" - the decision has already been made...), and to give constructive suggestions.

Please also feel free to e-mail me at <A HREF="mailto:gpostal@xpres.net">gpostal@xpres.net</A> with any info about dojo etc.

greg (1st Lieut. Gregory Postal, USAF) Image

[This message has been edited by Greg (edited 04-29-99).]
Van Canna

A little help, please?

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Greg ,

You will be sorely missed ! I have enjoyed your friendship and camraderie ! I know this was coming but I was in denial ! Good luck my friend !

------------------
Van Canna
Greg

A little help, please?

Post by Greg »

Sensei,

Thank you very much. You know, of course, that there will be a party before I go...!

greg
david

A little help, please?

Post by david »

Greg,

I think you gonna look great in a Blue uniform! Can't I have your black leather jacket when I go to your party?

david
Allen M.

A little help, please?

Post by Allen M. »

Holy Toledo! You're leaving us? Good luck at Wright-Pat.

The entire midwest is sparse territory for Uechi-ryu and you might just have to start your own dojo unless you get lucky.

------------------
Allen - uechi@ici.net - http://www.uechi-ryu.org
Greg

A little help, please?

Post by Greg »

David,

I'll trade you the jacket for that folder you had with you last Saturday!

greg
JOHN THURSTON

A little help, please?

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hey Pal: Start your own temporary dojo, assuming you are comfortable with that.

(I don't know what your "rank" is )

In the darkages we had a nice gentleman from New Brunswick drive down once everey six months,and learn new material. Since he was the only Uechi guy WE knew up there at the time (1978) we had little options.

Not an ideal situation, but it was ok for a while. I guess be clear to the students what your are trying to do. TRain together with some help from distance but interacytive friends.

Ask Sensei GEM about it.

JOHN T

------------------
Chris Long

A little help, please?

Post by Chris Long »

Congradulations!!

What a great place, what a great place....to start!!?! I know your pain, and am on the same road. After having the fantastic opportunity to train under Galsheen-Sensei for damn near 5 years, I started my active duty service. In Lubbock, TX, home of damn near nothing. So after researching all the available options, I took Kempo for one year, and when that dojo folded, Tae Kwon Do for 2 years. No, I didn't agree with everything that was taught or practiced. Yes, I learned quite a bit. Then I got to move to Japan. And hooked up with Takamiyagi-Sensei. But I was still quite isolated being in Tokyo (Yokota, for those of you that are intimately familar with the Air Force). Sporadic training in Okinawa had to be supplemented, so I opened a dojo at his request.

This was a frightening concept at first. I did it mostly so that I would reliably practice. Talk about selfless behavior - Ha ha. Anyways, this ended up being my epiphany - I like to train, and I like to teach. I only knew half of that about myself when I opened up. Quite a surprise. So OK, you don't have "training" partners for awhile. But when you do, they sure mean a lot to you. And there is the sneaky side benefit (I think Takamiyagi-Sensei did this to me on purpose, having seen my numerous weaknesses) of doing basic movements ALL THE TIME. "All is in Sanchin." This famous statement makes more sense when you live in the realm of "All I do is Sanchin."

So what do you do? I highly recommend BOTH some cross-training AND opening a dojo (if this is at all feasible). It has been my experience that Uechi people literally fall out of the woodwork once a Uechi dojo is around. We are a much more mobile society than we give ourselves credit for. Knowing all this, I was still reluctant to open up for the two short years I would be in Flagstaff AZ. But once I did, I found/stumbled on Shodans, a Nidan, several brown belts, and a hell of a lot of interest. You know, the kind of thing that feeds your idealism (the very thing that probably got you into this military mess...) And the Flagstaff dojo goes on.

I am still in the Reserves - going to Kosovo in fact (but not until I spend a couple weeks in Okinawa). And my life-style remanins mobile. And the hardest thing I face is giving the reins of a dojo I started over to another. Because every time I start one (even though I have to move), I have a capable assistant who is ready to take over. But it hurts saying goodbye. Is it worth it? HELL YES!!!

So worry less, cross-train if you can, and open a dojo if at all possible!! You are in for a hell of a good ride. Make the most of it.

Chris Long
Bill Glasheen

A little help, please?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Greg

I second what Chris wrote.

Chris

Dodge them bullets in Kosovo, and give my best to Takamiyagi sensei. And yes, I haven't forgot that I need to send you something....

-- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”