BUKA TC and David Moy's Flow Drill

Free listing of Events, Tournaments, Seminars & Products RELATING to the Martial Arts.

Moderator: gmattson

LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

David:

Could you come down to the Brockton Uechi-ryu Karate Academy on a Monday night to give the TC members a seminar concerning your flow drill that Van-sensei has been telling me about?

We will be closed on Memorial Day, but any other Monday after that will OK.

------------------
Len
david

Post by david »

Hi Len,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Just got back into town from a spring break. Image

Just a clarification. What I work on usually are reflex drills. "Flow drills" are prearranged and go according to set pattern of back and forth attacks and counters. In this sense, kyu and dan kumites are "flow drills." When you break out of the "flow" at random times and with techniques not encompassed in a specific flow, it becomes more a "reflex" drill.

A previous thread which gives a explanation what I do and what I am trying to achieve was in Van sensei's forum:
http://www.xpres.net/~gmattson/ubbs/Forum2/HTML/000500.html

Anyway, it would my pleasure to come down and run through it for BUKA. What time does you class start? I will find a Monday in the coming month to do that.

david
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

David,
The TC meets monday nights (except memorial day) from 7:30 till when Sensei Van says its time to stop. Looking forward to seeing you there. Don't know where Len is, must be a ball game on tv....
f.
david

Post by david »

Thanks, Fred. That's a good time and allows leeway to drive from work to BUKA, with some time for getting lost. Image

david
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

David,

When you come down,we will start with a half hour TC warm-up, then you can have the rest of the class. I believe that your "reflex drills" are so important that they should be made an integral part of the Dan test.

People reading this should be taking advantage of this opportunity, but they will not. Once you see the drills , especially if David brings along one of his "mates", you will want to throw all the prearranged stuff away. Image

------------------
Van Canna
LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

david:

Thanks for deciding to come down to the BUKA TC to show us your reaction drill.

Please post the date that you will come down here on this forum so others may show up if they are interested.

------------------
Len
david

Post by david »

Hi Len,

I am shooting for this coming Monday. It would be preferable if folks have some safety gear for the drills. Again, this is not sparring but folks may get poked here and there. If not, something's off. Image

My training partner, William, may join me. Directions to your dojo please.

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited June 01, 2001).]
LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

We will see you this Monday.

I hope it is not too soon for others to come down and join in.

Directions to the Brockton Uechi-ryu Karate Academy

------------------
Len
david

Post by david »

Len,

Sorry if it's sooner than expected. My schedule is so variable between work and family stuff... So, I grab the time I can.

Actually, I prefer and am used to smaller groups. Image Anyway, the drills are not about techniques but a "structure" for developing reflexive action. Folks can get the structure and use it anyway they want and work with anyone they want.

david
LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

We are greatful that you are coming down to show us this drill.

the drills are not about techniques but a "structure" for developing reflexive action.

Exactly what we are looking for David. Image

I hope I can retain enough in one session to be able to teach it to my students.

------------------
Len
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Looking forward to it david. One of the classmates is having some minor medical procedure done but I'll call him so he can watch at least.
What kind of gear should we have for the drills?
fred
david

Post by david »

Fred,

Sorry that I saw this post so late. Just hand and feet protectors (though we may not get to the latter), cup and mouth guard if you value these. Image

See you tonite.

david

Return to “Events, Products & Services”